[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 237 KB, 970x545, 01-The-Eye-of-the-World-outside.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8939038 No.8939038 [Reply] [Original]

Yall figgas ever read The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
How do you think it stacks up against A Song of Ice and Fire

>> No.8939063

>>8939038
Great ideas but a not-so-great writer
Fantasy could be good i swear.

>> No.8939097

Would advise against starting WoT unless you are a committed fantasy reader. The series is extremely long. The first few books are good, many of the remaining books are tomes of filler where very little happens. Then to top it off the author died and the last few books were finished by someone else. It's similar to ASOIAF in some ways as the author is ruining that series too with filler and will likely never finish it.

>> No.8939181

>>8939038
WoT is classic sprawling high fantasy, and sort of reads like a shonen anime (goes on forever, power levels, no I was behind you the whole time, etc.)

aSoIaF is more like a soap opera in written form, and reads a lot like a television script.

>> No.8939577

>>8939038
Over the years I've read books 1-12 four times all the way through, then all the way through again 1-13, then again 1-14.

Re-reading the whole thing from scratch once more and I'm still catching details that I missed.

>> No.8939632

Wheel of time is more traditional epic fantasy. Its long but can be read quite quickly - I can finish a book in about 12 hours. If you are on vacation it could be a two week read.

The delivery is simple, but the underlying story and themes are actually quite complex. Unfortunately I find Sanderson tends to write very superficially so most of the complex character motivations and misaligned goals disappear once he takes over.

Game of thrones was one of the early grimdark/realistic fantasy series and I find it reads much more slowly. Certain chapters and characters are a chore to read. There is also a very high probability it will never be finished,

I would recommend WoT over GoT but I don't consider either to be spectacular.

>> No.8939651

>>8939632
>Unfortunately I find Sanderson tends to write very superficially so most of the complex character motivations and misaligned goals disappear once he takes over.

The sudden change in pacing between book 11 and books 12-14 was like a breath of fresh air.