[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 795 KB, 1152x1702, Pindar_statue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8161584 No.8161584 [Reply] [Original]

Which translation of Pindar should I get?

>> No.8161654

>>8161584
shallow question here:

anyone know anything about that beard? he's got the neckbeard in a knot, but the front trimmed. was this a style trend or did he just like it or was there a practical reason?

it's just so strange.

>> No.8161779

bagles, f scott fitzergald, chapstick, lettucemore, edgar allan pope

>> No.8162874

I recommend Anthony Verity's translation for Oxford World Classics, but from what I heard from those who read it in its original language and then the English translations, say that it doesn't matter. Pindar apparently used different meters and other literary schemes while making each ode, most of which can't be carried over in English with the same affect, and it isn't like other poets, like homer and Virgil, where translators have a large pool source to get accustomed to the meter and take clues of how to carry over its affect in the language they're translating in. And from what I heard from those learning Classical Greek, Pindar is notoriously and essentially the most complex in terms of language of pretty much all Classical Greek writers (in terms of appreciating the literary flow of his work, and not trying to comprehend the didactic lessons he tries to teach or stories he tells).

I've read all his odes and they're meh in translation. A lot of them are basically the same as each other -- Pindars entire career was literally getting paid to write victory 'odes' for winning athletes at various games, so most of them get quite formulaic. But there's like 5 - 10 worth reading for either the didactic story he tells on not to be consumed by hubris, on telling myths, or him making an ode to advise some tyrant not to get too carried away in power.

>> No.8163798

>>8162874
Not OP, but thanks for the helpful response!