[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 57 KB, 300x425, Sony-Reader-Pocket-Edition-PRS-300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
877044 No.877044 [Reply] [Original]

eReader appreciation thread!

I have been using the piss out of mine.

Finally got through with Journey to West and will either be starting Water Margin or The Three Kingdoms next.

I also got all of Raymond Feists stuff and the Dresden Files on there. Changes was pretty god damned fast past and Jim Butcher needs to be clubbed for the way it ends.

Anywho, back on to my original topic. I am reading a lot more because of this little device. Anyone else getting good use out of theirs?

Oh, and before it is asked, eReaders will never replace books. They are simply another way to enjoy the medium.

>> No.877100

Do you have any free eBook sites to recommend? I got my Nook in the mail yesterday and have been searching the internet with little success. Mostly all I can find are PDFs, which aren't quite the format I'm looking for. .lit and ePubs are preferable.

>> No.877122

>>877100

Download this program called calibre.

It is free and will convert pretty much any text file to your preferred text file and will optimize the text for your eReader.

That is, if nook has a USB connection. I don't know if it does or does not.

>> No.877136

>>877100

Also, once you have calibre, just do a google search for the book you want and add download to the end.

>> No.877159

>>877122
Good to know. Thank you.

>> No.877181

Amazon just announced a new Kindle DX, selling for $379 (a price drop of over 100 dollars).

It's graphite colored instead of white. This is a good move, because black is a more neutral background that will help make contrast a little better.

Speaking of contrast, it also boasts a state-of-the-art Pearl eInk display, with 50% better contrast than current eInk displays. Pearl displays also use even less power than current models.

>> No.877197

I recently bought an Astak EZReader and I love it. Supports 20 formats, has a nice e-ink display, and can support 16 gb SD Cards. It's only 5 inches too. Was 223 bucks with two day shipping and it's already paid for itself with the books I've read on it.

>> No.877204

>>877122

Thank you, kind sir.

>> No.877216

Three kingdoms was kind of boring. Beheading beheading etc. I understand the interest of it but age doesn't really make for quality.

>> No.877217

>>877044
Demonoid has a fairly good selection of ebooks

>> No.877221

>>877216

Really? I love it. To each his own, I guess.

>> No.877339

>>877181
I'm considering to buy the kindle DX, does it have a SD card slot? Or am I stuck with the 3.3 GB of bookspace?

>> No.877383

i've been using kindles (1 and 2) ever since they came out.

I have never looked back.

Not paying for books is also cool.

>> No.877397

>/g/

>> No.877427

>>877339
>I'm considering to buy the kindle DX, does it have a SD card slot? Or am I stuck with the 3.3 GB of bookspace?

No SD slot I'm afraid. Still, that's enough for me to fit 700 books, many of which are multi-megabyte pdf files onto it. I'm not sure when I'd ever need more books on that at one time.

Maybe if I were going to be deserted on an island for 6 months or something.

>> No.877562

>>877427
Well yeah, if you're done reading you can just delete them. Also, what does /lit/ consider to be THE BEST e-reader?