[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 318x467, 636223.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8299556 No.8299556 [Reply] [Original]

I read this and enjoyed the very poetic prose, the oppressive and bleak atmosphere and the very intimate metaphor that it seemed to create. I know Anna Kavan has written a lot, and a lot even before her time in Arkham, but does any of her other work feel similar to this? I imagine even just poems by her would satisfy me at this point.

And if you're interested let's talk about Ice because I think it's worth discussing.

>> No.8300241

bumping this once!

>> No.8300247

>>8299556
I heard it was similar to J. G. Ballards 'the crystal world' is that true?

>> No.8300769

>>8299556
She's long been on my list and I've got three of her novels as ebooks but I haven't read anything yet. They were recommended to me on Goodreads. That site's not so bad btw when it comes to recommendations, especially with regards to more obscure authors. Of course, your have to know who to listen to, otherwise you can end up reading a lot of crap. /lit/ is a lot more elitist and it's where I learned that the classics do matter and are well worth the trouble, but it tends to discuss the same things over and over.

>> No.8300787

>>8299556
I loved this book, it's definitely one I reccomend to people when they ask what I like to read. I understand the story is mostly accepted as a metaphor for a heroin addiction but I think it serves just as well as a description of the complicated relationship between man and woman, and how that relationship is constantly defined by levels of oppression. The idea that this ominous apocalypse brought on by technology reminds me that language is a type of technology, and through language we create abstract ideals and social rules which complicate the base sexual desires of men and women.