[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 789 KB, 500x375, Queens_Blade_S2_END1-01.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
880318 No.880318 [Reply] [Original]

Does critical analysis (especially deconstruction) enhance your enjoyment of a book or ruin it for you?

Pic unrelated.

>> No.880322

Only when people read into a subtext that isn't there.

>> No.880353

Deconstruction pisses me off. it's why I switched majors.

>> No.880354

The pic is perfectly related.

If you see what I mean.

>> No.880356

Depends on the book, really.

>> No.880376
File: 16 KB, 182x255, bloom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.880380

I've always had a bit of trouble defining deconstructionism, so if I'm overstepping my boundaries, let me know.

The basic text, the plot, the macro-meaning is the one purported by the author. And the micro-meaning, the deconstruction, the analysis of individual pieces within a larger work, reveal not the author's intention but rather the little details that make up the author's style and, perhaps, what captures the author's "time" (if time can be captured into a snapshot). Such micro-meaning may be intended by the author, occasionally, but not most of the time, and certainly not always.

Personally I don't see any gay shit in Dracula, and I think Stoker didn't intend to write any either, but there have been arguments; at the very least, his admiration(?) for Wilde might have influenced his Dracula in ways unseen by either him, or me.

>> No.880382

>>880322
this

>> No.880383

Not really, but I find it amusing to analyze a text through a seemingly inappropriate lens, e.g. analyzing Paradise Lost with Marxist theory.

>> No.881054

>>880322
This a thousand times.
How i hate those teachers who always talked about what the damn book means, what it "represents" or this.

And it was always gay and sex. ALWAYS.

>> No.881732

Sometimes it doesn't affect it, like when I had to study Lord of the Flies and Hound of the Baskervilles.

Other times it does, like when I had to study No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, but that was a shit book anyway :/

>> No.881751

Certain books beg Deconstruction, such as the works by Kafka (You can hardly appreciate The Castle without a bit of research and applied understanding of Kafka's thematic devices). I do not think Deconstruction is indespinsable for understanding, nor is it incompatible with enjoyment. Sometimes, it makes the book grander, such as when you consider the subtext of Moby Dick. Other timesm you are only doing it for a class, which can ruin the fun of anything.