[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 116 KB, 563x261, 563_0_resize.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
792598 No.792598 [Reply] [Original]

Hello, /lit/. I do hope I'm doing this right, as I've only visited 4chan a handful of times and just now noticed this board. See, I have a problem.
I recently graduated highschool, and thanks to "No Child Left Behind," I passed with exceptional marks, only to realize I don't know shit. I'm going to a somewhat prestigious school in Autumn and I'm quite sure I'll be laughed out.
As part of my preparation for the real world, I've decided I must become literate. Of course, I'll be sacrificing my social life entirely and most of my friends will probably grow to resent me in the coming months, but that probably would have happened in college anyway.
Sorry for that tedious introduction. If I may be so bold, I respectfully ask for a list of books essential for the literate citizen to read and know. I will record each response, and thank you all in advance.
Regards.

TL;DR: I wanna be literate, what should I start with?

>> No.792602

Everybody Poops

>> No.792605

What did you read in high school?

Reading older British works like Shakespeare can vastly improve your vocabulary and make everything else you read seem simple by comparison.

>> No.792611

http://4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading

>> No.792610

Those are both terrible suggestions. OK, An American Dream by Norman Mailer, Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger, Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller, Short Stories by Flannery O' Conner

>> No.792617

I smell troll shit.

>> No.792619

Theodore Dreiser.

Because "An American Tragedy" > "Great Gatsby"

>> No.792616

>>792602
Kind of unsettling when you think about it, really.
>>792605
Oh, I guess about a sub-par version of what everyone in high school reads. I was most intrigued by "The Catcher in the Rye" (No, I don't want to kill anyone) and "All Quiet on the Western Front." Unfortunately, these were also about as complex as my high school curriculum got. I know, appalling. I'll take your Shakespeare suggestion into consideration, I've read a couple of his works in secondary school and got about as into them as a 12 year old who barely reads can. Thank you for the advice.

>> No.792625

>>792610
Thanks, I'll be sure to check them out. :)
>>792611
Oh gosh, thanks. Haha, I really should have checked around more. Those sure are a lot of books for a summer, though... Gosh.

>> No.792635

>>792625
If you're wanting to become literate it's going to take more than a summer. And sacrificing your social life isn't a good idea. If you do nothing but read you'll grow sick of it.

>> No.792642

The Inferno and The Divine Comedy by that Dante guy. Pretty good stuff if you can understand it

>> No.792651

>>792619
this is the first time i've seen someone other than myself mention an american tragedy. that book is so wonderful guys i'm so happy well not really but that is great to see it getting mentioned

>> No.792652

>>792619
Thanks for the suggestion. I did read "The Great Gatsby," and found it to be so-so. I do hope this author
better piques my interest.
>>792635
I won't simply be reading. I'll be catching up on all areas of society which my high school education was rather lacking in (see:all.) I do understand that I won't be walking through the quad next year a literary genius; I simply hope to be at least average. My high school was somewhat recently rated among the bottom fifty of the United States.

>> No.792655

>>792642
Thanks for the suggestion. Oh gosh, maybe now I'll be able to better understand that "What circle of Hell are you?" quiz that all my scene facebook friends take too seriously.
>>792651
I'll be sure to put it at least near the top of my list. :)

>> No.792658

The Brothers Karamazov, Winesburg Ohio, anything by James Baldwin, Slaughterhouse Five

>> No.792692

>>792651
It's seriously underrated!

Tripfag, though it's otherwise a taboo, I salute you.

>> No.792709

>>792658
Thank you, thank you, I've wanted to read a few of these books for quite some time.
>>792692
Haha, thanks. I don't know why, but thanks anyway.

>> No.792722

>>792709
he was "saluting" fagolee not you brah.

anyways I reccomend starting with some entry-level stuff like Ulysses by James Joyce.

>> No.792735

>>792658
I enjoyed Winesburg Ohio, but I didn't think it was a literary masterpiece. Decent, but not amazing.

>> No.792751

>>792722
Haha! Oh, I never thought I'd blush from something off the internet. My bad, my bad! For sure this reflects how red my face will be while reading anything by James Joyce, seeing as I've read snippets of his personal letters. On the list regardless, thank you. :)
>>792735
Oh? Care to elaborate? This is one of those books I've had some interest in reading in the past.

>> No.792754

>>792751
Forgot my trip code, sorry. ):

>> No.792756

>>792751
A lot of it was just kind of...boring? I don't know. It had its good stories, but then some of them were just a pain to slog through.

