[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 24 KB, 220x325, Vineland.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8811588 No.8811588 [Reply] [Original]

Found this book at 3$, wath do you think about it?

>> No.8811600

>>8811588
pretty shit desu. his worst by far. you also overpaid by $2. sucks to be you tbqhwy

>> No.8811608

>>8811588
I liked it

>> No.8811610

>>8811600
i'm actually enjoying it pretty much though

>> No.8811616

>>8811588
Good but some characters get so preachy it's annoying.

Zoyd was pretty cool though.

>> No.8811753

>>8811588
lol I just bought it for 3$ for my friend for Christmas, he hasn't read any pinecone (lazy fuck)

>> No.8812023

it has an objectively shit "what was he thinking" middle section but the rest is really good

>> No.8813226

Pretty good. It's a kind of melancholy "we lost the war" reflection on hippiedom, a bit of "kids these days" jabs at the 1980's, and some classic Pynchonian history that pulls various perspectives and events together into some kind of coherence, whilst trying to get the picture from all sides.

It has some easy villains, but it's never taking aim so easily. Brock Vond is a caricature fed abusing his power but for a moment we are able to understand, even sympathize with him, and one of the main characters (no spoiler) is what culture has branded the lowest of the low: a rat, a fink, a narc, a snitch, and yet Pynchon handles the character with enough humanity that we almost want to defend them.

It's a very sleepy book, an impression you get from the beginning in the narrative's frame protagonist Zoyd Wheeler, sauntering around the house like The Dude and running errands in the pop-culture refuse of the 60's. The laughs don't quite hit like they did in Pynchon's earlier work, and the radicalism feels toned down, politically and literarily. It's an awkward transitionary period for Pynchon but it's still pretty good.