[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 54 KB, 958x660, 1470355080155.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8402315 No.8402315 [Reply] [Original]

Literary Confession Thread:

>> No.8402325

I don't read

>> No.8402327

>>8402315
Ulysses is a horrible book

>> No.8402328

>>8402315
I have never read a single book by Thomas Pynchon.

>> No.8402331

>>8402327
no it isn't

>> No.8402342
File: 70 KB, 300x300, 1460076591224.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't read books, but I take very strong opinions on them on /lit/ and argue by googling sophisticated books and I parrot other peoples' words

>> No.8402344

>>8402331
Wrong

>> No.8402345

>>8402344
you're wrong

>> No.8402351

>>8402315
Rodia was an hero.

>> No.8402357

I'm completely illiterate

>> No.8402360

I think ive read everything i needed to read in this reencarnation.

>> No.8402361

>>8402345
no u

>> No.8402362 [DELETED] 

Ever since I read Stirner, I have been treating my property how I want to treat them, the "golden rule" be damned.

It's been going as expected thus far.

>> No.8402367

I find Shakespeare's plays boring to read, and mildly entertaining to watch.

>> No.8402369

>>8402342
you must have a lot time

>> No.8402372

>>8402315
Literature has become some kind of toxic addiction for me. I hate it, I hate what I write, I hate what I read, and I cannot stop because of some compulsion to understand everything and find perfection

>> No.8402374
File: 160 KB, 400x267, ComputerFeels.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8402315

I almost never read and barely know about anything about the content posted here.

I like to write but I feel all my drive die when I am faced with an empty page

>> No.8402376

Literature is the tool of idiots.

>> No.8402380

I'm Clifford Le Sargent

>> No.8402382 [DELETED] 

>>8402376
you mean the tool of the elite

>> No.8402388

>>8402372
sounds pretty awesome desu

>> No.8402391

>>8402342

Most of us know this already. Usually when you confess something, the information is new.

>> No.8402393

>>8402362
How did you expect it to go?

>> No.8402396

>>8402315
I was Kafka in the past life.

>> No.8402414

>>8402374
Think the actual sentences and words out in your head. This will happen if you read. Mature another year or two. Post at a time other than summer. Read. Don't just rely on abstractions of stories you want to tell. Imagine those stories told. Think big-picture. Do you want to die unwritten?

>> No.8402416

>>8402315
I like books as well as literature.

Finnegan's Wake is gibberish.

>> No.8402423

>>8402388
You might think so but it's shit. I wanted to be a businessman or something practical instead i have wasted nearing on 8 years of my life obsessing over shit that doesn't actually matter. I can't focus my energies on anything practical beyond the most basic necessities of living because of this retarded obsession with knowing the absolute truth of reality and expressing it however possible, a goal which is not only impossible but far beyond my specific capabilities as an individual. I realize this, that I will fail, that I can't do it, but I cannot stop, it never leaves, I never even feel like I'm properly awake unless I'm thinking about these things, the rest of my life is just some blur i am half aware of.

It is most shit because I can see, vaguely below the surface of the constant confusion, the normal patterns that should be occurring. I will get a job, or start some relationship, and there is a very muted sense of fulfillment that should be much stronger, that should animate me to pursue those ends to better places, but they are always like little mutters below a thick white fog, and above the fog the only thing I can ever feel is this desperately urgent need to find these answers to questions I don't even really understand.

>> No.8402435

>>8402423
Sleep more.
Read less.
See a doc. See a shrink.
Maybe go Into the Wild if you can. At the least, go on some hikes. Someplace really fucking cool. Appalachians or Grand Canyon or whatever.

>> No.8402438

Holy shit /lit/ I don't know how to apply myself.

Can't even think of self-imposed goals that won't look ridiculous a day after I think of them.

>> No.8402440

I'm writing a book about a gay prostitute, and the first chapter starts off with him wiping cum off his face.

>> No.8402467

>>8402423
>>8402435
lol fuck that kill urself

>> No.8402471
File: 418 KB, 747x1417, lit starter kit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I decided to start reading books and i got myself A Clockwork Orange.
I can't make it through the first 10 pages.
Did I pick up something too hard? Should I stay with the cereal boxes descriptions?

>> No.8402472

>>8402435
I don't mean to simply complain but I have done those things, there is a kind of fundamental arrogance in me that won't accept any answer because it isn't good enough, and I feel that there is a better one to be found.

What you say makes sense, and is true, but there is like a corruscating venom in me that doesn't allow for anything like that, I hate everything except moments of ecstasy and insight.

I feel like on some fundamental level God completely fucked up, and we were left to deal with this utter bullshit which we can only trick ourselves into liking, and it is hard to trick yourself when nothing works, when nothing affords real satisfaction because of its inherent filth.

I have had periods of brief respite and happiness which are always ruined as soon as I open my eyes and see what is going on, that it is only an intoxication of love, power, comfort, whatever it might be, below that there is an awareness of a much more real reality that can't be held back, it is like a beast growling under a blanket, and it is so much more intense that its awful character doesn't stop its being so much more attractive, so much more necessary and urgent and real.

But I realize that is also bullshit, and the fact that I feel that way is bullshit, and that is the entire problem

>> No.8402473

I actually haven't read THAT many books.

>> No.8402476

>>8402440
Sounds pretty gay, desu.

