[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 517 KB, 2560x1536, IMG_1283.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8869254 No.8869254 [Reply] [Original]

Lets get an education/ philosopher thread.
It's no doubt that philosophy is the best means to understand the world through abstraction of thought and critical thinking.However, how can we get this type of thought in education?

What does lit think of education and education reformers and what school of thought is best to educate the masses?

Where does philosophy play a role in education and how should we go about educating children when it comes to shaping individuals to take on the outside world? Why is it that public school is failing and what can be done about it?

Post who you think are great thinkers on this subject.
Pic related its Russell Bertrand

>> No.8869288
File: 57 KB, 500x500, IMG_1284.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What I like about Bertrand's works is his emphasis on the "spirit" of education, without enforcing particular opinions upon students.

He belived that education should be as free as possible, meaning that all things should be questioned as if they were to have no authority. The aims of an equation, with the use guided free thinking, is to guide an idividual that is intelligent, sensitive, courageous, and and vitality.

Education, as he belived, was constantly being influenced by governing powers and or arrogant powerful men who do more harm than good. This ultimately fails in the long run because resentment will grow.

Russel Bertrand seemed very critical of freedom as well. He belived that kids left to their own devices without guided understanding by teachers with the best interest in mind will only lead to further destruction.

>> No.8869308

It's a topic as old as Plato's Republic. Place the kid in the position to develop its individual potential.

Given the rise of functional illiteracy, I'd say one should start from literacy.

I would say that the second most important teaching is that learning and reading do not stop at the end of all compulsory education programs the citizen is required to attend, even children should get the idea that this thing called education is something that you do to yourself, not something that it is done to you.

Likewise parents are extremely important in the education of any child, again they must never think that the education is in the hand of the "authorized personnel" and administered exclusively at school, and to involve themselves is in their interests as well.

>> No.8869334

>>8869308
>even children should get the idea that this thing called education is something that you do to yourself, not something that it is done to you.

Very true. This is probably the most important relvelation I had in education, especially from an early start. While education was extremely boring and tedious, I realized early that it was up to me to better myself and work hard to learn as much as possible. In time, this attitude lead me into philosophy, and I was wanting to learn more. It is much easier for kids to take a passive apporach towards education, which inevitably leads to lack of focus and later no knowledge gained.

The problem I see for students is their inability to be motivated by education, but I guess they just need to find that spark.