[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 315 KB, 965x1210, 9876567890987.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8915369 No.8915369 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/

I'm sure you'll well read, but how do you fair in articulating your thoughts? Is your vocabulary consistent with your library? How do you avoid sounding pretentious?

I'm interested in your transitional experiences.

>> No.8915373

>>8915369
I would tell you about it but I'm not very good at it.

>> No.8915396

>>8915369
>how do you avoid sounding pretentious

Seek the others - Tim Leary

Leary was a colorful guy but I always liked this piece of advice. You'll go mental if you try to avoid sounding pretentious. Pretense is natural, it's part of confidence and growth. The best way is basically just to have conversations with people who think about and are interested in the same things you are, so that you don't get frustrated feeling the need to bring others up to speed.

Pretentiousness comes from loneliness and insecurity. And maybe lack of an appropriate challenge or purpose. But those aren't sins. It's natural to feel that way. If you're doing the right work in a place where there is mutual respect it shouldn't be an issue.

Context is everything. Good luck finding those places anon.

Failing that just wear a party hat or grow some crazy facial hair. Then you can be as pretentious as you like. It worked for Nietzsche. And if he wasn't pretentious we would have lost a great philosopher! Under the right conditions, pretension is very charming...

>> No.8915561
File: 497 KB, 500x206, Burn with me.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8915396
Not op but

This is honestly the best comment ive read in a while. Im crossboarding from /his/ and honestly wish more comments like this were to be found on my home board.

>> No.8915654

>>8915396
Screen-capped for safekeeping.
What you just said was simply beautiful.
Thank you, anon.

>> No.8916035

>>8915396
Wow. That's some real solid advice there.

So I guess the strategy to not be pretentious is to be where you belong and have sufficient purpose? What if you are socially awkward? I could do a lot, as I have excessive passion, but the environment that I would have to be in to do anything of purpose is made uncomfortable by my presence. If the speed of you losing the ability to learn andyour excusable naivety is faster than you can gain social experience, aren't you doomed to develop increasing pretentiousness? So isn't pretentiousness a direct consequence of an isolated upbringing? Or am I just pathological?