[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 29 KB, 372x497, james_joyce.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
859381 No.859381 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, I'm heading to the second hand book store tomorrow, and I'm in need of some recommendations.

If it helps:
My favorite author is Joseph Conrad.

Picture not related as I own most of his work (but have not really read any of it).

>> No.859393

Maybe some Henry James?

>> No.859440

>>859393
Hmm haven't actually read anything by him. Any particular suggestion?

>> No.859464

>>859440
Two stories in particular: "The Turn of the Screw" & "The Pupil."

>> No.859492

like conrad, eh?

anything by Samuel Beckett or Lawrence Durrell i'd recommend. not like Conrad per ce, but they engage your intellect in the same sort of way.

>> No.859526

>>859381
>My favorite author is Joseph Conrad.

There is no helping you.

>> No.860312

>>859526

Man, screw off bro, Conrad is the shit.

OP, consider Dickens if you haven't read any - as if he wasn't pretty fun on his own, his descriptive technique is quite interesting when you compare it to Conrad's own epistemological approach to character traits etc. We think of Dickens as this old, ponderous guy and he's actually very sprightly and messy and modern (if not, I concede, in his sense of morality).

From the same era, Wilkie Collins and Mary Elizabeth Braddon wrote works at which the pulp/literature dichotomy falters, even though they were written at a time when it was so strenously trying to impose itself.

Graham Greene once said he admired Conrad so much that he had to deliberately avoid writing like him. Because of this, he is not that much like Conrad. He is pretty good, though.

If you like the modernist period generally, out for anything by D.H. Lawrence, Virginia Woolf, E.M. Forster...and if you see Freud's 'Civilisation and its Discontents', snap that shit up.