[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 62 KB, 459x438, Kafka_morning_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
855980 No.855980 [Reply] [Original]

'Ello 'ello, /lit/

ESL teacher here. I'm using short stories at the moment, and I'm trying to find some suitable ones for my students. The problem is that they'd like some romantic short stories, but I have no idea where to begin looking.

Any recommendations for me?

Pic related - using lots of Kafka's shorts.

>> No.855988

Who are you teaching to? Give us some background info.

>> No.855992

Romantic short stories... I guess if you're using Kafka then they don't have to be too simple in language.

Find the Silver Metal Lover. It isn't exactly a short story but you can take a piece of out of that at a time. It is the only book of Tanith Lee I could ever like. Experienced /lit/nerd here, so trust my word on that.

>> No.855996

The Lady With the Little Dog.

Obligatory.

>> No.855998
File: 220 KB, 1245x1600, Dandelion_sun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've posted this one before since it's one of my favourite stories.
The dandelion Girl, by Robert F. Young.
http://www.mediafire.com/?uzzjz2jnmy3 (pdf-version).
If you don't trust the pdf, you can just google it. It's somewhere on a scifi-site.

>> No.856002
File: 40 KB, 142x165, 1251212414682.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Kafka's shorts

>> No.856006

Miss Julie (August Strindberg)

>> No.856010

>>856002
Yeah, I was about to ask... is this class of yours freaked out yet? Have you done "In the Penal Colony" yet?

>> No.856036

Goodbye, Columbus

Romantic in the it doesn't turn out the way you want, mistaking lust for love, etc. Has some of the best dialogue and character interactions I've ever read.

>> No.856066

I bet you'd like to get in Kafka's shorts OP

>> No.856121

Thanks for the help, folks.

My students are Chinese, if you're interested. Plenty of passive vocabulary, but real problems with tenses. they love figurative language, though, being that Chinese is so contextual.

As for how they're dealing with Kafka, they really enjoyed 'give it up' (lol authority) and loved 'on the tram' - in fact, that was the class that demanded we do some romance. So here I am.

>> No.856414

>>855998

Thank you for sharing that. I haven't read anything quite as simple and beautiful as that in a long time.

>> No.856443

A Painful Case by James Joyce. It's more about the aftermath than the actual romance, though.
http://www.online-literature.com/james_joyce/964/