>> No.8402478 [DELETED] 

>>8402327
Why

>> No.8402481

>>8402380
I'm almost certain that's true.

>> No.8402489 [DELETED] 

>>8402471
ACO is really simple once you realize all the funny words are just a meme

>> No.8402497
File: 168 KB, 544x548, ursonate.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8402489
So the whole book is a meme?

>> No.8402499

>>8402471
Go one book to the left

>> No.8402502

>>8402471
A Clockwork Orange is one of the most frustrating things to start, then it turns fun. As a rule, hunt down a glossary (don't most editions have one in the back?) and stop and look up EVERY word you aren't 100% sure you recognize. It will come naturally too you sooner or later. (This holds true for real-life words, too - get a nice dictionary if you're going to read for real. If not, get the fug out now.) Here's some defense on the silliness of the words: real-world language mergers look like this, with random snippets of language A inflecting language B; and the goo-goo-ga-ga talk reflects the psyche of the main characters and of teenagers at large to boot. It's no less irritating (or mimetic), but those realizations made me understand why they're there.

>> No.8402509 [DELETED] 

>>8402497
It's kinda shit imo.

>> No.8402534

>>8402472
You can't, at once, think pleasure is bullshit and pain is not. They are the same, if you will either.

You lack self-control, and, I imagine, you have too much self-pride yet express too little of it. There's energy pent up inside you and you aren't doing a good job of leveraging it. "I can't leverage it" is an excuse, and if it's excuses you want, then there's nothing in the world that can save you.

Try writing. It's my rule to write anything I wish had been written. Any answer made by you ought to be perfect on your terms, no? Or, if you haven't come up with that answer, try some different forms of meditation.

You sound really derealized; look into medication for that.

Obviously the things you like drive you; my advice is to try treating your neurosis the same way you'd get into a workout routine. Think big-picture. What will make you happy five years from now? Whatever it is, strive for it. Deep happiness is all that's worth chasing in life.

>> No.8402558

>>8402499
Wanted to get Brave New World but there was no stock in the bookshop
>>8402502
Thanks for the advice. I guess I should've read the preface. The dialog like that is something I can get, similar stuff happened in Martin Fierro IIRC (made us read it in HS, argentinian here, pretty good book).
Although I should also keep in mind that English not being my main language could be a big kick in the nuts. I'll keep these in mind though, thank you.
>>8402509
Aw :(
Well at least I'll try to find out why is it and why is it not?

>> No.8402562

>>8402558
Goddamn I can't even reply well, and I want to start reading books >>8402509

>> No.8402571

>>8402534
>You can't, at once, think pleasure is bullshit and pain is not. They are the same, if you will either.
I don't mean that pain is more real, pain is equally unimportant I agree with you. It is an awareness of reality I am talking about, actually looking at the world as it is, and the twin streams of euphoria and terror that tend to appear when you do so.
>You lack self-control, and, I imagine, you have too much self-pride yet express too little of it.
Fairly intuitive analysis given how little you had to work with, I have a complete lack of self control but I don't have self pride, I don't have a cogent conception of myself at all
>There's energy pent up inside you and you aren't doing a good job of leveraging it. "I can't leverage it" is an excuse, and if it's excuses you want, then there's nothing in the world that can save you.
When I 'leverage my energy' it is just pure violence, there is no sense in it, i restrain myself because abandon leads to complete destruction, I think all people are like this
>Try writing. It's my rule to write anything I wish had been written. Any answer made by you ought to be perfect on your terms, no? Or, if you haven't come up with that answer, try some different forms of meditation.
I write constantly, I have written thousands of words a day for years on a completely diverse set of topics, it is like adding wood to a fire, it accomplishes nothing but further inflamation
>You sound really derealized; look into medication for that.
How can you expect a concept like derealization to matter if the entire question is one of finding what reality actually is,that is the entire problem itself
>Obviously the things you like drive you; my advice is to try treating your neurosis the same way you'd get into a workout routine. Think big-picture. What will make you happy five years from now? Whatever it is, strive for it. Deep happiness is all that's worth chasing in life.
5 years from now I would like the same thing I have always wanted, to be normal, to just participate in life like other people do, i dont even care how it is, but I have absolutely no expectation that that will happen because nothing ever works, it is a pathology of motive

I disagree fundamentally that happiness is the goal of life, when you look at reality it cares very little about harmony, about things being calm, about niceness,it functions in very different ways, and we are a part of it and to deny our inherent violence and wrongness is to be totally blind

>> No.8402578

A guy who looks like James Joyce fucked my girlfriend and now I hate James Joyce.

>> No.8402580

I once had a marathon masturbation session fueled by a fantasy whose central character was Martin Luther.

>> No.8402583

>>8402396
is that your excuse for being a NEET?

>> No.8402589

The picture of dorian Grey is my favorite book

>> No.8402627

>>8402578
did he sniff her farts?

>> No.8402632

>>8402571
>twin streams of euphoria and terror tend to appear when you do so
So why don't you focus on the euphoric? Your perfectionism is being the death of you (doubtless an insight for you). It's important to reconcile the bad in the universe - and remember, reconciliation doesn't mean a way of upping complacency.

>I don't have self pride
Get some.
>"I don't have a cogent conception of myself at all"
Get one.

>abandon leads to complete destruction
This is not leveraging, this is letting lose. You need self-control, fast.

