[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 206 KB, 710x735, kunt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8662932 No.8662932 [Reply] [Original]

What's the best translation of Groundwork of the Metaphysic of Morals?
I was thinking about getting Cambridge version, but there are others that are like 10 bucks cheaper.

>> No.8662950

If you're thinking of money you won't like this, but get the "Practical Philosophy" Cambridge collection. It comes with the Groundwork and much more, if you're ever inclined to go further with Kant's ethics. It's expensive, but Cambridge has the authoritative Kant translations.

>> No.8662960

>>8662950
I probably should have started with that. I already have his Prolegomena to any future metaphysics by Cambrigde and it's pretty fantastic. I'm just concerned the collection will have something I already have.

>> No.8662987

>>8662960
It comes with the Critique of Practical Reason and Metaphysics of Morals (different from the Groundwork) as well as the Groundwork and a ton of other smaller writings, the most important of which is What Is Enlightenment.

If you're going to get the Cambridge (which you probably should, though Hackett's isn't at all bad) then you might as well get this. You're going to want to read all the Critiques if you're serious about Kant and want to go further than the Prolegomena anyway.

>> No.8663642

>>8662987
Truth be told, it's only for an undergrad level essay currently, but I feel like it'll be something I will keep going back to and building on. Should I just start with Groundwork for the semester and pick up the whole shebang once the semester is over, or dive straight in? Money really isn't an issue, but eventually time will be.