[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 329 KB, 577x558, 1464444773487.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8716370 No.8716370 [Reply] [Original]

I'll green text my situation

> Be me
> Unable to get into reading a book
> Only read 1 novel in my life, it was excellent!
> Can't stay focused enough to read
> I also suffer from borderline tourette.
> I have purchased wonderful litterature products that I'm DYING to enjoy the contents of but I cannot manage to keep my interest in reading.

Note: This has nothing to do with the quality of the product itself, even when I am amazed my attention slips away.

What should I do?

- Killing myself isn't an option, since by doing that I'll be guaranteed to never be able to enjoy works of literature ever again.

>> No.8716402

>>8716370
Try smoking some weed or drinking some coffee or both before reading. You might trick yourself into focusing if you do. Just make sure you teach yourself that it's actually mind over matter and not the weed or coffee helping you focus, otherwise you'll probably convince yourself you need either or both substances to read anything, and this is not a practical way to schedule out your reading for the rest of your life.

>> No.8716431

pee in your own butt

>> No.8716440
File: 49 KB, 463x325, pepe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

>> No.8716485

>>8716440
Thank you based pepe

>> No.8716517
File: 45 KB, 545x511, 1478922694836.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8716370
>literature products

>> No.8716527

Exactly what books have you been trying to read, OP?

>> No.8716542

>>8716527
I thought about something thought-provoking this time, so I asked the bookstore clerk to recommend me something from the philosophy section. He gave me one called 'The Ego and its own' so I bought it. Do you think it's worth the effort? I'm trying really hard to enjoy it but it triggers my tourette every 20 seconds or so.

>> No.8716988

>>8716542
Oh, so this is a bait thread