>I think all people are like this
All people who can't control themselves, sure. A Freudian would go nuts on you, you know.

>I write constantly, it accomplishes nothing but further inflammation
I'm sorry to hear that.

>derealization
Actually my bullshit diagnosis now makes me think you have OCD or something. I should bite my tongue on that end, but I'd look into either of those tangents.

>to be normal, to just participate in life like other people do, I don't even care how it is
Are you so sure? It sounds to me like your problem comes from a desire to live your own way, but an inability to do so - one that stems from your ability, again, to assert yourself, take self-control, all that. Were you in a rational state of mind, I can't imagine you would want to live like everybody else.

I disagree fundamentally that happiness is the goal of life from a universal perspective. From a human's perspective - and that is the perspective that usually matters to me - I care about what brings me pleasure, and so that is my goal. The goals of life and the universe run against one another. Pick your side. Reality is not nice, and not-nice times are what make men.

You sound like a person who never grew up inside, but you also sound read enough to find a way to grow the rest up.

You empathize with Raskolnikov a lot, don't you?

>> No.8402722

I don't really see the point in reading regular non-genre fiction that's supposed to be true to life and relatable. I already know what normal boring life is like, I don't need someone else describing it to me as well.

>> No.8402742

>>8402722
What if that person is smarter than you, anon? What if that person sees a different world than you, anon? experiences a different world? lives a different life?

>> No.8402944

I hate reading but love audiobooks. Kill my self?

>> No.8402987

>>8402315
I loved The Myth of Sisyphus but I didn't really get The Stranger

>> No.8403020

>>8402376
It'd be true if being an idiot wasn't relative. There's a lot of annoying things about cutivated people, but I've never found the other side of the fence to be any better. Though there is and will be exceptions.

>> No.8403032

>>8402325
t. /lit/

>> No.8403591

>>8402360
>believing in reincarnation, yet can't even spell it
Someone needs to read more

>> No.8403593

i love murakami (the pleb murakami)

>> No.8403618

i mostly read nonfiction and feel guilty reading fiction even though i know i can get more from a fiction work than a nonfiction work

>> No.8403790

>>8402380
I'm Clifford Le Sargent

>> No.8404001

My entire knowledge of philosophy consists of my high school ethics class, some wikipedia articles and the first ten pages of Bertrand Russel's history of western philosophy.

>> No.8404033

I just spoke to an Irishman who was giving me a job interview for an hour about Dubliners but haven't actually read it. I only used references that I memorized from /lit/ posts, even reciting quotes as well as stealing from goodreads reviews.

>> No.8404081

I've only read one book so far this year.

>> No.8404123

>>8402315
I've read barely any Shakespeare even though I'm an English student.

>> No.8404135

i debate books on /lit ive never even heard of, nevermind read

>> No.8404137

>>8404123
Also I'm addicted to detective/crime fiction. I've even tried fooling myself into believing it has literary value.

>> No.8404153
File: 19 KB, 285x309, 19-24616-yukio-mishima-6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I write fan faction for my Chinese cartoons series. Am I going to pleb hell?

>> No.8404176

>>8402423
>>8402472
Here is a song written about you, I hope it makes you feel better :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuGRbPK8ySk

>> No.8404193

>>8402423
once you have doubt about your hedonism, switch to the dhamma

>> No.8404654

I started reading Infinite Jest and got about a fifth of the way through the book before realizing that I hadn't been reading the endnotes, and that in fact the ebook version I was reading did not even have the endnotes to begin with. I put the book down right then and haven't picked it up since, even after finding a version with the endnotes and hyperlinks to them within the text.

>> No.8405204

>>8404033
How? I've read Dubliners and I'm not sure I could speak about it for that long.
Also, why haven't you read it? It's an easy read and quite enjoyable, you obviously spent much more time learning about and it and memorising what was said about it than it would have taken you reading the actual book...

>> No.8405270

I've been putting off reading King Lear for like three months. I don't know why. I love Shakespeare, and in my defense I've been reading other good stuff in the meantime. But every time I sit down to read it, I get distracted by something else. I don't know what my problem is.

>> No.8405284

I don't know what to gain from reading anymore. When I was in high school everything blew my mind. Not to say that I understand everything now, but when I read something new, I don't get that revelation, that spark. It's more or less so and so said that thing. Does anybody else experience this? I still love to read it's just it seems to be something I do because I'm used to doing it. Talked with a buddy of mine about this and told be I'm probably depressed. I dunno, I don't really feel it, but I have noticed that things I used to really enjoy in my youth are kind of fizzling out. New hobbies, perhaps?

>> No.8406575

Confessions #1
I bought "Being and Nothingness" by Sartre when I was 14 and it took me almost 10 years to make it through the introduction.
#2 I read most of Dostoyevsky's work by the time I was 28, except for "brothers karamazov," tried it at 34...I aint got time for that shit. You gotta use all six names for somebody every time they are mentioned? C'mon Nigga.
#3 I could care less about dfw, Lerner and all of the new yorkers favorite "stunt authors." I used to, then my nuts dropped.

>> No.8407055

>>8405270

safest confession ever

you are the ned flanders of anonymous confessions

>> No.8407058

I'm developing a scat fetish, just like Joyce!

>> No.8407075

>>8402325
>I dont read I only meme about reading
>my life

>> No.8407292

The Book of the New Sun affected me more than Ulysses

>> No.8407295

>>8407292
You became Catholic?

