[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 48 KB, 600x936, HM-After(UK)Hard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
803222 No.803222 [Reply] [Original]

I really enjoyed this book, but i had some trouble "getting" Super frog saves Tokyo. I am lost as to wether it`s supposed to be a metaphor or something like that, or just a really weird story. Any opinions?

Feel free to discuss Murakamis other books as well, I love his writing, and a fresh perspective is always welcome.

>> No.803244

>I am lost as to wether it`s supposed to be a metaphor or something like that, or just a really weird story.

Murakami in a nutshell.

>> No.803307

>>803244
I can agree to a certain degree, but none of his other works strike me as being as ambiguous as the Super frog story. So i was just hoping someone smarter than me had anything sensible to say about it. I find it hard to accept it as just a weird story

>> No.803327

>>803307
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

>> No.803346

>>803327
Yeah, but this particular cigar would be completely inconcistent with Murakamis style if that was the case, in my opinion he seems to use supernatural/weird stuff as a way of getting a point across.

>> No.803894

His short stories are mostly shit bro.

>> No.803902

>>803894

Yet they''re still better than his novels.

>> No.803911

>>803902
I promised myself not to feed trolls, but here I go again!

In my opinion his novels are uniquely heart touching. The plot might seem simple but the atmosphere and the aftertaste are something incredible.

>> No.803931
File: 78 KB, 950x692, freud_leans.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>803327

>> No.804730

I loved the Super Frog story. I didn't see it as a metaphor, or as even as the main character's fantasy. I preferred to view it as a reality that only the main character (forgot his name) could see, and that the mundane real world - the hospital, the shouts while he was unconscious - was what the rest of the of world was limited to seeing.

There's something about his writing that makes this alternate universe view so real. In Dance Dance Dance, you may be able to dismiss the skeleton room as only in his mind, but I have a much harder time with the Sheep Man. Same in Wild Sheep Chase.

>> No.804741

>>803222
I HOPE YOU DIDN'T SPOIL ANYTHING FOR ME!

>> No.804748

>>803894
>>803902
Philistines. After the Quake is probably the best small book of short stories I've ever read. Blind Willow Sleeping Woman is pretty good, too.

>> No.804757

I remember Super frog saves Tokyo tripping me out when I read it 3 years ago. I can't even read again because I traded my copy for a friend's copy of Sputnik Sweetheart.

>> No.804759

>>804748
I like The Elephant Vanishes.

>> No.804771

>>804759
Wow, I did too. "Lederhosen" was great. "The Silence" creeped the living hell out of me. And "Sleep" - I read it years ago and never forgot it. Great collection.

>> No.804774

I haven't read this, but assuming from your discussion, if Super Frog is something like a guy in a frog suit, then it's probably a throwback to Japanese eighties tokusatsu heroes, like Kamen Rider. Murakami likes evoking nostalgia a lot.