[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 73 KB, 1024x768, quote-wallpaper3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
879713 No.879713 [Reply] [Original]

Favorite quotes? Mine are:

"The breaking of a wave cannot explain the entire ocean." - Nabokov

"The longer a blind man lives the more he sees." - Yiddish Proverb

"So little time and so little to do." - Levant

>> No.879731

"O Me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring;
Of the endless trains of the faithless—of cities fill’d with the foolish;
Of myself forever reproaching myself, (for who more foolish than I, and who more faithless?)
Of eyes that vainly crave the light—of the objects mean—of the struggle ever renew’d;
Of the poor results of all—of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me;
Of the empty and useless years of the rest—with the rest me intertwined;
The question, O me! so sad, recurring—What good amid these, O me, O life?

Answer.

That you are here—that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse."
O Me! O Life! - Walt Whitman

>> No.879750

"Bella, you give me everything by just breathing." - Stephanie Meyer

>> No.879763

"Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live." - Adolf Hitler

>> No.879759

"I saw to you today, my friends... I still have a dream." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

>> No.879766

‘You are not the kind of guy who would be at a place like this at this time of the morning. But here you are, and you cannot say that the terrain is entirely unfamiliar, although the details are fuzzy." -McNerney

>> No.879797

be the change u want to see in the world

>> No.879824

"For every space, a demon"

>> No.879830

He was a brave man who first et an oyster.
-- Johnson

>> No.879837

At least I have the modesty to admit that lack of modesty is one of my failings."
Hector Berlioz

>> No.879848

There are only 2 things that can ruin a man: love trouble, ambition, and financial catastrophe. And that's only three, and there's a lot more.

- Peter Altenberg

>> No.879867

"Within the darkness, you are no longer the hunter, you are the hunted. For it is there, you will be decived by Satan, And only God has the light to save you, when the darkness seeks to devour you." -me

I acquired this quote from a teenage girl's Facebook page. Thought /lit/ might enjoy it.

>> No.879870

He who despairs of the human condition is a coward, but he who has hope for it is a fool - Albert Camus

>> No.879898

Whoso would be a man, must be a nonconformist

>> No.879903

"Whose would be a man, must be a nonconformist"

-Emerson

>> No.879935

>>879867

Was that quote right below "Live. Laugh. Love <3" or "Don't put a question mark where God put a period!" ?

>> No.879952
File: 108 KB, 370x480, shakespeare.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This above all else, to thy own self be true.

>> No.879955

"There are no boring places, only boring people" -Pictures For Sad Children

"All I know is this: nobody's very big in the first place, and it looks to me like everybody spends their whole life tearing everybody else down." -One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

"Everything'll be alright, desolation is desolation everywhere and desolation is all we got and desolation ain't so bad-"
"Praise Lord, if you can't have fun turn to religion."
-Jack Kerouac

"Love me, because love doesn't exist, and I have tried everything that does." -Everything is Illuminated: A Novel

>> No.879963

>>879952

I also really like
"Cowards die many times before their deaths.", from Julius Caeser.

>> No.879975

"And in the darkened underpass I thought 'oh god my chance has come at last!' but then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask."
- Steven Patrick Morrissey

>> No.879990

>>879975

>falls in love with strangers on the internets regularly because of this quote
>also elevators at work but she's usually an alt whore so I dunno

>> No.880030

>>879975
>>879990
Hi-five. Over the internet, or, something, I don't know.

That album did so much to get me through being a teenager

>> No.880037
File: 18 KB, 400x371, internet high five.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>880030
Yeah man. Same here. That and Belle & Sebastian.

>> No.880062

>>880037
which album?

>> No.880063

“It is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence — that which makes its truth, its meaning — its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream — alone. . . . ”
--Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

>> No.880089

>>880062
Haha, like The Smiths, I'd say basically every album. But most, I suppose, If You're Feeling Sinister. I have a lot of favorite songs from B&S, but I can truthfully say I love every single track on that album.

