[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 382 KB, 976x901, 1460872297502.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8751059 No.8751059[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Were people always this bored with life

>> No.8751103

>>8751059
Yes. That's why we have the arts.

>> No.8751118

The ones that weren't busy surviving 24/7 were

>> No.8751270

>>8751059
No:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z760XNy4VM

>> No.8751273

You just have to invent your own shit and convince yourself that what you're doing is worthwhile even though we all know we are doing pointless things.

>> No.8751277

>>8751059
No because back in the day they had wars, famines and disease to worry about

>> No.8751278

this is why we need another world war

>> No.8751291

A lot of people do the same thing day after day, year after year.

It's their own fault, essentially.

>> No.8751306
File: 1.80 MB, 1576x2271, Honoré_Daumier_017_(Don_Quixote).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8751273
>everything is pointless

This meme is just as groundless as the metanarratives it's supposed to replace. Not knowing the point of something ≠ it being pointless

>> No.8751366

Matter is a prison.

>> No.8751369
File: 51 KB, 1251x171, 1434186544287.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8751059
Pic related sums it up very well

>> No.8751374

>>8751306
the first sentence is on point, the second is entirely different and implies things that seem at odds with the first

>> No.8751375

>>8751369
your picture states everyone wants to just live a quiet normal life etc, as far as i can tell anyway.
does anyone wish thats all they wanted? do tell me if this is too r9k but sometimes i wish i could be satisfied with such an existence. banging staceys. watching football and drinking beer. 9-5 and off on weekends. there are literally hundreds of millions of people who live this life and are completely satisfied, to some extent anyway. meanwhile im scrubbing by, i have sex and a job and a house and a cat but its not enough. i desperately scour the internet and books for some sort of higher meaning or purpose, something to hit that existential null spot inside.. and its hit or miss. idk desu. DAE??!?!

>> No.8751378

>>8751375
You are unhappy because you do not have God. Take a leap of faith, repent, and believe in the Gospel. Then you will have life within you.

>> No.8751382
File: 190 KB, 1024x878, 1450048051769.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Reminder that sex heals every wound

>> No.8751387
File: 491 KB, 1000x706, 1443025696922.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>it's another upper class liberal whining episode

>> No.8751388

>>8751378
are you memeing me? i like the idea of god but im still on the fence- i would love to believe in god but a part of me resists bc muh logic and all that. are you supposed to just force it?

>> No.8751393

>>8751375
what happens if you spent your whole life trying to quench that thirst but find nothing does and nothing will. looking for a key that doesn't exist

>> No.8751394

Having been bored of life, I now wonder how anyone can be bored of life. It's endlessly fascinating.

>> No.8751395

>>8751388
God cannot be comprehended by human reason. There is no logical approach to God. You have to take a leap of faith. Only then will you have the kingdom of God within you.

>> No.8751396

>>8751378
>Take a leap of faith
hide fidiest threads
ignore fideist posts
do not reply to fideist posters

>> No.8751417

>>8751393
then you die i guess. not like i have a choice either way

>> No.8751470

>>8751388
God does not have to do with logic, nor brain. Faith is outside of brain, it manages to run away from reason. Faith is a gift that one should pray for, I do not know your situation, your character, tendecies. But one thing I now - God loves you, even if you dont acknowledge him, even if you say he doesn't exist. And I recommend you books that helped me find God: Tolstoy's War and Peace, Anna Karenina, Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. When I read those, even though the people described lived only in the imagination of the writer, and on top of that, were inspired by real people living over 200years ago - I very much saw myself in such characters as Pierre Bezukhov, Constantine Lewin, Andrew Bolkonski, all these were young men looking for something in life, looking for the answer, just like me and you. Pierre, for instance, being a millionaire thanks to his dad, was completely free, and he looked for happiness in many thing: from philosophy, charity, to brainless partying, women. And yet he only found happiness when he was a prisoner of war in Napoleons hands, being reduced to a prisoner, he, the big Count Bezukhov, one of the richest men in Russia, was for that time equal to plebs, simple russian peasants. And guess what: from them he learned how to apprieciate little things. What it means to be a man on this earth, with your father in heavens. From them he learned how to be happy.
Because it was written:
"I praise you, Father,Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children"
And that is true.

