[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 15 KB, 269x400, Necronomicon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
857121 No.857121 [Reply] [Original]

Okay /lit/, I recently got my first Lovecraft, I bought the Necronomicon because it was only 16 € and I really liked the cover.

I really like it so far, but I can't really get into it because English is not my mothertounge and I'm really struggling with it sometimes.

So, recommend me something similar, I guess

>> No.857123

Clark Ashton Smith writes very similar stories (often related to the Lovecraft mythos) but in a much easier to read style.

>> No.857124
File: 81 KB, 640x961, 1276567147338.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I bought the Necronomicon

When I read that I had to take a double take.

Anyways, the truth with Lovecraft is that he is a great story teller with interesting plots/concepts, but his writing is completely mediocre. Interesting, but that does not make it good.

>> No.857136

>>857123
Thanks. It's kinda my own fault, because I'm an idiot for thinking HURR I MUST READ IT IN ORIGINAL LANGUAGE, but that's the first one I have real difficulties.

>>857124
I really liked those japanese wierd stories (I really can't think of who the autor was) which had similar problems; the ideas were great but they lost their freshness after reading half of it.

Don't want to judge lovecraft so soon, though

>> No.857153

I can imagine it would be hard to read Lovecraft if you're not a native speaker. He had a very wide vocabulary and loved to let everyone know about it.

>> No.857177

>>857136
>Don't want to judge lovecraft so soon, though

I understand. I truly enjoy him, but I was a tad biased because I was reading his short stories around the same time I discovered Oscar Wilde who is such a word smith compared to Lovecraft.

Anyways, I would recommend simply spending more time reading them.

>> No.857193

>>857177
I'll do that, of course. But it's goddamn 32 degrees and summer, so I think I'll wait for september or rainy days to read it. Don't get me wrong, I can still read most of lovecraft without problems, but it bothers me endlessly to look up some 'key' words, and without knowing them the whole immersion is gone