[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 152 KB, 480x854, Screenshot_2016-04-19-19-37-36.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7985451 No.7985451 [Reply] [Original]

See picrelated.

All of art (when portrayed as anything other than entertainment) and philosophy has nothing to tell us. It's all so trivial and bullshit.

If we spoke in algebra, here would be how philosophy is discussed.

"Listen to me, 'X + Y = 10'!"

"But have you also noticed that '2X + 2Y = 20'?"

"My God, I have upended everything! 'X^2 + 2XY + Y^2 = 100'!"

>Large gap of 100 years

Harvard educated philosophy professor: "'100 - 2XY = X^2 + Y^2'!!!!"

>> No.7985454

one 3: "To be or not to be? The universe is my will or the will is my universe?"
One 3: "To be or not to be? The universe is my will or the will is my universe?".

>> No.7985470
File: 96 KB, 588x399, poly.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>has nothing to tell us
It affects how people behave.

If people think there is true love, or honor for the nation, those are concept of the mind but you get completely different people or actions.
A philosophical argument can change your mind.

>> No.7985499

Algebra is inseparable from the language we describe it with. It shows us reality but only in a trivial way we can use for more algebra and more analysing.

Art and philosophy reveal truth in spite of language and show to us reality in an intuitive, subjective (but much more tangible) way.

>> No.7985535

Your analogy with algebra just makes no sense. Philosophy is fundamentally argument-centric. Those four different 'epiphanies', if you will, that you mention are four different arguments for some, not necessarily the same, conclusion. Philosophy's job is to speculate, rationally, using the logico-mathematical tools developed in the early 20th century.

It is easy to spot those who have little to no experience with philosophy. They dismiss philosophy as being worthless but, ironically, do not register that any talk of philosophy as being worthless is itself philosophy. The thing is, if you don't befriend philosophy and don't develop your view (that philosophy is worthless) according to standards and virtues of philosophy you'll almost certainly end up in the same bag with Bill Nye, Harris, Krauss, Tyson, etc. Ignorant crackpots, basically.

Just imagine how big of an ass-rape and ass-whoppin' it would be if someone like Ted Sider or Kit Fine or Saul Kripke or Tim Williamson or Neil Tennant or Tim Maudlin debated someone like Bill Nye or Harris or Krauss or Tyson.

>> No.7985621

>>7985451
Except Russell was definitively btfo by Godel. Godamn there should be prereq level of education to post here

>> No.7985645
File: 52 KB, 639x328, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pic related: average philosophy professor from an Ivy League school living a life of luxury thanks to tax dollars.

>> No.7985655
File: 110 KB, 540x960, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Philosophy culture lmao.
The most Mary Sue ass bullshit ever.
Oh you just figured out 'society' is just like a word maaaaannnn?
Go smoke another bong hippie everyone else already understood all that 'spooky' shit you're just now figuring out when they were twelve.
You're literally the same as the people who believe in paranormal bullshit and accuse everyone else of being close minded.
Wish fulfilling wanna be special ass morons.
Fuck philosophy.

>> No.7985660

>>7985655
>stemplebs actually believe this
You sound bitter, m8.

>> No.7985663

>>7985645
>Pic related: youtube comments section
fix'd

But at any rate, you'd get verbally destroyed if you had a discussion with an "average philosophy professor from an Ivy League school".

It's just how it is, babe. Youtube-comments-section debates and debates in academic philosophy are two, radically different realms of debate.