>> No.8751475

>>8751382
For like, 3 minutes.

>> No.8751495

>>8751059
I don't remember when was the last time I was bored, like with nothing to do.
The older I get the faster time flies and I get anxious thinking about all the things I could be doing. Even if I'm just sitting doing nothing time flies.

I can identify things/activities as boring, but they mostly just irritate me (say, watching a random movie). I probably also developed some ADD from all the internet use. Many such cases.

>> No.8751505

>>8751388
if you even an interest in God, i would greatly encourage you explore faith. nobody can or should force religion on you. if you havent read the bible yet, just read it. honestly theres no way you could read that and not get something out of it

good luck with your life anon

>> No.8751506

>>8751395
>God cannot be comprehended by human reason.
God cannot be fully comprehended by human reason, but many things about him can. We can understand that he is a necessary being, that he is timeless, all powerful etc.
>There is no logical approach to God.
Yes there is as shown by Augustine and his neoplatonism and Aquinas and his aristotelian approach, of course ignoring those between and after.
>You have to take a leap of faith.
Yes, but it isn't a blind one like protestants want you to believe.
>Only then will you have the kingdom of God within you.
You cannot have God within you without faith, but let us not pretend it is all a passion without reason.

>> No.8751512

>>8751505
>if you havent read the bible yet, just read it.

I don't understand this meme. Of all the ways to "get faith" why should an intelligent person choose to read the Bible (or dare I say, any book)?
I think the best advice is simply to join a church/community, that's where the benefits of religion are most obvious anyway.

>> No.8751516
File: 57 KB, 287x425, 167 IQ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>surrogate activities

>> No.8751524

>>8751512
>reading the foundation of the religion
>a bad way to learn about the religion
is lit always this retarded?

>> No.8751526

>>8751524
He's right though. Faith is a living, felt thing, not an intellectual abstraction.

>> No.8751531

>>8751526
>Faith is a living, felt thing
correct
>not an intellectual abstraction.
abstraction
əbˈstrakʃ(ə)n/
noun
the quality of dealing with ideas rather than events.

>> No.8751532

>>8751524
He's trying to become religious, not "learn about the religion".

>> No.8751533

>>8751475
>3 minutes

got a bit of a premature problem there anon?

>> No.8751542

>>8751531
Exactly, faith is not ideology but to feel Christ and know Him. I think >>8751512 is sound advice if one just dares to look past the analytic mindset one shields oneself with.

>> No.8751554

>>8751532
And he's not a child, so he doesn't need the "god is loving and caring" meme, he just needs to read the foundation(s) of whatever belief he's most attracted to and form his opinions from there.
The best way for an adult to learn faith is not through face-to-face discussion, but study of the materials that gave birth to it.
Otherwise you get absolute retards who give your faith a bad name.

>>8751542
It's not an ideology, it's a religion, the very basic essence of what necessitates its birth is the need for abstraction of ideas and morality.
>look past the analytic mindset
...you're fucking with me aren't you.

>> No.8751568

>>8751526
>>8751542
What on Earth are you talking about? Do you not think it might be a good idea to know what you mean when you say you 'know Christ'? How could you "know Him" when you don't even know His commandments?
Come to think of it, this is the problem with most ""Christians"" in the world today. They don't even know what they're supposed to believe. Not much of a surprise how fractured the church has become when nobody even reads the foundation their faith is based on.

>> No.8751600

>>8751388
Once you start exploring things like art and meditation and spiritually, it might just come naturally to you, that's what happened to me. I really don't know how though, best of luck :)

>> No.8751603

>>8751505
>>8751532
>>8751542
>>8751554
Lit is talking about me and giving me advice. Best day of my life desu. I think everyone seems to agree that reading the bible is probably of some benefit. I'm gonna give it a go I suppose. Maybe I'll learn something profound. When I was 16 or whatever I was a euphoric fedora tipper but that was a while ago. I can't help but feel like there's something there..

>> No.8751605

>>8751603
>Falling for the Christianity meme
At least pick something interesting like Zoroastrianism.

