[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 50 KB, 594x921, watchmen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
855469 No.855469 [Reply] [Original]

Absolutely completely loved this. Want more like it. Suggest.

>> No.855478

<--- /co/ is that way

>> No.855490
File: 94 KB, 387x505, 1277576516060.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>implying Watchmen isn't literature

>> No.855495

Naruto is pretty good.

>> No.855498

hate to say that shit is a comic book. its got more pictures than words.

>> No.855506

>>855490
even if this was not arguable, and was 100% fact, /co/ would still be a better place to get similar recommendations.

>> No.855532

Go ahead and read everything Alan Moore has ever written. Done.

>> No.855538
File: 98 KB, 831x620, spider-jerusalem-finger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

transmetropolitan. starring Hunter S Thompson as Spider Jerusalem.

>> No.855565

>>855498

>Implying that there is an average of less than one word per panel

>> No.855567
File: 1.90 MB, 2292x2700, 1272338037338.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

/co/ here. I can suggest pretty much anything on this list.

>> No.855583

Hey guys, remember the last time some asshole tried to justify talking /co/ in here, and it ended with a bunch of threads about curtains?

>> No.855584

>>855567
>Akira
>Comic

>> No.855590

>>855583
no, I think that was about visual novels or whatever those japanese things are called that started the curtains

>> No.855603

Maus

>> No.855618

>>855584
The Akira manga is a very good action-centered-but-mildly-thoughtful comic.

It isn't the first thing I'd think to suggest in a /lit/ request thread though. That would have to be Sandman.

Also Transmet, especially if you have a soft spot in your heart for Hunter S. Thompson. Transmet is basically a love letter to him that took Warren Ellis five years to write.

>> No.855620

>>855469
>Absolutely completely loved this. Want more like it.

Pluto.
Monster.
Planetes.
Sandman.
Asterios Polyp.
Phoenix.

>> No.855623

Sure is >>>/co/ in here

>> No.855624

>>855584

Manga and comics are the same thing. Don't even try and say they aren't.

>> No.855628

Tekkon Kinkreet.

>> No.855650
File: 405 KB, 876x523, 246771168a1f56f76be5126b51cd500a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>855628
Fuck year.

>> No.855657

Having your first comic experience with Watchmen as I did was probably a mistake. I've read a few others and haven't found anything that quite measured up.

>>855567

The ones I've read in that post are pretty good, but not really similar to Watchmen, if that's what you're after. Not in terms of themes or depth.

I thought Y: The Last Man and The Walking Dead were entertaining, but are not superhero comics and don't even attempt to try and be like Watchmen.

And although I haven't read it, I haven't heard anyone say a bad word about Sandman. I've also heard Preacher is really good.

Sorry but that's the best I can do, mate.

>> No.856009

Stick with Alan Moore's work. Most of it is really good.

>> No.856023
File: 115 KB, 560x421, all my hate.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>855624

oh god i fucking raged

>> No.856028

Superman: Red Son is very close to Watchmen on an intellectual level, as well as a plot twist ending and good writing overall.

>> No.856030

Might want to try Black Hole by Charles Burns.

>> No.856035

>>856023
Problem, weeaboo?

>> No.856044

>>856035

no, i fucking hate anime/manga, yet i love comics because they are actually decent reads and i consider them to be a fine part of english literature.
manga on the only hand is vile, perverted garbage intended only for fucking gooks who enjoy that shit.

>> No.856046

>>856044
depends on the comic and on the manga.
mangas are just comics drawn in a particular style, yo.

>> No.856055

>>856046

exactly, it's in a different style. meaning they aren't they same thing.

>> No.856060

Son...you need some anime and manga.

>> No.856062

>>856055
>stream of consciousness is not literature, because it is a different style than strict narrative

>> No.856073

>>856044
Try something aimed at your presumed age group and read Akira, Berserk and Monster instead of Naruto and shit.

