[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 174 KB, 700x435, BOOK.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
831734 No.831734 [Reply] [Original]

Say, /lit/, as a reader, which do you consider to be more important to an engrossing read: well-written characters, or a strong plot?

And yeah, I know they're both important, but would you be more inclined to read about interesting characters doing dumb/mundane shit, or undeveloped characters going about on a fascinating ordeal?

>> No.831749

A good writer will show us that his characters are interesting through the plot.

Long descriptive paragraphs about physical characteristics and personality traits do not make a character interesting, no matter what's described.

>> No.831751

Well-written characters.

Doesn't matter how fantastically amazing their adventures are; if they aren't well-written and feel like real people, I don't give a shit.

>> No.831759

Well-written characters. I've got to spend 300+ pages with these people, they better be interesting.

>> No.831806

For Sci Fi; plot.
For most other stuff; characters.
Every fantasy novel I've ever read tried to develop good characters but ended up with cliched bullshit.

>> No.831808

Characters, no doubt. There are books where I don't even remember the plot, but still adore them because of the characters. What they isn't too important.

>> No.831869

Characters.

Just finished (and made a thread last night) about Rendezvous With Rama. A prime example - plot was good (for the most part) and ticked along nicely, but it felt so hollow because so very little was done with the characters.

In contrast, short stories, with very little in the way of plot, but with interesting characters are great.

>> No.831870

Interesting characters that are well thought out, behave realistically.

Interesting plot, again, well thought out, realistic series of events. Complex with underlying themes.

If I cant imagine something happening, they're telling their story wrong.

>> No.831912

Going to go with characters. I'd rather read a book about well written, interesting characters doing nothing in particular than trudge through an epic plot full of plain, boring, clichéd dicks.

>> No.831919

They both aren't worth jack shit. The only thing that really matters is the quality of the prose.