>> No.8751606

>>8751568
Universalism is particularly popular. People ignore both the scripture and the catechism whenever anyone tries, with direct quotations, prove otherwise. A grave anti intellectual spirit has entered the Church and Francis is the face of it. Ignoring theology for a bland idea of mercy is what Catholicism has become for many in the west, substantially the same to a weekend charity ngo.

>> No.8751608

>>8751603
Read Introduction to Christianity and Jesus of Nazareth by Joseph Ratzinger parallel to the bible to help put everything in perspective through a quality interpretation.

>> No.8751612
File: 89 KB, 800x640, fr-seraphim-rose.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8751603
>>8751606
>>8751568
>>8751554
Christianity should not be intellectual, you must open your heart to Christ and not your mind. You cannot understand scripture without faith, and it can be very dangerous to read without the proper training.
>>8751605
Faith is based on perceived truth and does not comply to a shopping list or what is most exotic.

>> No.8751621

>>8751612
Faith has been intellectual for the Church fathers, if it was for Justin, Oregin and Augustine, if it was for John the Evangelist, it should be for me.
You orthodox shills think that the mystical and the rational are somehow the opposite for some reason.

>> No.8751622

>>8751612
Memes are based on perceived popularity and does not comply to a shopping list or what is most funny.

>> No.8751624

>>8751612
>it can be very dangerous to read without the proper training.
Yeah you wouldn't that, it might lead to people finding out your institution is corrupt as fuck, abusing their power and what not.

>> No.8751642

>>8751568
The reasons Christians are fractured is precisely because everyone can just read that book which is a clusterfuck of contradictory ideas.

If Jesus wanted you to read books in solitude he would've said so. Instead he founded a Church, a living Church made of people.

>> No.8751643

>>8751374
I phrased it awkwardly, sorry. I only meant to say that a good epistemological skeptic should admit the possibility of there being a "point" to "everything", and saying that there isn't one is as big a metaphysical claim as any old metanarrative

>> No.8751653

Technology has presented us with relatively easy, bland lives.

>> No.8751668
File: 29 KB, 493x402, 1471331352024.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8751470
>"I praise you, Father,Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children"
SHEEEEEEIT

>> No.8751669

>>8751375
Just join the alt-right*, watch this:
https://youtu.be/kYT3jE1Xknc?t=5h22m46s

*Seriously though, the label doesn't matter, just do good stuff.

>> No.8751679

>>8751653
>Technology has presented us with relatively easy, bland lives.

Only for some people. Most people actually make that technology and keep it running, which is a job that doesn't afford them any boredom.

It's hard for me to see that the problem of boredom here, isn't a problem of class and a failure to see meaning in your actions. I mean, everyone of these people who are exceptionally bored should try volunteering for some homeless shelter, and then you will see that being kind to others and listening to their stories will give you meaning and make you respect yourself.

>> No.8751718

>>8751642
>If Jesus wanted you to read books in solitude he would've said so. Instead he founded a Church, a living Church made of people.
One does not exclude the other. I agree that merely reading a book is not enough, but it is not of any less importance than prayer or fellowship.
What I'm getting at is, you don't even know who or what Jesus is and what he said if you don't read the Bible. This is precisely how the countless off-shoots of Christianity, such as Jehowah's Witnesses, came to be. Have you ever read one of their booklets? They actually quote the Bible constantly, completely out of context and with completely inane interpretation - because they're well aware people don't read it.

>The reasons Christians are fractured is precisely because everyone can just read that book
That's simply not true. Apostasy and division in the early Christian communities was not hindered one bit by lack of the New Testament in readable form.
You're saying that the very foundation of Christianity, along with the history of humanity's relationship with God, laid out on paper, is what causes confusion and division? I'll be honest, I don't even understand where you're coming from.

>clusterfuck of contradictory ideas
Such as?

>> No.8751744

>>8751643
wouldn't it be better to conclude that 'a point' isn't the appropriate object of skepticism?
that, since metaphysical narratives like christianity or, say, an attempted, concerted rejection of metaphysical narratives are all equally groundless, instead of concluding that one conceivable metaphysical narrative might be grounded, maybe we should conclude that they metaphysical narratives the sort of things that need grounding
we make meaning; this doesn't make it subjective, it just makes it relative to reason, ie the thing that gives things meaning

this has been a drawn out and I fear pretentious way of saying what I want to say; the gist is that instead of holding out hope that there exists, out there, some kind of point to it all, we should realize that a point to it all just isn't that kind of thing--that is, it isn't out there

>> No.8751749

>>8751059
>life
what does that even mean? Why peoples treat "life" as some predeterminated collection of spooks?

