[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 132 KB, 480x360, 1271621041172.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
848985 No.848985 [Reply] [Original]

Confession tiem, /lit/.

I received my MA degree in English (American literature) today. And I'm no longer in the mood for drinking.

I've always had mixed feelings about my university, my department, the usefulness of the degree and this kind of knowledge in general. Still, it would be a lie if I said I didn't have any good time. I was able to make some fantastic friends and do what I genuinely enjoyed, as well as getting the opportunity to travel a little and study abroad for a while.

For the past 3,5 years I have been doing different translation jobs, so I guess I've managed to get some actual experience in addition to reading, traveling and socializing. But now I have no "real" job, very meagre savings, little chance of getting permanent employment and I'm generally lost, low-spirited, pessimistic and confused. I also regret not having done so many things--getting teaching experience or being more active in the student's union, for example. I realize now how much I lacked direction in the past 5 years.

I am sad, /lit/, I am fucking sad and scared. Is this normal? This is not the end of the world, right? A lot of my friends are in a similar situation right now and there's little advice we can give one another.

Inb4 an hero, as some embittered or self-righteous individuals will no doubt suggest.

>> No.848995
File: 91 KB, 550x668, hug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

d'awwwwww
well done on the degree btw

>> No.848996

Well, OP, I got my MA in History a few years ago. I understand a lot of what you're thinking. Yeah, these sorts of Arts degrees aren't the most useful career-wise, but then we don't choose to do them because we think they'll set us up for great jobs, do we.

Don't worry though, there are all sorts of jobs you can do. Plenty of employers don't care what your degree is, so long as you have one. There's a tonne of jobs out there for you to do, which you probably don't even know yet. Hunt around and you'll come across something no problem. I'd have thought your translation experience (and the fact you obviously know more than one language) should be a real help.

Never lose hope!

>> No.849052

>>848996

I know absolutely nothing about this subject (well, I sort of do), but I would definitely take this person's advice (if you haven't already, of course).

I think they're also right in saying, essentially, 'you didn't get in this for the money'--very few few graduate students, with exceptions, do. I have one question though: why not go ahead and take the plunge and get your Ph.D, OP? I'm not sure what sort of debt you might be in, but I would think that if you could find a decent department at an acceptable school, and you're passionate enough about the subject, that you might consider looking to attain your Ph.D (I really don't know enough about your situation though).

I plan on majoring in philosophy starting next year (I'm taking a year off from school) and then going on to law school, or perhaps graduate school for philosophy (really depends on what my interest is in), so I'm in it for the long haul. Is there any advice that_you_might have for me?

>> No.849055

I just saw that quote today as I was driving. Odd.

>> No.849089

>>848995
>>848996
Thank you so much, guys! I guess words of encouragement were what I needed. Some friends were wondering why I looked so cheerless and unsatisfied today, but I guess deep (or not-so-deep) down they knew it damn well. I hope once I figure out what to do, I'll be able to appreciate my accomplishment and get hapy-drunk, finally :)

>> No.849121

A lot of it simply has to do with the economy. I graduated with a BA last year that, while it doesn't have obvious applications still should have been enough to get me a job in the work force. The don't have degrees in paper pushing anyhow.

So far I got close to one decent job and ended up relying on part time work at a book store to pay my bills.

When I was graduating the places I was working cut a ton of positions, including the one I was leaving. I suppose I lucked out there, but at the same time that sort of thing is happening everywhere, and it's the entry level jobs that are really suffering as those already employed just take on a shit ton more work rather than add someone to the payroll.

>> No.849133

>>849052
Thanks. I am not in any sort of debt, luckily--I don't live in the West and I received my education for free. I might try to go on to my PhD but I still need a job--they might not give me a scholarship and even if they do, it's not enough money to live on. I am passionate about the subject and really wish I could "take the plunge," but oh well, that remains to be seen.
Good luck with your plans! I almost decided to major in philosophy myself five years ago. I'm probably not the best person to advise anybody but there's one thing I wish I had already known at 17: in the long haul, friends>books. :)

>> No.849171

>>849133
Sociologist here. I come in two late, but basically THIS to the whole thread.
Cheer up, and never lose hope. I've realised the point wasn't the sociology/litterature/history or philosophy, but rather the subjects you like and studied during the last years. That's actually what got me my job, same for my university colleagues.

>> No.849184

>>849133

Good luck to you! Just a suggestion: as long as you're not necessarily opposed to moving away from your home country, I would look at schools in other parts of the world (there are all sorts of international scholarships in the U.S. that I've come across just browsing college websites). Who knows, maybe you could find scholarship opportunities in the U.S., or Canada, or Europe, etc.

Either way, keep going! You'll make it, somewhere. I think doing what you're passionate about (within reason) is a very good policy. You don't want to be a broke graduate student two years from now, sure, but I'm also assuming that you wouldn't particularly for just barely getting along in a job that you don't care for, either, eh?

Again, keep going. I'm sure you'll eventually find something. You're not alone in all of this: there are people with degrees that are supposedly good for jobs in the U.S. (for example, engineering degrees) that can't find jobs, and haven't have a job for well over a year now (I know this from personal experience in the community that I live in)!

>> No.849189

>>849052
Have a good GPA.
Do not go into debt at any point in your education, especially not for a philosophy PhD.

Make connections. Try and publish in undergraduate journals. Try e-mailing professors in departments if you are interested in their work.

>> No.849218

Just work out what direction you want to go in OP. That's the most important thing I've learnt from my chronic procrastination (and sorta lack of ambition).

As I mentioned above, I finished my MA three years ago and didn't know what I wanted to do afterwards. I've spent the majority of the time since working in a bookstore as that was the first thing that came along. A lot of good came out of that and, although I never considered that being any sort of a future, I do wish I had forced myself to look at a career path sooner.

Get that sorted, work towards it in whatever way you can (internships, unpaid voluntary experience, whatever), and you'll do fine. Might not get there straight away but it'll happen.

>> No.849228

You can go work at Borders or Barnes and Noble until the internet puts them out of business.

After that, you're pretty much screwed.

>> No.849280

Thanks, guys! At least I know I'm not alone :)

>>849218
That's my biggest problem, Croaker--working out what exactly I want to do. I can't say I haven't been ambitious at all--after all, I never settled for a dead-end job during my time at uni and always tried to do something challenging (it's not too difficult in this country if you have a decent command of English; the real challenge, however, is to find permanent employment in teaching/translation once you're no longer a university student). But I admit I might have done a lot more, and I'll try never to make the mistake of not doing enough again.