[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 45 KB, 331x500, AFeastForCrows.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
843958 No.843958 [Reply] [Original]

Honestly, I was disappoint.

>> No.843962

Honestly, I don't give a fuck.

>> No.843966
File: 41 KB, 725x704, 1269529044751.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Me too. The only character I care about who was actually in the book was Arya, and she didn't even get much coverage.

>> No.843967

Well, at least you probably haven't been waiting around on tenterhooks for the last seven of eight years then.

>> No.843971

>>843967

Yes, apparently I've arrived in time for the fifth book.
That promises to be better though. It's funny, during the first three I was BEGGING to get rid of Arya, and Sansa, and get some Cersei POV, but it was just awful >.>.

>>843966
>doesn't like Jaime
WAT

>> No.843974

>>843971
Forgot Jaime was in it. I has been like 5 years since I read it.

>> No.843987

>>843974

Funny how Martin finds it so challenging to write a bloody book that's supposed to be already done in 5 years, meanwhile Dostoevsky was writing three different books at the same time in a year's period.

Seriously, he's fucking trolling.

>> No.843990
File: 455 KB, 1674x924, 1277331013887.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.843994

>>843987

Indeed. He's fucking trolling.

HBO gonna have the live adaptation I hear?

>> No.844000

>>843990

Pretty fucking accurate.

>>843994

Yes, they are. It's coming in the Spring of 2011. I don't know how good it's going to be though. Boromir's already in it so I don't even...
Plus, the leaked screenplay seems significantly different than the action in the first book. I sure do hope they don't lose the little mystique that's hanging in these fucking books and turn them into a whorefest.

>> No.844002

I loved it. Cercei's fall from grace, the always awesome Greyjoy chapters, Jaime, Arya going assassin. Only annoying chapters were Brienne and as always, Sam.

>> No.844030

Man, Martin's actually a pretty chill guy. One of my coworkers was in his RPG circle that inspired the Wildcards series. Ironically, he was usually the first one to show up to the gaming session. Seems he became a chronic procrastinator once he started making good money. Dostoyevsky stayed poor. Maybe I should stop paying my writers if I actually want my books written.

>> No.844049

I Loved them all.
Serious.

>> No.844053

Reread AFFC while skipping Sansa "I am such a bore of a character" Stark, that cuckold wimpy nightwatch fatso faggot and Brienne chapters and you have a book on par with ASOS.

>> No.844072

Why so much hate for Brienne?

>> No.844155

>>844072
it's just a boring road trip without any plot developement. A few fights here and there, much useless talking, a little bit of Brienne x Pod shipping and that's it. Kinda the same problem as with the Samwell chapters.

>> No.844179

>>844072
I don't hate the character of Brienne, I just hate her POV chapters. If I wanted to read a travelogue of Westeros, I'd read a fucking travelogue of Westeros.

It's raining. There's a rock. Here's an inn with an interesting past. People judge me. Leave early in the morning. Look, another rock. Another inn with an interesting past...

>> No.844187

Sam was awesome don't be hatin', he owned that one faggot that left the watch (kind of >__>) and he got some hot ass on a boat with kickass jamaican people. probably more then any of you have ever done.

>> No.844193

>>844187
I actually like the Sam chapters. Before AFFC, I kind of hated Sam to be honest. But after his chapters, he was one of my favorites.

Though I still think his father is one of the least utilized characters in the entire series...

>> No.844204

>>844187
I have nothing in particular against Sam's wimpy loser character, he had some nice char developement. BUT why the fuck does he stay FAT after months of hardship. I mean, training at castle black, outdoor trip through the cold wilderness beyond the Wall, boat trip to Braavos and he is still the same fat fuck as when he just arrived at the watch? WHY??? I hate fat people, I don't wanna read about them.

>> No.844217

>>844204

Some people are just genetically fat.
But, they did mention he lost weight in the book. He actually says he's only eaten fruit and fish when he travels with the niggers.

>> No.844231

>>844179
Speaking as someone who dislikes travelogue fiction, Brienne's chapters were much better than the norm for that sort of thing.