>> No.8751750

>>8751059
People's standards have changed. Nowadays we find entertainment everywhere, from pc, tv, phones. Society demands to be entertained, and information cannot be passed otherwise, whatever there is to tell, needs to be shown in a tv-like dramatic manner. But any form of entertainment will bore people, and they will seek for new ways to entertained. This eventually will come to an end, and they will realize the fact of their entertainment and how it is not as much a natural state of being but one that has been culturally hold.
It's like a noise in the background that you don't realize is there until it's gone. Entertainment is gone when nothing is left to (subjectivelly) entertain. "Your" generation only realized later, because they grew up in the noise, thinking it was the natural state of life.

>> No.8751752
File: 34 KB, 825x225, 1456888271474.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8751621
>my mental proliferation connects me to god

>> No.8751761

>>8751752
why do people like you have to bring your sexual insecurity up in every conversation?
please take a step back, no one wants to hear about it, it's disgusting

>> No.8751765

>>8751752
Yeah, it does. Wisdom, knowledge, understanding are all gifts of the Holy Spirit. None of these is irrationalist or fideistic.
It doesn't work on its own of course, but the God does enlighten our reason after all.

>> No.8751775

>>8751369
How many people are actually ironic memesters about everything? I have met very few people who were detached from materialist lifestyles and gave off the image of hipsters you see in television and film. Whenever I read the doom and gloom stuff from conservatives and liberals I wonder if we are living in the same world. To me people are actually very serious and only joke around when the issues of our times threaten to overwhelm them because the older generations seem to care or know so little that there is no relief found in their guidance.

>> No.8751777

>>8751718
>>clusterfuck of contradictory ideas
>Such as?
http://infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/contradictions.html
http://www.answering-christianity.com/101_bible_contradictions.htm

Of course you can say they're metaphors or 2deep4u or that you just lack a doctorate from ancient middle east studies.
The bottom line is that reading and studying the Bible solo without context seems like a waste of time.
There's very little to suggest that it will fill you with religious joy. But joining a church probably will.

>> No.8751790

>>8751775
I have the same expereince; people aren't nearly as detached as many of them wish they were

I think this "everyone is trapped in bubbles of irony" schpiel is the kind of thing David Brooks would write after waking from a nightmare in which he was naked in Washington Square Park and hipsters and yuppies walked by, not laughing or pointing, but smirking
just out of touch

>> No.8751809

>>8751777
>http://infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/contradictions.html
I'm 10 "problems" in and I'm wondering if this website is a joke.

>> No.8751825

>>8751790
>I think this "everyone is trapped in bubbles of irony" schpiel is the kind of thing David Brooks would write after waking from a nightmare in which he was naked in Washington Square Park and hipsters and yuppies walked by, not laughing or pointing, but smirking
just out of touch
Lol pretty much this. I think it is also an analysis based on how many young people watched The Daily Show for their news. It was a large number, and I used to watch it when I was actually a young reactionary in the late 2000's, but it was not a good representation of the population. The olds focus on a lot of shit that seems relevant to advertisers, young people are a collection of marketing statistics and not a future generation of people who will run the country.

This could also be tied into the helicopter mindset of parents who worry their children are not getting enough reward for achievement or that they are getting too much reward and will expect a trophy for completing minor tasks. The trophies aren't for the kids they are for the parents, maybe if they spent more time learning who your kids are young people wouldn't need to take up hobbies like "adulting" which is just teaching yourself useful shit that nobody thought would be important to a "digital native" growing up in web 3.0.

Something I actually like about hipsters is that they give a shit about "artisanal" hobbies and actually try making shit instead of buying it. Not to get all bolshevikky but we are so detached from the product of our labor that we fetishize production.

>> No.8751828

>>8751809
I found the Kaine and Able versus God treating everyone the same particularly funny.

