[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 120 KB, 510x680, amusing-ourselves-to-death[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8887142 No.8887142 [Reply] [Original]

What are the most redpilling, game-changing books on how media affect our lives? Especially the Internet, video games and TV. Already read McLuhan's stuff.
Is pic related any good?

>> No.8887148

Yeah, it is. Bit outdated, but lots of interesting thoughts that are still vigent.

>> No.8887181

>>8887142

So, I'm neither trying to be ironic nor trolling. If you've read IJ then read Although of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself. If you haven't read IJ Read that and then IJ. DFW goes into a lot of detail about what entertainment is and how it affects us. It's really good stuff even though the /lit/ard trolls will just give you shit about it.

>> No.8887197
File: 55 KB, 431x450, 75569-004-3B260631.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Socrates on women.
>Socrates: You say that you cannot be happy without a women.
>X: correct
>S: I assume the relationship with said women would involve sex on a regular basis?
>X: Yes
>S:Just to clarify, having this would make your life better. As in, make you happy. Suggesting that at this moment you are unhappy until you get sex?
>X:Yes
>S:Therefore it is right to assume that all your life, there has not been a moment where you were happy? Outside of having sex with a woman of course.
>X: Well uh...
>S: Birthdays? Christmas? Hanging out with friends?
>X: You win socrates
>S: I am not finished yet. Don't end the fun too soon.
>S: When you crave delicious sweets. Are you eternally satisfied after indulgence?
>S: When you have exhausted a game. Do you go find another game to play? Or are you satisfied for life after one game?
>S: Therefore the pursuit of pleasure you are constantly striving for under the delusion that it would lead to a happy life is futile. For it is an infinite journey. And harms the soul for eventually the craving would get so big it would be impossible to satisfy in the moment. Even if you were the king of the known world!
X:You speak too much. But you have convinced me. But logic won't fix what I feel. I want what I don't have.
S: And you will always want what you don't have my dear friend.

>> No.8887223

Manufacturing consent desu

>> No.8888582

>>8887142
infinite jest , imo

>> No.8888602

>>8887197
Which dialogue is this from?

>> No.8888656

>>8887142

heres a post for you instead of a book: notice how you used redpilled (given to you by a movie, or on the internet aka through a screen), game-changing(straight from lowbrow media). see, media affects your life through language. shortcuts for thinking about ideas and concepts, and expressing yourself like how ideology is a shortcut for thinking about life.