>> No.844232

>>844217
Genetics might dictate your bodyfat percentage, but there are no genetics that make you obese and he is described as obese in the books. No one who leads the same life he has led since he joined the nights watch would be obese after all those months.

>> No.844265

>>844204
When he showed up to the Wall Sam wasn't fat, he was faaaaaaat. Like, about 300 pounds. The Watch literally didn't have armor that fit him.

He's been getting better.

>> No.844277

I don't like the series. It started out nice but I'm just foreseeing a push exactly like Robert Jordan where the story will get bigger and bigger and drag on and on so the author can get more and more money. Capitalism is great, but you gotta be aware when someone's trying to milk you for being a sucker. And yes, I realize he's said he isn't doing that. I do not believe him.

>> No.844294

>>844277
so far it doesn't feel at all like the story gets stretched out unnecessarely. In fact it's the opposite, so much stuff happens that really matters and is genuinely interesting and still so much stuff that needs yet to be told.
Victarion trying to capture Daenerys anyone? Daenerys invading Westeros with fully grown dragons? Arya becoming a faceless woman. What is Bran doing beyond the Wall? WTF happened to Rickon and that woman he left with. Will Jaime one day pityfuck Brienne? ZOMBIES. The series still has so many great stories to tell, it is the exact opposite of the Wheel of Time.

>> No.844298

>>844294
Except I'm not interested in any but a few of those things.

>> No.844302

>>844277

Except GRRM is writing at the slowest pace possible and will soon peg it.

>> No.844303

>>844053

I never really had anything against Brienne. She is a naive person to be sure, but she's not a bad character.

I have expectations for Sansa, but for the moment she can go fly out the moon door for all I care.

Sam is a walking paradox. Eventually he will get some confidence and actually do something.... assuming he doesn't die... and lets face it, this is Martin we're talking about here. Assuming someone isn't going to die is very frequently a poor decision.

>> No.844307

>>844294
First 3 books were entirely unnecessary.

>> No.844310

>>844298
well then I'm sorry it's not your taste, but you can't really say that those stories are there to milk the series. They aren't artificially created and out of place but developed naturally.

>> No.844313

>>844303
I think Sam is safe just because it's so obvious that he COULD die.

Safe, at least, until he starts getting interesting. TBH I'm looking forward to learning more about the Maesters' world.

>> No.844317

>>844307
wat

>> No.844325

>>844310
I can and I do say that. Just as your opinion is that they are naturally developed, my opinion says otherwise.

>> No.844334

>>844303
GRMM doesn't really kill offf popular or important chars. He isn't as hardcore as most fans make him out to be tbh. Eddard was the only shocking death so far and only because he was the first. Cersei is probably next and no one will miss her. Now he kills off Tyrion or Jon and I agree that no char will ever be save.

>> No.844350

>>844313

Exactly. But....it's still Martin. When/If Sam dies, we probably will see it coming, but wont know for sure until the actual moment.

>> No.844381

>>844350
heart attack when he finally plows Gilly.

>> No.844418

I think Martin made some very bad fucking as to what should be cut in this book.

First of all, I'm sorry, but he's an absolute douche. I'm waiting for 10 years to find out if Tyrion and Varys are dead or not, or where they are. Not even Blizzard pulls that shit.

As for the character POVs that remained in A Feast For Crows... what the fuck man?
I mean seriously, he pulled that fucking Kraken shit with me, for what? All those characters sucked. And they brought NOTHING TO THE PLOT. NOTHING. NOTHING. NOTHING. "They're a threat." Gee, no fucking shit. I didn't need to read a crapton of chapters to know that. The fucker should have given me 3 Targaryen chapters instead.

Seriously, this book was fucking pointless compared to the rest. A prequel about the battle of the Trident would have been more worthwhile.

Sigh. I put all my hopes in ADWD. If that's bad, he's lost me. I won't be his fan for another 5 years.

>> No.844636

>>844334
Wtf man how could you not include Rob and do not tell me that he wasn't really important

>> No.844649

>>844418
Tyrion is in Pentos or whatever that free city was. Staying with that fatfuck who helped the targaryens when they were young Illyrio or whatever.

This was released in one of the chapters GRRM read at one of his public signings.

>> No.844705

>>844649
and the released chapters were godly