>> No.8751829

>human history: having a tightly bound community situated in a belief system bigger than you, which you can have pride in and treat as a project, combined with the family as the foundation as society are the most successful organizational combination for human happiness.

>Millennial airheads: I threw all that away it's racist and xenophobic, my school experience was alienating and depressing. I have no goals and I'm forced to work with people unlike me and not my age which i can't form any lasting bonds with. I'll get a dog instead of a family.
I couldn't discipline my dog and it barks at me.
I'm depressed what's wrong?

>> No.8751837

>>8751059
When life becomes too easy it turns on itself.

See the experiments of this lad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Calhoun

He created a perfect mouse environment with everything they need. Their population exploded but after a while they became indifferent, stopped breeding and died out.

This is why any civilised country has below replacement birthrates.

After a certain point of quality of life is reached we become passive.

This explains the Fermi paradox as well. Any civilisation that becomes advanced enough to explore space also loses the desire to do so because life is too good.

>> No.8751839

>>8751828
>DT 6:15, 9:7-8, 29:20, 32:21 God is sometimes angry.
>MT 5:22 Anger is a sin.
I like this one.

>> No.8751847

>>8751809
>>8751809
>>8751839
I read them in Mitch Hedberg voice

>> No.8751853

>>8751839
I wonder how literal would one have to be to see this as genuine criticism.
Could they read any book at all without it being 'contradictory'?

>> No.8751863

>>8751853
Tractatus

>> No.8751864

>>8751839
God is beyond contradiction. If He wants to suck a dick it does not make Him gay.

>> No.8751867

>>8751863
Still haven't gotten around Witty sadly, will have to next year.

>> No.8751879

>>8751864
Go to bed, Donald.

>> No.8751885

I believe life has gotten more boring overall because we never experience true boredom anymore. Remember when you hung out with your friends doing nothing, watching nothing, no cellphones, just getting that good old bore on?

>> No.8751889

No. Read Voltaire. The stereotype of the disinterested and cynical French bourgeoisie has existed for centuries, and likely dates back much further.

>> No.8751891

>>8751889
What I meant to say was yes, in response to OP's question

>> No.8751892
File: 20 KB, 306x306, 1478442431481.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8751809
>GE 2:17 Adam was to die the very day that he ate the forbidden fruit.
>GE 5:5 Adam lived 930 years.
Is this guy retarded?

>> No.8751898
File: 28 KB, 550x590, FB_IMG_1479801204199.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8751892
Yes

>> No.8751910

I do think people expect to be constantly stimulated by media all the time now, in a way they never used to.

It's as if when people find there is no show to watch, or nothing interesting to read online at that time they sort of panic, because their brain has to switch gears and find something to think about.

Personally I can spend hours alone just thinking about things I've read, but that's just a habit. People need to learn to cultivate it rather than living passively all the time.

>> No.8751913

The cult of action is meaningless and the young see that now.

We killed god, and replaced him with external meaning like politics and money.

>> No.8751934

>>8751059
Life experiences which amount to nothing. People move away, change and move on with other people that are not you. Eventually you're left idling between school and work just to stay afloat, but for what? So you can go back to work endlessly so that you can earn those two week vacation. Its not enough, there will always be a mountain we need to climb and strive to get to the top only to find its littered with debt, bad ideas, poor friendships and easy let-downs.

coupled with our instant access entertainment. no one has patience and demands the best. NOW. It comes and goes and is very fleeting.

>> No.8751947

>>8751059
Listen to >>8751889
Read Candide. This type of pessimistic attitude has existed for ages. My advice is to cultivate your garden

>> No.8751953

Never bored. Mostly anxious and angry a lot. I used to be very depressed but it has turned to me feeling pissed off and scared ever since I began getting more routine and responsibility in my life. Maybe I need pills.

>> No.8751959
File: 1005 KB, 2093x2861, 9d79f6a991924fa190cd3ca0637ab52e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8751744
You can make that argument, but in the context of metaphysics, where reason is the first and last test of truth, it isn't justified. There's very little that's justified, desu. You can say fuck metaphysics, like most people do, and use another set of criteria to argue with, and I don't really have anything to say to that (because I'm an autist and don't like arguing outside of reason) except yeah fair enough

>> No.8751980

>>8751118
Yup, that's why men got into strange things like mountaineering.