>> No.856075

So you've read Watchmen.

Where do you go from here?

You can look back at the characters that inspired Watchmen. The characters in the book were originally meant to be Charlton Comics characters that DC acquired. However, because most of them were getting killed off, it seemed like it was going to be a waste to purchase them. So Alan made all new characters for Watchmen.

Rorschach was based on Mr. A/The Question, characters created by Steve Ditko.
Night Owl was based on the Blue Beetle with aspects of Batman.

They're good places to start. Go find the old stories with The Blue Beetle and The Question. Then read The Question's 80's series written by Dennis O' Neil. It gives you a pretty good idea of the difference in how Superhero comics can be written. That's where you'll be going next.

A very different kind of Superhero comic, Miracleman, shows this difference right in the first chapter. It's written by Alan Moore as well and went on for a good while until Neil Gaiman picked it up. While I like Neil's work, it might be best to just stop where Moore ended because Neil's work is unfinished.

>> No.856078

>>856075
Afterwards check out Moore's other works. Swamp Thing, V for Vendetta, From Hell, and so on. He has a lot of work from his early years, but I haven't read it. Once you've got those under your belt, turn your eyes towards the world of Vertigo Comics.

A good place to start there is Hellblazer. It features a character from Swamp Thing as the main character, so it wouldn't be too hard to get into it easily. It stories vary in quality, so which ones you'll like depends on your tastes.

Next I would say to take a break from "super hero" comics for a while and look at some other types of comics. Mentioned above is Transmetropolitan, which is a comic about a bad ass gonzo journalist with the voice of Picard. Other things to look at are Y: The Last Man, Sandman Mystery Theatre, 100 Bullets, and depending your tastes- The Books of Magic and Fables.

Next read Neil Gaiman's Sandman. The series is quite good, but for some reason people quit early because of the late 80's art in the first couple chapters. It gets better, definitely. The story is what matters anyways.

Finally read Mike Carey's Lucifer. It's probably my favorite comic book, and is something of a psuedo sequel to Sandman. It's not too hard to figure out which character from that book it continues the story of. I find myself going back to the last few pages of this series every now and then because it was so satisfying.

>> No.856092

>>856078
While I said "Finally", it's really just beginning. The wonderful world of Comic Books is more than just the "mature" titles I've mentioned!

While you might be looking for "deep" comics like Watchmen, you will have undoubtedly come across a lot of different heroes while reading Swamp Thing. Why not look up some of their comics? The Spectre in particular has an interesting series, and Deadman is another character with an interesting flavor.

And this is just DC. Marvel is another part of comics that a lot of people like. Spiderman is the best known guy, and his early comics with Steve Ditko are pretty interesting. Ditko created another character called Doctor Strange, and his stories contained within Strange Tales are pretty damn thrilling.

If you like action, look up Jim Steranko's Nick Fury. His artwork is pure psychedelia, and Steranko himself has written a lot of comic books. In particular I'd recommend "Red Tide" (http://www.thedrawingsofsteranko.com/RED_TIDE/chndlr_hmpg_.html))

>> No.856104

>>856092
Then you've got Comics that aren't in the English language. Manga is probably one you've heard of. You may think it's cute looking bullshit, but that's just the generic stuff that sells well.

Look a bit deeper into it and find some titles like JoJo's Bizarre Adventures. It's written a lot differently than a "western comic". It focuses more on pulse pounding action than things like character feelings and internal dialog, although there is a lot of the character's thoughts in battles. It also features some very interesting powers by it's characters.

Elsewhere, look towards Seinen comic if you're looking for the "mature" route. Vagabond is one of my favorites, and titles like 20th Century Boys, Monster, Akira, Domu, Fist of the North Star, Kaiji, Gambling Emperor Zero, The Five Star Stories, Sangokushi, and many others are all good reads.

Well I said enough. Read a lot of comics or else I'll have typed this all in vain.

>> No.856185

oh god nerd alert