[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.03 MB, 1705x2427, oh boy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7960985 No.7960985 [Reply] [Original]

Books you loved as a kid but realized were garbage when you grew up?

Pic related for me. I remember reading this in 2nd or 3rd grade and being enthralled. I revisited it a few years ago and was in awe over how heavy handed and uncharacterized it was.

>Cuts down every tree he finds
>Dogs mangle the shit out of raccons
>Neighbor kid falls on an axe and dies and no one bats an eye

I guess kids have to start somewhere but goddamn some places use this in early middle school.

>> No.7961013
File: 70 KB, 520x592, 1424187931713.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's really sad to see contrarians on 4chan bash the things they love when they were younger. It's obvious they're trying so hard to compensate for something.

Sometimes it isn't about being "good" or "bad". If you view any sort of art that way, you don't have any real love for it.

>> No.7961049

>>7961013
There's a difference between fondly looking back on things you have nostalgia for and objectively looking at its merits.

>> No.7961050

>>7961013
It's possible to have a negative opinion of something without intentionally trying to be edgy or contrarian. I don't like or interpret things the same in my late 20s as I did in my late single digits and that's just how it is. It's not "contrarian" to view something objectively years later, especially if the things you notice are capable of bringing you out of the immersion of a story.

As a kid I loved soda and now it makes me sick. What is that compensating for?

>> No.7961139

Re-read His Dark Materials last year, the first two books are solid but I couldn't bring myself to finish the third. It just drags on for so long, with nothing of interest happening. There is this huge, mystical world where a man is literally preparing for a war against god, but instead Pullman focuses on Lyra being kidnapped (for like the third time in the series).

>> No.7962093

>>7961139
John C. Wright wrote a pretty good criticism of Pullman's lack of vision at the end of the series if you search for it.

>> No.7962103

When I was a kid I hated Fahrenheit 451 because I was a pleb.
Tried reading it awhile ago and it's just shit.

>> No.7963532

The Belgariad