They were the elite of the elite, and they risked it all to get to the top of a mountain first.

>> No.8751997

>>8751059
Her "generation" are rich white millenials with disposable income and constant social media exposure. They are bored because they are bombarded with useless information every day and whenver they see someone travel and blog about it they hate themselves and feel like they have to do something or else their life is meaningless. Source: I know plenty of people like this, they all act the same and have the same aspirations, mannerisms, and detriments and qualities.

There are millions of people within the same age range around the world that challenge them selves and by life to live it, some because of their social and economic status, others because they simply want to live, not bitch about how Trump triggered them and made them cry on their Tumblr.

>> No.8752086

>>8751533
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3iT5PupBhM

>> No.8752367

Boredom is the fate of all overly wealthy societies. They lose that sense of initiative and vitality which comes with being compelled by the sheer biological necessity of the life process. In this very elemental sense these people are removed from the realities of life itself, ever more alienated from their natural species-being.

>> No.8752375

>>8751947
>>8751889
I do not recall candide being about boredom

>> No.8752377

>>8751612
>orthocucks

>> No.8752386

>>8751369
That sounds perfect, barring the cats. Why are people so hung up about non-participation? I think we're all a little too involved in the rat trap

>> No.8752387

>>8752367
so you're saying I should be homeless
sounds pretty good desu

>> No.8752390

>>8751059
As soon as we don't have to fight for survival, life becomes boring and ugly.

Otherwise we wouldn't need poetry as makeshift beauty and gladiator fights for survival by proxy.

>> No.8752403
File: 321 KB, 1920x1080, 1457077695099.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8752367
>They lose that sense of initiative and vitality which comes with being compelled by the sheer biological necessity of the life process.
this is the most beta things to say. achieving goals and trying to stay alive, as if you knew you were about to die, is really fancied by men, only because men fail to have comfy life. Hyping struggle and finding meaning in pain and hardship is the fate of deluded men

>> No.8752408

>I will never be content with what I have
>Loathe the prospect of blue-collar life
>Desperately want to be acknowledged
>Realize that this complex will only ever affect me; everyone else is on the grind, too
>Must therefore be out for myself
>Life without empathy
>the emptiness
>the emptiness

>> No.8752469

Will we ever see any new wars? Any new revolutions? Any excitement in the future, regardless of consequences?

>> No.8752509

No. Read A Hero of Our Time

>> No.8752518

>>8752403
what episode is that pic from?

>> No.8752919

>>8752469
If you are a socialist, crusader, jihadi, nazi, or imperialist there are plenty of wars to fight. Most people don't want to travel and take risks.

Examples: Peshmerga, Ukrainian/Russian conflict, US military, Yemeni Rebellion

>> No.8752984
File: 38 KB, 657x527, 1478121634229.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8751382
except the one you put your dick in repeatedly

that wound just gets bigger from sex

>> No.8752996
File: 1.96 MB, 1197x1241, Decadence intensifies.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8751369

Pic related made the same point more than a century ago, only better.

We are living in the age of Last Men:

>The last man is tired of life, takes no risks, and seeks only comfort and security.

>The lives of the last men are pacifist and comfortable. There is no longer a distinction between ruler and ruled, strong over weak, or supreme over the mediocre. Social conflict and challenges are minimized. Every individual lives equally and in "superficial" harmony. There are no original or flourishing social trends and ideas. Individuality and creativity are suppressed.

>> No.8753010

>>8752996
we're not the last men yet

>> No.8753013

>>8752996
But why?

>> No.8753026
File: 248 KB, 1132x1000, Mad pepe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8752469

Yes.

Francis Fukuyama is on the verge of being proven the most incorrect political theorist in all of Human history. Western Liberal Democracy is not the last stop on the train of Human progress - and in the past few years this is becoming all the more evident.

The middle ground is falling away. Politically/economically/culturally/etc, we are being being driven (or rather, going) to the extremes in every sense. Enthusiasm for minorities/human rights/refugees/etc is plummeting.

Whether you think all of this is a good thing or not, something big is coming,. Something huge. It's all going to come crashing down with a bang the like of which will make the eruption of Krakatoa seem like a silent fart. I'm preemptively getting /fit/ in preparation. If you can't see what's coming, you'd better open your eyes. First civil war/race war/etc, then Mad Max writ large. Then who knows? Western Liberal Democracy is on its last legs.

