[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 24 KB, 316x477, anathem.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
805938 No.805938 [Reply] [Original]

everyone told me to read it... loved everything else he's ever wrote.. reviews said it was hard to grasp.. so i held off.. finally read it.. fucking mind blown.. heavy stuff.. highly suggest but be ready to take notes and cross reference with other works
any thoughts /lit/?

>> No.805950

>>805938
boring.

>> No.805952

i) Stephenson knows more about philosophy and maths than you

ii) monks are cool because they devote their entire lives to being monks

iii) MONKS IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

>> No.805968

>>805952
OP here yeah i struggled alot of the philosophy.. especially fly bat worm scenario, my macro econ professor is super approachable and i asked him he told me it was pretty much plato's cave gave me a brief layout to me the math wasnt too difficult for me though us econ majors take quite a bit of math.

>> No.805969

lol at the pseudo-philosophy in this thread

>> No.805972

>>805968
That post was nothing but jibber-jabber to me. Does this mean I will not enjoy Anathem?

>> No.805975

>>805972
if whether or not you read a book based on what is posted on 4chong then you probably will not enjoy this.
also
>implying anyone actually knows what they are talking about on this board.

>> No.806351

neal stephenson = god tier

>> No.806366

What's it about?

Seems to be similar to Canticle for Leibowitz.

MONKS IN SPACCEEEEEE

>> No.806369

i have this but i haven't read it yet

what previous works of his were referenced in this book and should i read them first before starting with this one?

>> No.806408

>>806369
none. this one's kind of standalone. although the characterization seems very familiar.

>> No.806412

>>806366
It starts out kind of like Canticle, but then after a few hundred pages (yes, the pacing is a tad slow) shit starts getting real. Basically, it takes place on an alternate Earth which was once much like ours. However, at some point in their history the common people decided that scientists were too powerful and forced them to stop doing practical work. In the 3000 years since then, all scientists have remained locked in monasteries with limited technology working only on theories. Then, as I said, shit starts getting real.

>>806369
None, as far as I know. The only other Stephenson book I've read is Snow Crash, and I didn't notice any references it it, but I guess there might have been references to others.

>> No.806456

>>805935

www._aNon_+_m_-_m_+_TaLK_.Se qx mnbj luehmf ynx zrujym wj i

>> No.808582

I've read about half of Cryptonomicon and a third of Quicksilver. It seems to me Stephenson typically refers to things from his other works in benign ways; you shouldn't have a problem keeping up...but of course I haven't touched Anathem yet because it's like a million pages long.

>> No.808707

>>808582
omg like a million paeges?

>> No.808895

I have been having difficulty getting through this one. However Stephenson is god to me. Finish Cryptonomicon and The Baroque cycle. Best shit ever.

>> No.808958

ive only read snow crash, and was planning on reading cryptonomicon next
dont know if ill ever take a crack at anathem, got a lot of other books to look at first