>> No.792819
File: 199 KB, 640x480, 1267717793631.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>792635

>> No.792830

>>792751
I kind of lied, James Joyce should probably go last on your list... definitely not entry-level.
You're a girl aren't you.

>> No.792831

>>792756
Hmm, I'll take this into consideration. Thanks for indulging me. :)
>>792819
Haha, thanks for bumping my thread and helping me maintain the "Two responses per post" pattern.

>> No.792848

Have you read the Bible OP?

----------> Serious question: in the sense that is the foundational text of Western society.

>> No.792864

What is your major OP? It might actually be worth your time to read books on your core subjects.

>> No.792876

>>792830
Haha, I'll take that into consideration. Yes, I am a girl. Go ahead, blame my stupidity on my sex. I tend to believe that the individual is responsible for his or her actions and - in this case - thought processes.
>>792848
I find this suggestion to be very valuable, thank you. I've had snippets read to me, but I've never exactly "gotten around" to reading it. Thanks for the suggestion, no matter how much it made my lazy self cringe.

>> No.792880

Don't forget your classic short stories, man. Too many to list.

>> No.792882

>>792876
I'm not blaming you for being stupid.
It's just the blushing about reading his personal letters gave you away...lol

>> No.792887

List of books that have appeared on the AP test's open ended question: http://homepage.mac.com/mseffie/AP/APtitles.html

Almost all of the list is accessible and solid. I'd recommend not getting any grand ideas early on. Read shorter works and actually consider what they have to say. Don't tackle anything beyond say 500 pages so you can cover more ground and increase your abilities.

>> No.792898

I'm still pretty sure OP is a troll.

>> No.792909

>>792864
I'm not yet in college, and far too indecisive to have one specific major in mind. Probably I'll end up staying in school forever, too afraid of the "real world." Sorry this post doesn't help, as I'm quite touched that you took the time to ask me a personal question to better understand how to help me. Very, very flattered. :)
>>792880
Of course, of course! I do prefer them for the most part, as I'm pretty scatter-brained. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
>>792882
Oh my gosh, I'm terribly sorry! Really, really dreadful of me - oh dear. I'd like to blame the internet for making me suspicious of misogyny, but that really wouldn't be fair as it was my choice, and my choice alone, to take the offensive. Even worse that you were attempting to help me while I pessimistically "flamed" you. I am sincerely apologetic, please forgive my faux pas.

>> No.792921

>>792887
Thank you, thank you, that's wonderfully helpful! I also like your suggestion, I'm quite thrilled that you've said that as I'm quite lazy. Perhaps that will change, should I acquire a love for literature? Fingers crossed.
>>792898
Then I doubt I will convince you otherwise.

>> No.792923

Heart of Darkness. Read it. Love it.

>> No.792925

>>792909
uhmm...No offense taken.
Good luck on your /lit/erature journey.

>> No.792926

>>792921
Even if you love reading certain books are known for being very difficult and trying such as Ulysses or Infinite Jest.

>> No.792928

>>792923

terrible book

>> No.792929

>>792928
Regardless it is one of the most discussed modern works in the west.

>> No.792933

khanacademy.org

Learn about everythimg, at your own pace.

>> No.792935

>>792909

>I'm not yet in college, and far too indecisive to have one specific major in mind.

Ah, getting your MRS then. Gotcha.

>> No.792936

First, you are really unbearably polite and deferential. Thank you very much; it's a pleasant change.

The primary piece of advice I would give you in this regard is simply to read - read as much as you can. In particular, read things that catch your fancy; don't hold to some prescribed plan with complete obedience. If you read something you really love, learn about it - read other things by the same author, things dealing with the same themes, things which influenced it and which were influenced by it. The second thing to keep in mind is that most people at college are not as well read as they may seem - there's a lot of faking, sad to say.

In terms of concrete suggestions of books, I would mention Shakespeare as always being useful. In addition, I would, off the top of my head, recommend A Tale of Two Cities, The Things They Carried, A Clockwork Orange, any collection of short stories by Hemingway, Brideshead Revisited, the Iliad and the Odyssey. And of course read just about any poetry you can get your hands on.

Lastly, I hope you don't mind if I ask where you're going to attend college?