>> No.8407338

I read translated poetry
Also I've read the whole meme trilogy not in english
Mason&Dixon is among the best things I have ever read, this books was magical

>> No.8407349

>>8403591
No that was a purposeful nod to the Pepeist religion. They believe that they leave this putrid existence and eventually turn back into frogs by reee-ncarnation.

>> No.8407387

I really like Ayn Rand even though I find her writing subpar. I've argued many times in her defense and have come to the conclusion that most people can only think of witty quotes or her failings as a person rather than argue anything about her philosophy.
It's like telling someone you're a Nietzschean and everyone endlessly tries to remind you that the nazi were influenced by Nietzsche and he caused the Holocaust.
Her philosophy isn't perfect but I feel like nearly everyone turns their brain off when they want to just dismiss why she's wrong, often only resorting to memes and nothing more.

>> No.8407414

>>8407387
>I've argued many times in her defense and have come to the conclusion that most people can only think of witty quotes or her failings as a person rather than argue anything about her philosophy.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Objectivism

knock yourself out

>> No.8407432

>>8407414
>open page
>first thing is a quote about how Objectivism is evil
Fucking kill me.

>> No.8407444

>>8407432
your cog.dis. is showing

>> No.8407454

>>8407444
I knew that Rationalwiki was bad but I didn't expect complete slander.

>> No.8407566

>>8407454
You are spooked the fuck out

>> No.8407595

>>8407566
Meaningless term. If anything, most of what Striner bitched about concerning spooks is the same things Ayn Rand bitched about on collectivism.

>> No.8407611

I would rather gouge my eyes out than read Shakespeare.

>> No.8407620

>>8407611
Please do so.

>> No.8407621

>>8407620
I refuse to do either.

>> No.8407625

>>8407621
It's okay, I was 13 once.

>> No.8407629

>>8407432
but objectivism is evil
this is a fact

1) morality is real
2) objectivism is opposed to morality
3) u.s.

>> No.8407657

>>8407629
>objectivism is opposed to morality
Wut? Objectivism is heavily in favor of morality.

>> No.8407658

I don't know what to write, trying to read the needs of the collective unconscious is so difficult. I realize my methods are possibly mistaken, and my motives might be nothing but a fear of the inevitable (death), but this longing for something new doesn't stop? Is it a matter of legitimacy? I don't know what to do, what anyone wants.

>> No.8407716

>>8407387
To be fair Nietzsche was actually banned in Nazi Germany so it wouldn't be like that.

>> No.8407773

>>8407716
BUT HER SISTER WAS A NAZI AND FORCE OF WILL YO~

>> No.8407780

>>8406575
>could care less
kys

>> No.8407894

I actually like women and veiw a few of them as equal to men

>> No.8407908

>>8407894
*view

>> No.8407911 [DELETED] 
File: 346 KB, 451x451, Ayn-Rand-.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8407894
>I like some individuals in this collective and view some of those individuals as equal to my collective

>> No.8407919
File: 346 KB, 451x451, Ayn-Rand-.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8407894
>I like this collective and view some individuals in that collective as equal to to this other collective

>> No.8407939

For all my posturing on this forum, I've never actually read a book.

>> No.8408530

>>8407908
*wew

>> No.8408702

>>8402328
These confessions are nothing because you always COULD read x book. There's lots of books I've never read.

>> No.8408704

I honestly try to be new sincerity and think a lot of people on this forum are really insecure and aggressive to a point that is not endearing or warranted. But you're all humans so I understand the reasons.

>> No.8408727

Anyperson who takes the time to make a snide remark at a post that mentions positive things about Murukami is a total tool, apart of the /lit/ hivemind collective.

This is hardly a confession.

>> No.8408751

>>8402558
I finished A Clockwork Orange recently.
This glossary (http://soomka.com/nadsat.html)) is the most comprehensive one, I recommend you read with your phone displaying it on your lap.

It's a wonderful book and once you get to the very end it feels like it gets a completely new meaning. The only criticism I have towards it is the too fast if a pace of some of the events in the book.

>> No.8408757

Confession: the pace at which I read is average or even below average, finishing books takes ages for me as the result.

After finishing a book and briefly thinking about the authors message and key themes, I read about them on the internet anyway.

I spend more time browsing this board than reading, because I'm too tired to read an actual book whenever I have time.

>> No.8408762

>>8408757
I'm just finishing the same 800 page book I've been reading for three months and I do the same thing you do afterwords, reading online about the author and the book itself.

>> No.8408777

>>8408762
What book?

It took me about 6-7 hours to read half of a clockwork orange. Can you guys tell me is that really bad?

>> No.8408780

>>8402423
Are you me? Jesus.

What are you supposed to do when you're obsessed with figuring something out that you can't even imagine what the whole spectrum of it looks like or even is.

It's such a blockade when I'm trying to get anything out of me that doesn't come out inherently perfect to my delusional mind.

>> No.8408782

>>8402578
A guy who looks like David Foster Wallace fucked my ass and now I hate David Foster Wallace.

>> No.8408796

>>8402473
I only read 2 books in my entire life. :/

>> No.8408800

>>8408777
Underworld by Don DeLillo.

>>8408796
Hope you decide to read more.

