[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 39 KB, 400x600, epicurus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8521494 No.8521494 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone else find it difficult at first to absorb a work of great literature? I often find that I can't understand a work of art until I find a point of entry. This can be historical context, acquaintance with related or similar works, or just a new perspective. For example, I remember listening to Stravinsky's Rite of Spring when I was younger and perceiving it as pure chaos. Coming back to it many years later, it seemed quite clear and structure to me. This was a case of gaining experience with other music that helped me perceive and understand the structure of this particular piece.

>> No.8521507

>>8521494
I know what you mean. It took about a hundred pages before I got fully sucked into Steppenwolf. I usually look back on great literature with more respect than I had whilst reading it.

I guess thats the point though. Greta literature, like all works of great art, stick with you longer than anything else.

>> No.8521510

>>8521494

I seriously don't understand any acclaimed literature until I read a lot about its historical context, and I usually have to look up tons of words. The syntax always throws me off too. I'm just retarded though I guess.