>> No.8753041

>>8753010

If you read those greentexts and think we aren't in the age of the last man, something's wrong with your eyesight. The only point of dispute might be the bit about individuality and creativity being suppressed - but everyone you think is an individual, or creative nowadays (artsy types/etc) are really just cultural philistines.

>>8753013

Why what? Why are we living in the age of the Last Men?

>> No.8753064

>>8753026

>The middle ground is falling away. Politically/economically/culturally/etc, we are being being driven (or rather, going) to the extremes in every sense. Enthusiasm for minorities/human rights/refugees/etc is plummeting.

And not a moment too soon.

>> No.8753072

>>8753041
How do you know the people you describe are the Last Men? I understand that you can find evidence that we are Nietzsche's Last Men but why do you think we are THE last men? I think you need to accept Nietzsche is right based on faith in order to give people that label.

>> No.8753104
File: 55 KB, 480x360, Power of Now.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8751059

The Power of Now

youtu.be/PSvKByYOPdo

>> No.8753105
File: 187 KB, 1240x826, B E Y O N D P O L I T I C S.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8753072

Well looking at modern society, and Nietzsche's description of Last Men, the shoe seems to fit.

Western Liberal Democracy strikes me as the Last Man's perfect system - whether politically, philosophically, or morally, and that is what we have today. People nowadays overwhelmingly seek "the good life", or at least "the easy life."

What do most people care about? Getting a 'decent' job, starting a family, owning their own home, maintaining their social lives, etc. Is that not mediocre and ordinary to the extreme?

Every individual lives equally? See: Human Rights, Welfare, etc.

No distinction between ruler/ruled, strong/weak, etc? See: Democracy, etc.

Social conflict and challenges are minimized? See: The Social Contract, etc.

I could go on. It just seems so blindingly obvious to me that we are living in the age of the Last Man that I can't see how anyone could disagree. If you want specifics, I believe this era started post-WW2, 1945+.

>> No.8753113

>>8753041
>If you read those greentexts and think we aren't in the age of the last man, something's wrong with your eyesight.
Of course we're similar, there were symptoms of the last man even in nietzsches time, but the last man is the last man because of the totality of the infestation

america has waged a decades long campaign of bombing third worlders, does that sound very last man to you?

>> No.8753117

>>8753105
That's not what I asked. I understand why you think we are Nietzsche's Last Men. What I want to know is why do you think the theory of Last Men is meaningful. Why do you think he is right that these people are a problem?

>> No.8753130

>>8753117

>Why do you think he is right that these people are a problem?

Fukuyama detected.

Anyway, in order to understand why this is a problem, you have to understand Nietzsche's motivation in general.

His philosophy can summed up as a defiant reaction to nihilism, which during his time was presenting itself as a serious problem - not just to philosophers, but fucking everything. The reason why Nietzsche (among others) fought so hard against it was because nihilism is a dead end.

Similarly, the whole idea of a 'Last Man' is a dead end - Last Men are dead ends. Suppose you achieve the "easy life", the "good life", the "comfortable life" - what then? It's a dead end.

>> No.8753133 [DELETED] 

>>8753130
I understand what Nietzsche said. What I want to know why you think it is correct.

>> No.8753138

>>8753130
>Suppose you achieve the "easy life", the "good life", the "comfortable life"
How do I know I've achieved those things though? There have plenty of times in history when people thought all progress would stop and it didn't.

>> No.8753148

>>8753133

I just explained why. The Last Man is no different to a Nihilist - if you can't understand why dead-ends are a problem, there's no helping you.

>> No.8753152
File: 122 KB, 1124x770, Creative.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

We are the ones who define ourselves,
our own lived reality

Embrace The Nu

youtu.be/DUb1ysvriI0

>> No.8753162

>>8751278
>this is why we need another world war
>because we're bored
that's going to be an interesting chapter in the history books

>> No.8753165

>>8753162

Don't underestimate boredom.

Plenty of philosophers, from Schopenhauer to Kierkegaard, have given it a lot of weight in terms of influence.

