[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 39 KB, 311x475, SHouse5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8557292 No.8557292 [Reply] [Original]

I just completed Kurt Vonnegut's novel, Slaughterhouse-Five, and am currently writing an essay on it and I would like feedback regarding a thesis that will do this book justice. So far I have:
What can one truly say about the atrocious acts of violence committed during the second world war? “...All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet” (Vonnegut, 19). In Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, the author proclaims, through various satirical undertones, the absurdity of war through the depiction of the character Edgar Derby using him as the crux of the novel to also highlight the inevitability of such events, like the firebombing of Dresden.

Thoughts? Any critique is appreciated. Thank you all very much, big fan of this board.

>> No.8557318
File: 174 KB, 1000x288, Munch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Shameful self bump, I am very intrigued as to what you all have to say

>> No.8557431

>>8557292
Go back to where you came from.

>> No.8557447

>>8557292
dont say that the author 'proclaimed' through 'undertones'
satire in slaughterhouse isnt an undertone, and it doesnt make sense to say that something subtle like an undertone is proclaimed

>> No.8557453

This is also a pretty fucking obvious observation. Not sure what you want critiques on.

It's overwritten and already pretentious in the first sentence, but all academic writing is like that.

>> No.8557575

>>8557453
>its overwritten
do you not remember college?

>> No.8557969

>>8557292
Science fiction is genre fiction and therefore not good.

>> No.8558032

>>8557575

>but all academic writing is like that

>> No.8558043

This is a bait crosspost from the reddit thread, so let me just ask you guys this:

A girl passed by my table the other day at my uni's library, with Slaughterhouse-Five in her hand. "That's a good book," I said.
"I just started it," she said.
"It's great. Have fun."
"Thanks!"

It was a cool interaction that felt nice. What would you've done? I honestly think the book's good, if even for entry-level.

>> No.8558114

So what if it's pretentious, no one asked you if it was pretentious, who cares. and
>>8557447 That's a good point, I think changing it to "consistently uses..." would suit it better