[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 61 KB, 640x642, 1275711854630.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
796531 No.796531 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/. English Major here, about to go into my 3rd year. I haven't declared a minor, and I'm absolutely lost on what I want to do with it. I thought about editing, but that's not really in the running anymore. I wont teach anymore than I'll eat my right arm.
What... can you do with an English degree? My last advisor was less than helpful. I'm thinking about changing to library science. I figure that's the same everywhere, so I could get a job abroad if I so desired.
What other options do I have in an English Major?

>> No.796544

Switching to library science would help you get a decent job. An English degree is basically useless unless you want to write technical manuals or teach snot nosed brats and even then the jobs are scarce.

>> No.796548

You can teach High School English. That's it. Or you can work your ass off to be a professor and teach English to slightly older children. Or you can work your ass off to get a science degree and actually go somewhere in life.

>> No.796600

Change your major. That's always an option. Just minor in english. It's really not TOO late to do that, and lots of people change majors all the time.

>> No.796619

>>796600
what this guy said.
You don't want to pay for that piece of paper ( your masters or what have you.) and have no job to use it in.

>> No.796646

>>796619
You can teach at community colleges with a masters degree in things like literature.

>> No.796655

>>796531

ESL is an option, especially if you're willing to travel abroad. Teaching programs in countries like China are a good experience, especially if you're looking to take a year off after uni.