[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 25 KB, 395x600, dome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
835706 No.835706 [Reply] [Original]

So, I'm reading "under the dome" by Stephen King. About halfway in. Very interesting book, it's cool to see ow the small conmunity develops rapidly when they're cut off from the word. Reminds me of Lord of the Flies, spiced up with a healthy dose of fascism.

Anyone else who have read it? What did you think of it? I'm not done with it yet, so no spoilers please.

>> No.835708

I've thought about it, but I'm guessing the second half is a spiral downwards into shit.

>> No.835721

Havent read it, but this concept sounds suspiciously like the great All Flesh Is Grass, by Clifford Simak.

>> No.835726

>>835721

It sounds suspiciously like The Simpsons Movie.

>> No.835731

There is less pig crap in this.

>> No.835743

>>835731

What about lazy episodic writing?

>> No.835763

Fun read but I was annoyed by the incredibly evil bad guys and the saintly good guys. Big Jim didn't have an evil cackle but he might as well have. I prefer grey characters myself.

I liked the kids' dreams and prophecies, the way I knew something terrible would happen but had no idea what exactly it would be.

>> No.835768

So he has written another the Stand let alone without the build-up?

>> No.835792

>>835768

Was about to say much the same. At least, unlike a catastrophic plague, a giant dome coming down is utterly ridiculous, so the third/fourth/fifth act isn't likely to be entirely reprehensible.