>> No.8753173

>>8751059
The increase in anhedonia is linked to the lack of virtue and loss of religious adherence.

>> No.8753174

>>8753148
They're not nihilists. To give an example Kurt Cobain was a nihilist while Courtney Love was one of the people you describe.

Still how can someone know they've achieved the "comfy life"? Doesn't this life need to be maintained?

>> No.8753187

>>8753174

>They're not nihilists.

Most people nowadays are, but do not realize it. Modern life is specifically tailored to ensure that people do not (or cannot) meaningfully consider the shallowness of their existence. Whether in hedonism (to varying degrees), consumerism or otherwise, the Last Man has a wealth of distractions from the existential crisis in which he finds himself - and which, often, he cannot even meaningfully comprehend in the first place.

>> No.8753207

>>8751059
I lived before the internet. We were much more bored then, and more easily entertained.

>> No.8753229

>>8753105
>No distinction between ruler/ruled, strong/weak, etc?

>implying class struggle isn't peaking

>> No.8753271

>>8751825
>Not to get all bolshevikky but we are so detached from the product of our labor that we fetishize production.
Well put

>> No.8753283

>>8751837
I hate this kind of extrapolation from mice to men.

>> No.8753288

>>8751059
Because people are born with everything, they conquer nothing

>> No.8753295
File: 249 KB, 1739x879, Calhoun Mouse Experiment.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8753283

It's right though. Coincidentally I should have drawn the parallel myself, but it proves my point regarding >>8753130 and dead-ends.

>> No.8753297

>>8753288
alexander the great says hi

>> No.8753301

>>8753162
Exactly what happened before WWI

>> No.8753308

>>8753295
>It's right because I believe it.
Okay Jesus-freak.

>> No.8753331

>>8753308

Mice brains are the most comparable to those of Humans, with regard to animals that actually be used for animal experimentation. Recently it's been discovered that the brains of birds are also surprisingly similar (namely crows/etc), but nothing's really being done with that yet.

The fact is that in terms of 'social experiments' that can be carried out on non-Human subjects, the Calhoun experiment is as close as you can get. Of course, you could repeat the test with Human subjects - but it would be a serious investment of time and money (decades/millions), and one that is generally unnecessary given that the experiment is playing ITSELF out before our very eyes today.

Plenty of people off-handedly dismiss the Calhoun experiment, though I suspect because they didn't like its conclusions.

>> No.8753333

>>8753297
That's a great example, if he had just stayed home for all his life I'm sure he would be bored too.

I feel that the more we have the higher the stakes are, so we get more fearful of going after something bigger

>> No.8753412

>>8753331
https://nihrecord.nih.gov/newsletters/2008/07_25_2008/story1.htm

More experiments have actually been done on this and they found that it is likely that the design of the mice enclosure may have had more to do with their collapse than their population density.

>> No.8753422

>>8753412
It's true, Calhoun didn't separate the black mice from the white ones.

>> No.8753430

The projecting in this thread is amazing.

Just because YOU are bored does not mean that civilisation itself needs fixing. Jesus christ.

>> No.8753443
File: 44 KB, 657x527, 1478727387957.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8753430
>implying I wouldn't burn it all to the ground, much less fix it, for ten minutes of solid euphoria

>> No.8753449

There are no civilised first world countries with a replacement or higher birth rate.

>> No.8753450

>>8753443
do heroin

>> No.8753453

>>8753443
Bitch you wouldn't know Euphoria from the mundane if G*d died in your arms.

>> No.8753454

>>8753187
Nobody is a nihilist. A nihilist would value nothing, nobody values nothing. If they did they'd be dead.

>> No.8753456

>>8753430
Civilisation leads to extinction. That's a problem for anyone who is not militantly anti-human.

>> No.8753744

>>8753105
How do you believe things should be?

>> No.8753747

>>8751847
haha that actually works. Throw that one in between the pringles-tennis balls bit and the potato-in-the-oven one, nobody will know

>> No.8753765

>>8751270
This is a good experiment.

I'm familiar with this study; it's parallels with modern human civilisation are insightful and disturbing.

>> No.8753779

>>8753744
We should live in a world where the normies live in fear of our enlightened NEET dominance.