>> No.880090

>>879713
"The breaking of a wave CAN explain the entire ocean." - Benoît Mandelbrot

>> No.880092

"Speak not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me. Look ye, Starbuck, all visible objects are but as pasteboard masks. Some inscrutable yet reasoning thing puts forth the molding of their features. The white whale tasks me; he heaps me. Yet he is but a mask. 'Tis the thing behind the mask I chiefly hate; the malignant thing that has plagued mankind since time began; the thing that maws and mutilates our race, not killing us outright but letting us live on, with half a heart and half a lung." -Captain Ahab

>> No.880103

I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet. ~Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

>> No.880120

>>879975
End of the pier, end of the bay
You tug my arm, and say : "Give in to lust,
Give up to lust, oh heaven knows we'll
Soon be dust ... "
- Stephen Patrick Morrissey<3

>> No.880130

>>879713

>Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo

>> No.880142

>>880092
good one

>> No.880172

No John, you are demons

>> No.880188

>>880172
Deep man.

>> No.880204

I used to love Morrissey thanks to an ex, then I found out she hooked up with her new BF thanks to Morrissey and oh well.

Fuck that homosexual man.

>> No.880215
File: 72 KB, 600x600, the-smiths-the-queen-is-dead.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>880204
Don't blame your faults on the Moz. All the more reason to drink yourself to death to The Queen Is Dead.

>> No.880300

>>879824
What is this from?

>> No.880594

"Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living! You said I killed you — haunt me, then! The murdered do haunt their murderers. I believe — I know that ghosts have wandered on earth. Be with me always — take any form — drive me mad! Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!" - Heathcliff

>> No.880612

"Endowed with the most prodigious imagination,with a taste for splendour, for theatre, for the grandiose, but also for games and for the sacred, Dali Disconcerts shallow minds because he hides truths by light, and because he uses the dialectic of analogy rather than identity. For those who take the trouble to discover the most esoteric meaning of his movements, he appears as the most modest and the most fascinating magician, who carries lucidity to the point of knowing that he is more important as a cosmic genius than a painter"- Georges Mathieu

>> No.880625

"Many that live deserve death. But many who die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not so quick to deal out death in the name of justice. Even the wise can not see all ends." -Gandalf

I typed that from memory and I wouldn't be surprised if I screwed up so if anyone can correct it go ahead.

>> No.880637

"Speak not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me." - Captain Ahab

>> No.880638

an exchange between Knuckles and Evil Force

K "go ahead, waste all the spell power you want"
EF "(one second pause) wanna play a game?"
K "It's a near-certainty that i will win, but, whatever."
EF "being sneaky again eh? okay, i dare you to use your ultimara6 spell on me. Go ahead!"
K "I will when i see you, and then some!"

>> No.880644

>ctrl+f OP is a faggot
>0 results

Why did you change, /lit/? ;_;

>> No.880686

"No one wants to be here, no one wants to leave." - The Road

>> No.880791

"I'm too drunk, to taste this chicken"
Colonel Saunders

>> No.880794

>>879952
Have you ever considered whose mouth that came out of? Surely that makes you doubt that advice a little?

>> No.880795

"I suck cocks without any disgust" OP

>> No.880808

"In most cases, people, even the most vicious, are much more naive and simple-minded than we assume them to be. And this is true of ourselves too." - Ayn Rand

>> No.880810

“Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right.” - Dr. Seuss

>> No.880811
File: 151 KB, 440x604, PTSD-Clarinet-Boy-Horror-Horror-has-a-face-and-you-must-make-a-friend-of-horror.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.880815

"Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it." - George Orwell.

>> No.881125

bum[

>> No.881149

One day a tortoise will learn how to fly.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

>> No.881158

'Beauty is the promise of happiness'

-Stendhal

>> No.881177

"I shall not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is that little death that brings total obliteration. I shall permit my fear to pass over me and through me and when it has passed I shall turn the inner eye to see its path. And where it has gone, only I shall remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

>> No.881578

"I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folk are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

The Scarecrow, in The Land of Oz by L Frank Baum.

>> No.881642
File: 37 KB, 325x378, wicked_logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"And there the wicked old Witch stayed for a good long time."
"And did she ever come out?"
"Not yet."

elphaba lives man. elphaba lives :'(