>> No.8408825

>>8408800
I mean, out of the 2 books I've read, one was fantastic and one was a huge disappointment.
Metro 2033 was so good and the sequel was utter trash and just.. meh.
I kinda would like to read 2035, but it's still not translated yet into english/german and I also couldn't get ahold of some spin off metro books by other authors.
Books are expensive and I can simply find no time to read.

>> No.8408828

>>8408825
Strange that you're on a literature board then.

>> No.8408837

>>8408825
To be honest, I was on the 4chan homepage thingy and only clicked on this thread because I liked OP's thumbnail.

>> No.8408840

>>8408828
i replied to myself, im too tired for this.
>>8408837

>> No.8408841

>>8408840
gotcha

>> No.8408867

>>8402471
I tried learning Russian a while before hand so the nadsat (was that what it was called? I haven't read it in while) was pretty easy to understand. Tbh a clockwork orange isn't that hard. Took me a week to read and another one to understand it. Burgess wrote it in just a few weeks too so it really isn't overly complicated. What i guess I'm trying to say is what the fuck is wrong with you, like mentally.

>> No.8408896

>>8408704
This sub and /fa/ are the worst for it.

>> No.8408898

Almost all my writing has been FanFiction. I feel I can channel things much better this way.

>> No.8408989
File: 8 KB, 225x225, 1445523135464.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8407625

>> No.8409093

>>8407919
TRAP

>> No.8409121

>>8402351
C&P?

>> No.8410193

>>8402369
Everybody has a lot of time.

>> No.8410199

>>8410193
seconded

>> No.8410208

>>8408727
>being this butthurt that you're a pleb with pleb tastes

>> No.8410209

I have written horrible erotic fiction in the past. I swore it off, and haven't written anything since, but the stuff I did write was awful.

>> No.8410235

I enjoy Song of Ice and Fire.

>> No.8410243

I read many things but Stoner is the only novel I am confident enough to say I understand it.

>> No.8410253

>>8410209
same, plus ive written quite a few fanfics that have gotten a decent amount of attention in their domains

>> No.8410261

I want to kill myself because I can never make up my mind on what I want to do in life. It changes from week to week or day to day. One day I will see something interesting and go, "I want to do this," but three days later I may say that about a completely different subject or one I have said it about before.

I'm 26 in four days and have nothing. I am virtually unemployable if I am not lying on my applications or resume sending, and even when I do lie I don't get anything either.

I really just want to shoot myself.

>> No.8410262
File: 9 KB, 382x339, 1461449369602.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8410208
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>> No.8410266

>>8410261
Just do what you like to do. This isn't really a /lit/ confession, but that doesn't matter I bet in your kind of funk atm. But really, why bother to think about what you "wanna do", when you can just do? As stupid and bohemian of an idea as that may sound if you like stuffing pringles into your ass crack and showering twice a month then maybe you'll be happier doing that than thinking of what you should be doing.

>> No.8410267

>>8408777
Stop caring about how others read. Just open a book and start.

>> No.8410318

>>8410266

Because I don't really have that luxury and I feeling that even though I am young I am wasting my life. Other people my age are successful and I have nothing.

>> No.8410326

I started with the Greeks over a year ago and have been stuck in the ancient world ever since. I think it will take me another year to emerge, and that's if I skip a ton of minor works.

I can't even bring myself to start my copy of Gibbon until I've read every significant primary source for history. I want to read Dante but can't bring myself to skip even minor epic poetry from the ancient world. I want to read Shakespeare but can't bring myself to skip any ancient drama. Basically for anything I want to read I feel like I have to wait until I've read a ton more ancient content first.

My ancient world books now take up like 60% of my shelf space, and the proportion is only growing.

>> No.8410334
File: 66 KB, 340x372, wjijuZA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I thoroughly enjoyed Infinite Jest and don't understand why it gets memed so hard

>> No.8410368

I'm a huge Stephen King fan.

>> No.8410369

>>8410334
Every board has its memes that aren't bad. Consider that they wouldn't be memes if they were bad. /mu/, for example, has in the aeroplane over the sea, which is not a bad album. This board has Infinite Jest, which is not a bad book.

>> No.8410451

I read all the Twilight books

when the fourth book came out I stood in a line at barnes and noble waiting for the book to be released at midnight

>> No.8410466

>>8402380
I'm Sgt, Clifford Lee

>> No.8410615

>>8410334
Infinite Jest is considered both a masterpiece and a very inaccessible book. It is also the favourite book of /lit/. This makes it the best target for anti-consensus memeing that has always been the core of 4chans art-related boards.

I

>> No.8410618

>>8410451
Meh, just say you did it for all the young, insecure chicks, and you're off the hook

>> No.8410683

I have probably read more subtitles from chinese cartoons than actual books.

>> No.8410994

>>8402414
>implying /lit/ is a board any newfag wants to visit

>> No.8411014

i own a copy of tuesdays with morrie

>> No.8411015

>>8410615
>infinite jest is a master piece
>infinite jest is hard to read
>he fell for the memes so hard he has to rationalize it to himself after th efact

top kek. dfw is like a slightly more difficult than usual YA book.

>> No.8411023

I buy books to display in my bookshelf

I sparknotes them in case anyone asks about the plot, but nobody ever visits

>> No.8411035

>>8402315
I use rhymer websites to write my poems.

