[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 311 KB, 1280x960, ThesesStackBlue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
883639 No.883639 [Reply] [Original]

help me /lit/

i need to submit a thesis topic for my college class and it should center around filipino literature. i have NO IDEA what to research on. i have been turning around some vague ideas in my head for almost a week but i can't really decide on anything.

for any literature students out there, what were your theses about? im asking so i could have ideas on what to do. i really don't want to to do the usual - pick an idea, pick 10 stories or 15 poems to support it or insert theory into novel and dissect using it and all that jazz. i had this one stupid idea of doing a thesis about the program in my university but i don't even know how to start on that or if it is even literary. it might be more on journalism. im confused and experiencing drought. help?

>> No.883650

>>883639
>i really don't want to to do the usual - pick an idea, pick 10 stories or 15 poems to support it or insert theory into novel and dissect using it and all that jazz.
WHY? Because you have some silly idea about being better than that? If you can't think of something better, then fuck you, you're not.

Stop worrying about this shit and do what it takes to get the grade.

>> No.883655

Try to find a gene that proves how inferior they are

do your duty as a human being by promoting eugenics.

>> No.883671

>>883650

Seriously, just do this shit. You're a Lit major, they don't expect you to have ideas.

>> No.883676

>>883650
no, it's not like that

i want to do a thesis that will have a practical result. or something. i guess i just don't feel too confident about all this academia now unlike then when i was still a wide-eyed boy. and im really interested in the topics other lit students from different countries have pored on.

>> No.883682
File: 2 KB, 110x110, 1278456967643[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>883676
It's such a shame you're not a wide-eyed boy anymore. They go so well with bacon and eggs.

>> No.883685

>>883655
funny, i just finished reading jodi picoult's second glance. the backstory was about eugenics

>> No.883689
File: 37 KB, 500x492, israel-125year-old-man-laughing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>883676

>i want to do a thesis that will have a practical result.
>Studying Filipino Literature

>> No.883695

The Movie "Up" is based on a Filipino Film entitled "Helium" if that helps

>> No.883698

>>883689
it might have something to do with me being in the philippines

so am i the only lit student in a literature board?

>> No.883699

>>883676
Get off your wide-eyed ass and just do it

>> No.883703

no ideas in this board, unfortunately

>> No.883716

>>883698
lot more poli-sci and history students than actual lit students, i think. and lots more high schoolers than any of those. Also I think the "filipino literature" thing is putting people off.

do you have an adviser or professor you can talk to?

>> No.883722

You're fucked.

>> No.883730

>>883698
It's probably more than no one really feels like helping you do your homework. It's your assignment, not anyone else's, stop being a lazy fuck and figure it out yourself.

>> No.883731

>>883716
i have and i am yet to talk to them about it during thesis class tomorrow. the fil lit thing, it's just info. i just like to hear what other people has done with their thesis. a general thesis thread would be cool.

>> No.883736

>>883698

Like the other guy says, maybe talk to a professor etc. for advice, that's what they're there for.

And I'm doing like half a literature degree, but my dissertation is in the area that the other half of my degree is in, so I can't really help with my own thing.

>> No.883743

>>883736
so what's the dissertation about?

>> No.883751

>>883731

Oddly enough, I wrote about the portrayals of Filipinos in Detective Novels. And it's not the "yellow peril" which Asians are usually typecasted to (Fu Man Chu, anyone?)

>> No.883753

>>883751
wow. what were the stories you used?

>> No.883771

>>883753

There was an author named Raoul Whitfield who wrote about a Filipino/Spanish detective named Gar Logan. Although he was described as "the little island detective," Gar was actually smart (tricking people into admitting their crimes) and hardboiled (kicking the ass of men [White, Filipino, Chinese...didn't matter] and women [yes women]). But like most depiction Asians at the time, Gar didn't have a sex drive.

Other than that, Filipinos described by authors like Dashiell Hammett or Rex Stout are just houseboys who either a) die or b) subtly help the detective solve the crime.

>> No.883773

>>883743

the ways in which sounds and music are used in constructing and undermining diegesis in the work of various avant-garde film makers, and what this might tell us about how essential or non-essential sound is to cinema as a medium

>> No.883795

>>883771
im a fan of detective novels and that actually sounds interesting. my taste is limited to mainstream ones though. do you know any good detective fiction that have alternative plots? stuff that's not usual

>> No.883804

>>883773
the ygave us the option of making the thesis about films too and i have been thinking of using the idea of the soundtrack, usually from filipino films during the 70's. yours sound incredibly tight

>> No.883806

>>883795

What do you mean alternative plots? Describe what you usually read. But if I had to recommend some good detective writers it would be Dashiell Hammett, Ross Macdonald, and Raymond Chandler.

>> No.883808

hmmm

>> No.883809

yes

>> No.883824

>>883806
well, as i said, mainstream stuff. it's usually arthur doyle, agatha christie, dorothy sayers. when i meant alternative, i was thinking of doody's aristotle series and paul auster's new york trilogy. they had a different feel to the usual whodunit set. i've been meaning to read chandler's works for some time.

>> No.883827

>>883809
what?

>> No.883846

>>883824

Chandler is pretty good. Philip Marlowe as a detective is iconic so I would recommend you read everything from him (it's only like 8 books [they are really fast reads]).

I would also recommend Tony Hillerman, it's a nice blend of spirituality (doesn't go overboard in my opinion) with murder. I just recommend picking up one book of his and seeing if you like it, while I recommend reading all of Philip Marlowe...all of it.

>> No.883883

I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it.

>> No.885022

I am surprised to see that you haven't thought of Noli Me Tangere. It's probably the most famous piece of Filipino literature.