[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 42 KB, 286x475, 52036.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9016082 No.9016082 [Reply] [Original]

Can we talk about how shit this book is?

I just find it really funny how people will trash books like The Alchemist, then cream themselves over Siddhartha.

I'm convinced it's because one appears on Oprah's reading list and the other appears on somewhat more esoteric lists, like, oh, I don't know, an infographic on the internet.

The substance of the books is entirely the same: Boy looks within and finds divine inspiration, and is helped along his path by magic.
Nothing is elaborated upon, except for that the kid got a job as a professional dolphin polisher and eventually took over as top dolphin polisher for his hard work. It's fucking retarded.

tl;dr the same people who hate The Alchemist love Siddhartha but they are literally the exact same book. Explain.

>> No.9016101

Personally, Siddhartha was more enjoyable to read because of its language. I don't know if this is truefor everyone, different translations etc. Both of these books are pretty trash imo. Boring, predictable - it feels like they were written for someone that is very young. Anyways, you are probably right - alot of people will like something because of what they should like. Yawn.

>> No.9016104
File: 62 KB, 600x327, american-psycho-bateman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>reading for plot

>> No.9016108

>>9016082

I found it an extremely peaceful thing to read.

>> No.9016112

Somebody cannot into subtext.

>> No.9016567

>Boy looks within and finds divine inspiration, and is helped along his path by magic.
>the kid got a job as a professional dolphin polisher and eventually took over as top dolphin polisher for his hard work.

You didn't read the book. Dismissed.

>> No.9016691

It's trash that appeals to the same kids that like Alan Watts.