[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 38 KB, 349x332, headphones-and-book.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
834454 No.834454 [Reply] [Original]

Anybody here listen to music when they read? This is mostly for fantasy books, but whenever I accompany an immersive book with an artist, I always remember the book when I listen to the song (especially if its something that just seems to fit, like agalloch and a song of ice and fire)

>> No.834469

Ahaha, yeah, I've done it before, and the same thing happens to me.
Actually, you can do a lot of interesting things with the music association phenomenon. I read creepypasta from /x/ while listening to sped up rave/pop music, so now chipmunk voices make me think of DOD BORT and Candle Cove and stuff...

>> No.834493

I listen to Music Has the Right to Children by Boards of Canada almost every time I read a discworld novel. Feels good man

>> No.834530

I can't.
I already get sidetracked by thoughts/daydreams while reading.
Music would distract me more.

>> No.834534

>>834469

>DOD BORT

I genuinely hate that copypasta.

Anyway, I always have my iPhone handy, with some queued up music when I read.
Plus, when I'm reading OFF my iPhone itself, music just presents itself. Some guy once asked me how I read and listen to music. It's easy, if you don't have the brain of a gnat.

Didn't say that to his face, though. I'm a diplomatic kind of guy.

>> No.834537

I listen to music that isn't distracting. It's the whole reason I got into Orchestral music. Sometimes Jazz on the radio, but if I know the song then I'm going to lose focus.

>> No.834540

I have to listen to heavy metal, no matter what the book. If I listen to music I thoroughly enjoy, I'll get distracted

>> No.834544
File: 47 KB, 315x475, 6a00fae8e41077000b0100a8008adf000e-500pi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does /lit/ like the rest of The Divine Comedy? I always hear people rattle on about The Inferno, but every time I try to talk to people about Purgatorio or Paradiso they just look at me. What did you guys think?

>> No.834547

Usually classical or ambient. I can't read in silence.

Maybe even some quiet neo-folk stuff like Current 93 or Death in June.

>> No.835295

Infected mushroom
I'm doing it right now, I have Muse Breaks on repeat.

>> No.835328

I don't mind some dark ambient while reading once in a while, but more often than not I find music of any genre distracting.

>> No.835338

I listen to classical and folk music when I write but not when I read.
There is nothing better than listening to Antonin Dvoraks 9th Symphony while writing even if it's something stupid.