>> No.792938

>>792923
Hmm, I think I read halfway through that in the 8th or 9th grade, no offense. However, it is still sitting on my bookshelf so I will revisit it. Thank you for the suggestion :)
>>792925
Glad to hear it, thanks. :)
>>792926
Yes, I quite agree that I am no where near that point. Light years away. More than that. Enough to use this ridiculous emoticon which I normally abhor: @_@ Thanks for the warning :)
>>792928
Would you care to elaborate, please?

>> No.792940

>>792598
Heather Has Two Mommies

>> No.792944

>>792938
Oh, my god! Eighth or ninth grade? You should really revisit it. It's really an amazing book, I'd say. But it takes a lot of thought to unravel the meaning of it.

>> No.792950
File: 52 KB, 309x475, sound.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP is too nice.
I hope she stays.

This is my recommendation.
It was the first book in my failed book club here.

>> No.792957

OP do you often dream of getting out, getting anywhere, getting all the way to the FBI?

>> No.792963

>>792957
....?

>> No.792969

>>792957
OP, does this town rip the bones from your back? Is it a death trap, a suicide rap? Do we gotta get out while we're young? Tramps like us, baby, were we born to run?

>> No.792974
File: 18 KB, 425x269, hannibal-lecter-425.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well-scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste. Good nutrition has given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, Agent Starling? And that accent you've tried so desperately to shed? Pure West Virginia. What's your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamp? You know how quickly the boys found you. All those tedious sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars, while you could only dream of getting out, getting anywhere, getting all the way to the FBI.

>> No.792978

>>792933
Thanks so much! I'm quite thrilled that this thread is getting so many well-intentioned replies. I must admit that I expected rather less of 4chan, you all have called my bluff and for this I thank you. :)
>>792935
Haha, I see where you could assume this but I'd like to object. I'm not saying I'm a gold digger... I do occasionally mess with broke niggas...
>>792936
Thank you very, very much. I'd like to say I'm this nice to everyone, but I do lose my temper quite a bit. Facebook confirms.
Thank you, thank you for the advice! It's been extremely helpful and I've copy-pasted your entire post into the Word document I've been compiling for this purpose. Lastly, thanks for validating my desire to read "A Clockwork Orange."
I am deeply sorry for my seemingly (even to me) unfounded paranoia, but I've had trouble with 4chan "trolling" me in the past and I am irrationally afraid of giving away personal information. Truly sorry for that, I would love to talk more with all of you!

>> No.792993

>>792940
Haha! This post quite literally made me laugh out loud. Not so long ago, the parents of a couple children I was babysitting had me read this book to their sons. Their reactions were interesting, to say the least.
>>792944
Yes, at that age I was rather into things which were far over my head. Thank you for the suggestion, I do hope I haven't foolishly ruined the book for myself.
>>792950
Aww, thank you so much. You're too kind. :)
And, of course, thank you for your suggestion! I've heard great things about this book and I feel quite compelled to read it. What happened with your book club? The idea sounds quite intriguing.
>>792957
You could say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
>>792969
Props to my mom's musical tastes for helping me get this reference.
>>792974
More misplaced John Lennon lyrics.

>> No.793004

Since you seem far too happy OP, I suggest you read the following:

Waiting for Godot
The Myth of Sisyphus
Of Human Bondage

>> No.793010

>>792978
I completely understand, this being 4chan and all.
>>793004
Out of these three, only read Godot. The others, while worthwhile, are probably not the best way to invest your time... unless of course you really want to.

>> No.793012

>>792598

Are you by any chance a minority?

>> No.793014

>>793010

Pardon me sir, but don't tell me how to pour a misery cocktail.

>> No.793020

>>792993
A lot of people from /lit/ all agreed on that book and we started reading it but...I guess people just gave up.
It's a good book...but I think the southern vernacular and non-linear timescale in the first chapter really throws people off.

>> No.793030

>>793012
Well... are you?

>> No.793038

>>793030

OP is pretty cagey.

>> No.793046

>>793010
Haha, I found this pretty funny. Thanks a ton :)>>793004
Oh dear, I will keep this in mind. Thanks for your understanding.
>>793012
I am not.
>>793014
Ohhhh dear.
>>793020
Gosh, what a shame! It really does sound like a splendid idea.

>> No.793047

Canterbury Tales?
Then maybe The Decameron if you like Chaucer.

>> No.793048

>>793038
What's that supposed to mean?
that wasn't OP.

>> No.793052

OP you say gosh a lot....wtf?

>> No.793058

>>793052
she's.....ladylike?