>> No.8411113

I bought about 20 books about 8 months ago and have read only half of them

>> No.8411736
File: 3 KB, 125x119, 1452962906394s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8402367

>> No.8411743
File: 957 KB, 500x418, 1451281444055.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8410193

>> No.8411753
File: 28 KB, 640x480, 1453752636386.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this board is a joke s m h.

>> No.8411797

>>8410368
Which book should I read first?

>> No.8411895

>>8411113
10 books is good dog

>> No.8411898

I haven't finished a book since December

>> No.8411914

>>8404654
On my first reading I did the same, about 50~ endnotes in. I still ended up reading it, re-reading it, and loving it both times.

My ilterary confession: This semester marks my fifth year in college. I've switched majors once before, and after I get my current degree, I'll start working on an English major.

>> No.8411919

I haven't really enjoyed anything I've read since The Caine Mutiny a few months ago

>> No.8411924
File: 68 KB, 600x629, 1471220614441.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I haven't read a book in 7 months.

The last book I read was when I got half way through Kaputt by Curizo Malaparte. There was a part where he was in Poland talking to the same people for like 5 chapters and it repeated the same damn points over and over. I got so frustrated that I put the book down and decided "I'll go read something else" Then I never did.

I feel like I'm going mad or losing my capacity for higher thought. Sometimes I blank out and think of nothing. Simply nothing. This happens at work and often when I'm at home. I had problems spacing out before, but I usually was thinking of something, anything. It's kinda worrying me.

>> No.8411963

I post here for four Fs:

* Fishing for literary fiction insights. Sometimes contributing in that direction.
* Finding genuinely world class modern Chinese literature, diasporan or otherwise (give it ~20 years?).
* ƒcience fiction and the occasional non garbo fantasy.
* ƒhitposting. Sometimes counter-ƒhitposting.

>> No.8412547

yesterday i finished reading the first book ive read in 6 years

it was Mike Fallopian's Wild Ride

>> No.8412571

>>8411797
Misery.

>> No.8412643

sometimes I wish I had the courage to make a YT channel, just so I can respond to tags with Whitman, Svevo and Proust, and make patrician book hauls

>> No.8412937

>>8404033
Do the majority of Irish people actually read Joyce ? If so, I've found the country where I want to live. But I have a hard time picturing Ulysses as a book that's commonly read by a large portion of any population.

>> No.8413045

>>8402315
I read solely for entertainment. I use it as an escape from the mundane in the world, and stick to fiction. Anyone wanna recommend me a good entertaining book they've enjoyed?
Fiction preferably, genre doesn't really matter. Just give me what you've personally enjoyed

>> No.8413049

>>8413045
Jurassic Park and Ice by Anna Kavan

>> No.8413051

>>8413045
A hero of our time was very entertaining

>> No.8413072

>>8402435
>Maybe go Into the Wild if you can. At the least, go on some hikes. Someplace really fucking cool. Appalachians or Grand Canyon or whatever.

Into the Wild but with a NEET from 4chan is such a great idea.

I mean, he inevitably dies on the 2nd day of his adventure but still.

>> No.8413095

>>8412937
No, like anywhere else the majority of people don't read at all. Safe to say that an Irish reader is more likely to have read Joyce than a non-Irish reader.

>> No.8413132

do you guys realize that we aren't using our legs?

>> No.8413137

>>8413132
I'm tapping my toes and I sometimes cross a leg over another.

>> No.8413147

>>8413137
we are like internet centaurs

>> No.8413153
File: 402 KB, 1872x900, 1464138333118.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8413147
lmao, it's kind of true.

>> No.8413164

>>8410615
>It is also the favourite book of /lit/.
I've read maybe two posts on /lit/ that said something good about the book. It's pretty much the consensus on here that it isn't worth reading (though I don't have an opinion on it myself).

>> No.8413170

>>8413164
that's a real bad post man....

>> No.8413171

>>8410615
my dad stopped reading infinite jest half way through not because he found it difficult but because 'I don't like how it seems that he's making excuses for why these people fucked up their lives instead of taking responsibility'

>> No.8413182

>>8413170
not as bad as infinite jest :D

>> No.8413188

>>8413164
>>8413171
ij isn't difficult at all. all the hard weird are spread out, and many aren't essential for understanding.

>> No.8413189
File: 524 KB, 739x1020, dune poster.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I read fantasy and scifi all the time and I enjoy it.

>> No.8413194

>>8413045

>> No.8413209

>>8413189
remember, it's only ok if it's gene wolfe

>> No.8413218

>>8413189
I like genre fiction in itself, but since Bloom approves of many genre titles, that's really enough to shut up the anti genre autists.

>> No.8413243

>>8413194
Just finished 2034, looking forward to futu.re. Any other recommendations?

>>8413049
Ice seems interesting, I'll look into that, thanks

>>8413051
Will look into

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Any more suggestions are welcome and appreciated

>> No.8413248

>>8402315
I never understood the appeal of Kafka.

>> No.8413252

>>8413051
Are you talking about the Lermontov book, because it is one of the greatest masterpieces of literature ever written and I am sort of angry to see it described as 'entertaining'

>> No.8413271

>>8408757
This is me to a t
I've been on Ulysses for almost a month and I'm exactly halfway through

>> No.8413276

>>8413271
Ulysses is big though! Don't be ashamed for taking your time. Better you take forever and understand what you read than take a minute and just get the gist.

