[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 7 KB, 212x238, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8376363 No.8376363 [Reply] [Original]

I graduated last year with a degree I really hated. I've spent the past 14.5 months mostly wasting massive amounts of time on the internet, living with my parents, working menial part time jobs (less than 20 hours a week), and procrastinating instead of learning programming like I told myself I would. I don't even read books anymore. Also I have an existential crisis that I realise will never go away.

Has anyone been in a situation like this, constantly telling yourself that you'll work hard tomorrow? I feel like I have potential. I feel guilty when not working and I fear working only a medium amount and being guilty about not working more. When I get a full time job I know I will have no time to do anything substantial.

>> No.8376366

Just fucking do it, Jesus Christ. Take a running leap and jump into whatever it is you want to do. Take the step from which there is no going back. You'll be glad you did.

>> No.8376381

>>8376363
What did you get your degree in? Do you regret it? And it sounds like you dont even know what you want to do so of course you wont have drive to start anything. Figure that out first. And for your existential crisis: if you don't plan on being a novelist or philosopher just stop thinking about it. It'll go away

>> No.8376388

>>8376363
If you have a degree at all you could move to an east asian country (I reccomend thailand, vietnam, or cambodia) and teach English. some of these jobs provide housing.

Even if youre not great with kids or anything, it might be good for you to try something so wildly different in a new setting. Worst comes to worst you can just come back.

>> No.8376441

>>8376363
I graduated at the same time you did but went the opposite way for learning. Started slow and steady and have increasingly ramped up my reading efforts ever since.

Just gotta get the ball rolling. If you read a novel/history/philosophy text, that will inevitably connect to another work you can explore next. Your curiosity will naturally take over. I go to bed excited to wake up and read the next day, and my productive reading days are as fulfilling as my less productive days are disappointing and even embarrassing.