[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 29 KB, 372x497, james_joyce.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
895796 No.895796 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/

Aspiring writer here. I go to community college and I'm SO much smarter than all my teachers! Whenever I turn in a piece of literature, they tell me it's "overreaching", "pretentious", or "nonsensical." Personally, I think my style is very Joycean. Let me know what you guys think, I posted this on my blog and it got some really positive responses.

IV

I’ve literally written over 150 pages worth of work—some double-spaced, some not—this semester. Granted, most of this work has been dubiously easy, but my efforts have left me begging for some personal freedom. Not included in this page-count is the myriad of short stories and other such fiction that I’ve written for a few journals. I enjoy writing, but similar to many people in my standing, only when it fosters creativity or intellect—not when it’s contrived to reiteration of unclear premises and muddled discrepancies. I’ve written a few pieces of worth, though most is just squandered academic rhetoric for the sake of unneeded practice.

Philistine, comatose, emaciated, bombastic labor in the doldrums.

Not that I’m against discipline or the honing of a craft; I wholeheartedly agree that one must assign his or herself to keeping up a steady pace in order to perfect a craft. It’s not the future of the work that bothers me—just this semester. As far as this one goes, I just don’t know how much effort I can keep putting forth.

Four more pages.

IV.

Then I’m done for now. I’m not complaining; I’m just not challenged. A curriculum of terrible film and ineffective instructing will do that, I suppose.

Four.

I’ve grown tired of even seeing ivoried pages of empty word documents. I’ve just got a few more hours to kill before I’ve hallowed this semester out.

For what?

>> No.895806

OP here:

Excuse me? The only troll here is YOU. What the hell? Where do you get off, prick?

>> No.895804
File: 78 KB, 416x505, 1271008242120.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How about get the fuck out troll.

But on a serious note, I wonder how many accomplished writers actually did have troubles with their profs. I know Stephen King swore that they were basically useless

>> No.895811
File: 3 KB, 127x127, babbymad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>895806
Zero
Out
Of
Ten

>> No.895820

stop posting this, it sucks, try harder, have a point.

>> No.895823
File: 32 KB, 512x341, reactionlol1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Philistine, comatose, emaciated, bombastic labor in the doldrums.

>> No.895829

>>895820

OP here:

Wtf? If you're going to criticize me, at least make it CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Do you know what that means? Jesus, the trolls are out in full force tonight.

>> No.895832

>>895804
That's funny, because Stephen King's son taught me creative writing at Columbia.

He was kind of a dick.

>> No.895834

>>895832
>taught creative writing

yeah, ok

>> No.895841

Man, I thought this was going to be something funny. Something along the lines of "The Penis Was" or a parody of The Catcher in the Rye". Instead, an almost good opening, then no follow through.

>> No.895844 [DELETED] 

>>895792

WwW.ANOLoltAlK.se repLACe Lol wItH N
te k sfvypmo swehp rck ntp p fadh n

>> No.895845

This is truly horrible, your professors are completely right. I enjoy Joyce very much and you greatly insult his work by comparing your drivel to his excellence.

>> No.895848
File: 21 KB, 415x329, artist_content.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>895832
Oh wow, really?

Is he very good? I'd figure he'd get the job just because his father is a big shot

>> No.895850

Nice trolling buddy. On the off chance that you aren't a troll, I would tell you that stringing long words together does not always constitute good writing. In fact, unless you are writing for a 19th century audience, it never does.

>> No.895854

>>895796
>hallowed this semester out.

You made this semester holy?

>> No.895853

>>895804
That would make sense since King lacks most knowledge of literary structure and tends to drone and marty sue every character ever.

>> No.895858

>>895793
WWw.anololTALK.Se_rEPLaCE lOl_WITh_n
n ofrb tcrzmjr w i d qtl v jvlk

>> No.895862
File: 20 KB, 313x330, artist_glasses.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>895853
His early Novels had structure. The Shining, for instance is quite possibly my favourite king book.

Later on however he kind of turned into a hack.

>> No.895875

Your thesaurus is showing.

>> No.895881

My teacher my teachers my teachers my teachers

>> No.895906

I read that out loud and laughed my ass off. Nice parody of pretentious english students OP.

>> No.895938

>>895794
wwW.AnolOltALK.SE RePlaCE Lol_with_N
kffal q o c g nynfbovsy rkmjovazqxwtioxsepgnm lxu

>> No.895962

copy-paste

>> No.896778
File: 617 KB, 570x4550, BESTCOMIC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

putting big, overused words into your argument does not make you a good writer. It does make you look very pretentious.

try learning a thing or two from Hemingway brother, I'm sure your goals are noble, but you're going about it the wrong way.

>> No.896789

>>896778

what he said.

>> No.899153
File: 31 KB, 432x571, hemingway.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Someone explain to me why Hemingways prose was so revolutionary. Short sentences can actually get rather annoying.

>> No.899158

ftw -- do what u want

>> No.899164

>>899153

Try reading Henry James and look at the difference.

I'm not an expert and I have't read much Hemingway but it's clear to see what he was doing that was new, or at least Modern. And talking of which, perhaps there's something in that. The literary orthodoxy of the English language novel throughout the 19th century was realism, and the attempt to describe reality as it is, but Hemingway's prose involves a very intense and limited artistic selection - he does not include everything, just what's important. This conviction of what he thinks is important to describe tends to be reified in his work into a statement of what is really truly objectively important. Plus, it makes him harder to get because meaning hangs on much smaller turns of phrase (and if anything in art was fetishised when he was writing, it was Difficulty).

>> No.899233

sage goes in all fields