If you can do both, damn holy shit, but it's not a realistic standard for readers.

>> No.8413294

>>8413271
Ulysses is fucking retarded though. Reading it in a couple months is not that weird. I sped through it in a week when I was 17 because I felt i was supposed to read it and understood basically nothing. I revisited it years later when I could properly appreciate it and all I felt was anger that someone so talented and capable of producing so much beauty wrote that fucking book. And then I looked at Finnegan's Wake and decided Joyce is just a monumental asshole

I feel this way about Salvador Dali as well, he was so fucking talented and what did he do he painted a bunch of psychedelic memes because of passing fad

>> No.8413616

I not know haw good whrite

>> No.8413618 [DELETED] 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GpT6ycHoMA

>> No.8413640

Im reading The infinite jest and think its absolute shit.

>> No.8413662

I said "Cay-mus" for the longest time

>> No.8413669

I only read a book if the synopsis interests me. I'm not going to read something just because it's considered a classic

>> No.8413688

Stoner is mediocre and quite frankly overrated

>> No.8413804

Are we pretending to like Tolstoy, Hugo, Plato? Is this like drinking black coffee? It's bitter as shit yet some people insist that it's delicious. What the hell it's like we live our entire lives just doing things because they're done.

>> No.8413825
File: 21 KB, 552x277, 12802965_1707877409449645_6703423779929736383_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8402315
I don't mind Darren Shan

>> No.8414128

>>8413804
>It's bitter as shit
come back to these authors after you are 25 and have a decent baggage and understanding of culture and aesthetics

>> No.8414147

>>8402423
Nice theatre, fuckboi

>> No.8414165

I skipped the chapter on Money in Capital. I read Engels's summary of it instead.

>> No.8414186

>>8402472

you should lift

keep doing everything you do, you're fine, but also lift

>> No.8414188

>>8414128

not plato though, 25 is late for plato

>> No.8414209

I have had periods of literary activity

I wrote poems, stories

I wrote a play, it got selected for a local festival, I've actually seen my play on stage, well received

That was two years ago, I haven't written anything tangible since

I feel 'unable'

I can only write what can be very euphemistically called 'poem fragments'

Nothing's going anywhere, I sit down to write and nothing happens

I feel like I have experienced things akin to 'writer's block' before, but now it's different

Before I was a writer and something called 'writer's block' was happening to me

Now I'm not a writer, I have nothing to do with writing

Like it's over, I'm over etc.

>> No.8414242

>>8402315
I'm a giant Hemingway fan but I hated A Farewell to Arms so much

>> No.8414261

I was reading Moby Dick up until yesterday and got to the chapter Ahab and the Carpenter. I could sense another chapter of encyclopedic like descriptions coming and just stopped reading.
I don't give a shit anymore, I don't care what angle bevel the Carpenter used to file the lower jaw bone of the whole, I don't car what type of wood and rope he used for the fittings, I don't care if he used brass or steal pins to hold, I don't care about the noise the fake leg made when Ahab walked on a very specific part of the deck and I don't care about how the new leg effected his gait. I especially don't care for the clumsy illusions and allegory. Fuck off

Ahab couldn't possibly have hated Whales anymore than I do today, I just spent 2 weeks reading this shite because it's supposed to be a 'must read'....fucking whales, I'm genuinely not going to bother finishing it I'm so frustrated now and if it ever comes up in conversation I'll lambaste it out of spite and try and convince as many people as possible to never read it.

An old Irish author once told me that there are too many good books in the world to waste your time reading books by American authors. I used to think he was being facetious but now I couldn't agree with him any more.

I'm now going to spend the day watching re-runs of Sea Shepherd and masturbating to clips of dead whales.

>> No.8414298

>>8402502
why waste money on a dictionary when you can just search for a definition? Genuinely curious

>> No.8414329

>>8414188
Lolno after 25 you might finally get Plato. Children read Plato be like "Oh no censorship! Oh no noble lying! Oh no criticism of democracy!" Only adults, for the most part, can appreciate what he was doing with the political shit.

>> No.8414793

>>8414209
What is your definition of a 'writer'?

If it is simply 'one who writes', that is something you still do. Fragments or not, at least you are still writing.

Past success is irrelevant in this instance.

>> No.8414807

Anyone else ever feel like your thoughts are going (gone) haywire? I've been feeling like my thoughts are becoming whirling mass of chatter, increasingly difficult to streamline.

I've attempted to note this vortex down, bullet point by bullet point, in order to achieve a sublimation, or at least """fluidity""" of mind.

The first words will not come. I fear that I may be going mad.

>> No.8414840
File: 135 KB, 1021x569, fuck yeah.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Turner Diaries is the most fun book I've ever read.

>> No.8414899

>>8402328
No time like the present my friend

>> No.8414909

>>8414298
I think by "dictionary," anon includes electronic sources as well.

>> No.8415009

I don't "get" satires like Candide, The Prince or even Animal Farm. (How could any modern day reader that isn't a frickin historian?)

>>8405270
Watch the BBC one with Ian McKellan.
Also I always had a hard time with the opening scene until I saw an NYC production (with Frank fucking Langella) they used a big lighted map of Britain to explain the kingdom divisions thing.

...Not even that important of a thing to grasp in terms of plot now that I think of it.

>> No.8415015

>>8414840

I like that video, it's sort of calming. Tell me though, what is a neo nazi doing in Chile?

