[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 30 KB, 512x384, writers-block.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
905855 No.905855 [Reply] [Original]

I write as a hobby. The problem is I can never come up with conflicts/resolutions that I like. They all feel very weak or stale.

I enjoy coming up with characters and turns of phrase but I just never know where to start with conflicts/resolutions/plotlines

Any words of sage advice from the /lit/erati?

>> No.905861

sage advice. lol.

>> No.905863

Just adapt real life conflicts you've had to deal with.

If you haven't had any, stop writing and go live.

>> No.905865

>>905861
I regretted that wording as soon as I posted.

>> No.905867

Base conflicts on incidents you've experienced in your own life or conflicts that you're very familiar with and then allow your characters unique perception to adapt to the circumstances enveloping him.

>> No.905868

>>905863
...I honestly don't know why I never thought of that before.

>> No.905872

Cut out paper dolls of the characters you create. Play with them. Write about it.

>> No.905875

Scan the news. I do this. Real conflicts are real.

>> No.905878

Wish I could offer some advice, but I'm having trouble just coming up with a goddamn story.

>> No.905899

Watch starwars.

Steal EVERYTHING.

>> No.905912

Implimenting your own struggles into the stories isn't always best, writing what you know is sometimes boring. Or go with basic themes such as betrayal, victimisation, loss, love, economical struggles, family issues. If you have well structured, relatable or difficult to understand characters then the plot/conflict should be made much easier.

>> No.905931

>>905912

>writing what you know is sometimes boring.

The tricky part is knowing when to deviate from your real world experience. If you do it right, you'll be left with an interesting but authentic scenario.

>> No.905950

writers are always most critical assholes