[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 18 KB, 260x400, sut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8380032 No.8380032 [Reply] [Original]

I finished this 30 seconds ago and my immediate feeling is that running away is a good thing, in a "Don't go Gentle into that Good Night" sort of way. Never let go, never quit fighting, always live your life the best that you can.

BUt alternatively Suttree is a miserable edgy philosophical dingus who ran off on his wife, child, family, friends, everyone. What is his end goal in questioning life and creation? Why does he take all of the horrors he endures with little to no reaction?

>> No.8380037

>>8380032
Jesus christ what the fuck are you trying to say? You just reduced a great novel with a great main character to an edgy dingus who "ran away" from his life to question god. How about you think for a minute, use some grown up words, and ask again after deleting this post.

>> No.8380041

>>8380032
It's semi-autobiographical, McCarthy actually ran away from a good home to live in a shack, but he brought his girl with him.
There is very little on his background, so it's difficult to tell what happened and what didn't, but with just the minor details you can tell that McCarthy was pretty fucking hardcore.

>> No.8380044

>>8380037
you have severe autism.
i just want to talk about a book.

>> No.8380057

>>8380041
you can't really tell what he has and hasn't done because it's all written so vividly. I assume all of it.