>> No.8415048

I regularly read and enjoy young adult fiction

>> No.8415059

>>8414261
What about the prose? What about, at the end of almost every whaling chapter, Melville pulls it through and it ends up being waaaaaaaaaay more than just facts on whaling?

>> No.8415064

>>8414261
I'm willing to bet that your lovable, old Irish writer was not all talking about Melville when he warned against American authors.

>> No.8415141

>>8414261
>He doesn't prep for long novels with supplementary material.
>He didn't read Moby Dick with an outline that noted the core 1/3rd to 2/3rd of the chapters.
>Complains about wasting his time.

Cuck.

>> No.8415184

>>8415009
this has to be b8

high school history is enought to get them

>> No.8415266

I've read every Murakami book and enjoyed them all.
Infinite Jest is boring.
I like fantasy.
I once gave a copy of The Stranger to a girl I liked.
I haven't read many of the books I've claimed to have read.

>> No.8415271

>>8411797
The Stand. Dark Tower if you're into fantasy and long reads.

>> No.8415286

>>8414261
>t. Ahab

>> No.8415490

>>8414261
>whole
>steal
>effected
>illusions
You're not ready for literature of this caliber.

>> No.8415863

Took me over 100 pages to realise that "obscenity" in For whom the bell tolls was censorship rather than some strange insult.

>> No.8416381

>>8402325
/\lit\

>> No.8416390

>>8414261
pleb as fuck. Moby-Dick's entire appeal is that it blurs the categorical line between fiction and non-fiction.

>> No.8416397

I like Townes Van Zandt's lyrics more than any proper works of poetry I've read.

>> No.8416405

>>8416397
Truly pathetic.

>> No.8416406

>>8407387
You're looking for Heidegger, not Nietzche

>> No.8416464

>>8416405
Why?

>> No.8416473

>>8407387
The struggles are real, mate. Just "shrug" them off.

>> No.8416500
File: 126 KB, 780x749, read.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8402315
I don't like reading. Most of the books I push myself to read are some form of nonfiction. Some are about psychology, some political, some about alchemy/hermeticism, some religious books. I also have some youth fiction from my time in highschool. The only other piece of fiction I have is Necronomicon, but I haven't started reading. I don't really have any LITERATURE.

Currently I'm reading "The Axe and the Oath" and I'm so bored but I need to finish it so I can writing down in my iPhone in my list of "Books I've reading in 2016" so I can feel good about myself.

>> No.8416505
File: 308 KB, 788x756, lesentiment.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8402380
When are you gonna do a review on Nick Land?

>> No.8416510
File: 420 KB, 747x1417, lit starter kit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8402471
What's my /lit/ power level?

>> No.8416513

>>8402578

That's weird because I sucked the cock of a guy who looks like James Joyce.

>> No.8416525

>>8402361
ʇobbɐɟ n ou

>> No.8416528

>>8402722

Read "The Death of Ivan Ilych" by Tolstoy.

>> No.8416529

Still haven't read over half the books I own

>> No.8416530

>>8406575
>except for "brothers karamazov," tried it at 34...I aint got time for that shit.

It's his best book. So much better than The Idiot and marginally better than Crime and Punishment.

>> No.8416531

I didn't go to school, i'm illiterate as fugg. How do i /lit/. i'm new i swear i will not shitpost

>> No.8416550

>>8416531

Just read the wikipedia articles on authors you see mentioned on here and copy paste text here. That's what most people do anyway.

>> No.8416553

>>8402571
learn physics if you want to know what reality is

>> No.8416572

>>8416550
Y-yeah but idon'tcareaboutthat. How do i take the most from a book or somecoolsoundingshit like that. How do i smartz. no bullies allowed

>> No.8416610

>>8416572
Read more if you want to get better at reading. If that doesn't work, frogposting seems popular these days.

>> No.8416630

>>8402315
I like worldbuilding more than reading or writing.

>> No.8416918

I'm majoring Comparative Literature in university despite it being useless.

I haven't read a book in 4 years.

>> No.8416922

>>8416572
Stop typing like a 12 year old, for starters.

>> No.8416924

I got like 1/3rd of the way through 2666 and dropped it.

>> No.8416933

>>8402722
Are you Jerry Seinfeld?

>> No.8416934

I don't understand the animosity /lit/ seems to have for The Beats. I don't think they're great by any means, but they're all okay-to-good from what I've read.

>> No.8416952

>>8414209
Have you ever tried to go as long as possible without fapping? Try this, but with writing. Only keep the writing in your head, for as long as possible. When you feel the urge to write you don't have to act on it. Just let everything build up, then you will know which ideas and words are worthwhile. Not every burst of creativity is worth your time. Pace yourself- you aren't dead yet. You still have time.

>> No.8417512

>>8413045
John Swartzwelder's books, shit's hilarious, being the greatest simpsons writer and all

>> No.8417524

>>8413804
You must be drinking the cheap ass brands if you think black coffee sucks, try some real coffee

>> No.8417535

>>8413189
awf cover

>> No.8417580

I don't understand the word "pretentious". I don't know what it means.

>> No.8417610

>>8402472
Try meditation. That will teach you intuitively, beyond mere intellectual recognition, that you are a non-self and you shouldn't give a shit about reality anymore. As long as you keep at it of course.

Read an Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book.