[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 139 KB, 650x478, 1486798885307.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9129701 No.9129701 [Reply] [Original]

Can writing out your feelings and ideas and memories help to tear down some mental blocks i have? Im asking people who have done it before, not just "no shit anon read freud"

>> No.9129705

>>9129701
aw man goddamn i used your instead of my in the first sentence now im all inconsistent

>> No.9129954

>>9129701
YES, how couldn't that potentially help you understand?

365 days in a year. if I have only 365 distinct thoughts in a year, thats still a heck of a lot to remember and keep track of... Of course its nice to write down your thoughts, so you can study how and why you think the way you do, and see if you can find any inconsistencies, or 'badnesses' or improvements, or anything to improve on, and just keep writing all the time, will improve your ease of writing, the freeness of your mind and thoughts, unless of course the mental blocks you have is brain cancer.

What are these mental blocks? if you can describe them

>> No.9130003

>>9129954
ive been having trouble thinking about memories that are a few months old. I know there's a pattern where short term or "recent" memories sort of settle down and become long term memories, and ive recognized the gestation period--for example, memories of spring settle in during the summer, and memories of my summer settle in that winter--but this year im having trouble remembering my spring, and my summer, and even a lot of my memories from childhood. The ones i still remember clearly from last year all blend together in a faceless, colorless cluster; there are no seasons or phases that divide them, no "ah, early summer, what a good time, that was so peaceful" or "oh, August, when things went south". theyre all meh.

I might have ruined them by trying to think back on them too hard this fall, when my worldviews changed albeit subtly, but if you're talking about how you see life and the universe and the world around and in you every change is dramatic. For some reason i became obsessed with hoping to recover and reconcile the period before that with the current one, and as a result they alll just bled together for a while. Now, i can barely remember them. An entire half of a year is nothing but faded and worn out memories to me.

Ive always been an extremely nostalgic person. As a kid, id think back with the wistfulness of an old man, and as a teenager i'd do the same every summer, just take the three months to reflect on the sum total, then wonder what'll come next. I've always been extremely connected to my past and who i used to be, and now that its suddenly stopped its left me kind of terrified and unrecognizable to myself. I just hope theres some magic maudlin and tea remedy that can help them come back naturally.

I doubt i'll need therapy, but i know ive screwed myself pretty hard here. Guess i just needed to write it out.

>> No.9130042

>>9130003
Also, ive been going through a period of melancholy and tiredness which last caused a lot mf my favorite hobbies and passions to turn sour. Reading to me is now a dull, monotonous, and shallow activity; ive had many teachers tell me there will be times when i feel "burned out", and i know that ive finally reached my first phase. I'm absolutely sick of the same styles, the same words used by every critic and stylist, the pompous circlejerk of criticism and idea sharing (how many times am i going to hear the same three analyses of Whitman, Joyce, Yeats? And i'm not even majoring in lit), and the now unimpressive works of "poetry" that used to make me shudder. Ive tried to swear off reading for a tolerance break, but habit brings me back to it. I might even purge my shelves save my absolute favorites to make sure i keep my word. This might contribute; last winter, spring and summer was when i got into serious literature, and it was the happiest ive ever been, but, as ive been warned by other anons, this wears out into extreme tiredness and even existential worry.

The obvious solution is to swear off everything but my absolute favorites, the truly universal and enlightening books, and forget the rest. But thats fucking hard. I'm not sure how far ill go to break the cycle.

>> No.9130193

>>9130003
>ive been having trouble thinking about memories that are a few months old. I know there's a pattern where short term or "recent" memories sort of settle down and become long term memories, and ive recognized the gestation period--for example, memories of spring settle in during the summer, and memories of my summer settle in that winter--but this year im having trouble remembering my spring, and my summer, and even a lot of my memories from childhood. The ones i still remember clearly from last year all blend together in a faceless, colorless cluster; there are no seasons or phases that divide them, no "ah, early summer, what a good time, that was so peaceful" or "oh, August, when things went south". theyre all meh.
Thats why you write everything down... You dont think a person can remember a million things do you? If you want to be sure you will remember something, like you want to be sure your money will be safe, you put it in a safe, you write down your memory (bank)

>An entire half of a year is nothing but faded and worn out memories to me.

When I was younger, I used to think "doing cool things, to have cool memories... was cool", was the thing to do, the smart and good and valuable thing. If I go adventuring, I will have all these memories my peers will not have, that I can reflect back on and enjoy for the rest of my life.

But then I learned or realized, or maybe this is just me, that I cant subsist much on dwelling in my memories... I mean, adventures, and for memories, is a great thing for writers, for writers that is part of the point. So I cant regret adventures and things ive seen that make my mind go different and think different and see different that I can write down.

And while I will still always be down to go on adventures, hang with friends, travel... I dont do
so because I think "yeah, I am gaining memories!", I think "I want to have an interesting, good, enjoyable, fun time, maybe something exciting will happen, something novel, I can jot down, sunset, trees, mountains, a friend said this or that" I maybe can bring up some memories of this past year,
I dont dwell in them often (I have taken probably over 500 pictures in my life, of travel and object... photo, music, writing, painting/drawing is how I capture my spirit, how I trap my memories.. It is really nice looking back on photos I took, even if not of people, just an item or something that will remind me, oh yeah stayed in this persons house in Tennessee, and then the memories flood back, as they do in that way anyway, you have a Node : Baseball.. and then you can kind flood your memory bank searching for all relations to Baseball... oh yeah playing catch with dad as a kid, going to my first pro game... little league, , hot dogs, pretzel, remember a hit.. .etc.

I hardly think of my childhood at all, and I rarely dwell on my memories, because me personally am always go go forward on war go go go, new info new info more more more new better faster

>> No.9130206

>>9130003
Has any major changes taken place, diet, substances/drugs/alchol, sleep patterns, work loads, increase tv/internet time?

at some point, maybe 7 or more years ago now, I stopped thinking about my past before that point, much, pretty much at all. Like it never even happened, figured there was so and too much in the world I was interested in and wanted to obsessively know about, plus nothing happening too ground breakingly special in my youth, and if so, I would write about it and then have no need to think about it again; that I didnt want to waste my time or memory thinking about such things, as I wanted to focus all my attention and potential memory on novel stuff.

And well, maybe I am not a good one to talk to about this, because I pretty much stopped doing anything that would be worthy of remembering, like even going outside much... and imagine working an office job, what much would be worth remembering about the 5x days a week x12?

I hate to say it but it might be a natural part of growing up. You should try to capture all thats valuable to you before you forget it, and then move onto making new, is my ending advice I suppose.

>> No.9130212

>>9130042
>And i'm not even majoring in lit
What are you majoring in?

No reason to actually destroy your books or something, any families attic you can store them in? Is this a new and improved "theres no point to reading literature" bait thread?

I mean... what did you expect... I guess you expected to continually experience greater and greater quantities and qualities of pleasure as you continued to read more and more novels?

(and also you are developing Alzheimer's)?