[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 102 KB, 640x480, 1466795333753.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8488513 No.8488513 [Reply] [Original]

What are casual, comfy careers that allow you to pursue your independent interests on the side while making enough salary to travel periodically? The catch for this kind of career is you can't have a family since usually the salary isn't high enough to attract a woman and pay for kids, but that's not a problem for most of 4chan.

The one example I can think of is school teacher. You work at most 9 hour days (6-7 classroom teaching, 2-3 grading) for a 40-50 hour work week. Guaranteed weekends off, periodic holidays and breaks, guaranteed 2 months summer vacation. This would give you plenty of time to read, travel, etc. You would probably even have time to become a brilliant expert at some outside field. You could research mathematics, practice boxing, write novels, or whatever the fuck you wanted to if you had the drive. I bet teaching is annoying as fuck to do but it is at least varied and it isn't mind numbing physical labor.

The contrast to this is something like corporate lawyer or investment banker where you make shit tons of money and if you work 100+ hours a week can plan on being a multimillionaire in your forties, getting any bitch you want, and send all your kids to Harvard or to be fratdaddies at State U.

But what are some other kinds of career like the first? Where you have low/stable hours and can make a comfy living?

>> No.8488524

>>8488513
If you want to do little work and still get paid a reasonable amount of money you go work for the government.

>> No.8488527

>>8488524
Examples of stimulating government jobs? Like FBI or something?

>> No.8488532

>>8488513
i'm a management consultant and live this life

>> No.8488550

>>8488532
So like Ernst & Young or something? You have lower hours and lots of benefits/time off? How much salary?

>> No.8488574

I just got a job as night supervisor at a college library, no idea what this'll entail but it's about as /lit/ as it gets. Anyone who aspires to be a globe-trotting literatus is a fucking retard who actively wants to get Jewed by the great publishing combine.

>> No.8488586

>>8488527
The government employs many people outside of law enforcement

E.g. in the department of treasury or other places where pull just sit and jack off all day

>> No.8488663

>>8488513
You post a quote that suggests blue collar sympathies yet you want a white collar job. Reject it all and work in a field or warehouse or drive a truck.

>> No.8488679
File: 33 KB, 270x403, stmoses.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I work as an editor of the section of a news magazine. I make decent money, have my own office, basically don't have a boss and make my own hours. I probably worked 7.5 hours today and played a little bit of space station 13 between stuff

>> No.8488779

>>8488513
>The one example I can think of is school teacher. You work at most 9 hour days (6-7 classroom teaching, 2-3 grading) for a 40-50 hour work week. Guaranteed weekends off, periodic holidays and breaks, guaranteed 2 months summer vacation. This would give you plenty of time to read, travel, etc. You would probably even have time to become a brilliant expert at some outside field.
This is exactly why teachers got to keep long holidays left over from when kids used to do harvesting, it was meant as a kind of professional development period. In practice tho ressentiment means this is constantly challenged and you're more likely to find yourself doing things in your spare time just to keep the classroom in running order because of things like budget cuts. And there's mostly a push for good teachers to become management with all the problems that has in other sectors (so mostly career development and pay are shit long term if you want that).

There are all sorts of little problems you're not seeing, but there is a reason people aren't flocking to the profession.

>> No.8488802

>>8488779
What do you mean keep the classroom in running order? Like clean the blackboard? I don't understand

>> No.8488810

>>8488513

Your idea of a teacher's life is way off, anon, unless you want to be a mediocre-at-best teacher. To be even somewhat good and actually have a positive impact on your students' lives, academically or otherwise, you'll spend more than 50 hours a week working, including several hours over the weekends, especially at the beginning. After you have a few years under your belt and you've figured out your own preferred teaching style and methods (this is a far more challenging process, wrought with far more failure, than people realize), and built up some sort of inventory with regards to assignments and projects and exams and whatnot, you can coast a bit more. Even then, you're constantly having to update your curriculum to keep up with both the field in which you teach and with the culture of the students (many strategies that would've been successful 10 or even 5 years ago simply will not work today), participating in professional development and continuing education-type classes, yadda yadda yadda. It is a lot more stressful and time-consuming than you think, again unless you're cool with being a glorified babysitter.

>> No.8488953

>>8488802
Class plans
Keeping the kids discpilined
Getting the necessary supplies like chalk and paper.
It's harder than you might think.
The system constantly fucks teachers over.