>> No.793061
File: 51 KB, 589x802, White_Knight.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>793058

>> No.793062

Oops! Sorry, I switched computers and forgot to add my trip code. Warning, warning, I have no more spell check so please forgive any spelling errors.
>>793047
Thanks, I'll look into it :)

>> No.793070

>>793052
Oh dear, I'm sorry. Force of habit, I suppose. I know a lot of people who are quite offended by the word "God."
>>793058
Aww, thanks for assuming the best. I must assure you it is not so, however, haha.
>>793061
I laughed a little.

>> No.793072

First principles, Clarice. Simplicity. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature?

>> No.793082
File: 10 KB, 393x467, anthony_hopkins_hannibal_lecter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>793070

You're very frank, OP. I think it would be quite something to know you in private life

>> No.793087

Another random? Candide

>> No.793089

>>793072
Haha, you're making me wish I'd either read the trilogy or seen the movie.
>>793082
Haha, thanks. I would describe myself as rather frank as well. I'm somewhat tempted to create a new AIM account, should anyone be interested in talking. :)

>> No.793093

>>792978
Dear god you remind of a girl in my philosophy tute OP. Normally I would tell you to stop being so goddamn nice, but it's a breath of fresh air here, and you seem to be putting the trolls off guard.

>> No.793094

Mythology by Edith Hamilton.

Pretty much the core greek/roman mythology text. Essential for grasping at our cultural heritage.

>> No.793103

>>793094

Oh, and I also must suggest the complete Dialogues of Plato. These embody the foundations of western philosophy and are actually quite relaxedly conversational, despite the heavyweight subject matter.

>> No.793102

>>793087
>>793093
Haha, I suppose thank you. If you knew me in real life, it would never occur to you to ever tell me to stop being nice. Haha
>>793094
Thank you :) I rather agree, as I was interested in mythology as a kid. Well... That, and dinosaurs, so grain of salt etc.

>> No.793113

>>793093

I'm pretty sure OP is an alien.

>> No.793119

>>793103
Thanks! I'm always thrilled at the promise of an easy(-er) read. :)
>>793113
Yep, if you cut into me I'm full of Reeses Pieces.

>> No.793129

>>793119

Help us out a little OP, what books have you read that you liked?

>> No.793146

heres my suggestion OP. never ever put sacrifice your social life to read. the rewards you reap from a solid social circle will pay far higher dividends then putting a few lit classics under your belt.
that aside read these books during your free time:
Hermann Hesse - Demian
Paulo Coehlo - The Alchemist
Ayn Rand - The Fountainhead
protip - college is easier than you think. why you so concerned? you in an ivy?

>> No.793161

The Grapes of Wrath, 1984/A Brave New World/Faranheit 451 (one or all).

>> No.793183

>>793129
Hmm, that's a bit tough seeing as I haven't read many books on my own. I've already listed "All Quiet on the Western Front" and "The Catcher in the Rye." I read "The Stand" in the 6th grade and loved it, though after middle school I started hating the writing style and lack of depth.
Some other books I enjoyed were "Schindler's List," I LOVED "War and Peace," and "The Kite Runner."
Conversely, I just finished "The Handmaid's Tale," and I cannot say I enjoyed it. I did, however, like the fact that Atwood showed the two sides of misogyny: the men who act upon their anti-woman beliefs and the women who take no action. Haha, that makes me sound like such a feminist and I would absolutely distance myself from feminists. Many believe women are above men in some way, and I'd like to take this time to say "Hahahahahaha... no."
>>793146
Thank you for both the suggestions and the advice! No, I am not in an Ivy League school. And yes, I do agree that social circles are of highest importance and I really love my friends more than anything else in the world, I was half-joking. Hopefully I can find a balance between friends, family, and diligent study this summer. :)

>> No.793249

>>793161
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. :)
Oops, looks like I forgot my trip code the last couple of posts, sorry. Very scatterbrained.
Haha, well I went ahead and created a new AIM account anyway, if anyone would like to talk at all about anything, please message me. Everyone here seems so delightfully helpful, I'd like nothing more than to talk at length with a few people. :)
So, the account is "LiterateNot." Not expecting really any messages, but I'll probably be up half the night so I'd love to get a few. :)

>> No.793290

no one wants to talk to you, troll.

>> No.793335

>>793290
Haha, seems like you're right.
Well, thank you SO MUCH everyone for the huge amounts of help you've all given me! I'm very excited to start reading, though I have no idea where to start, haha. I'm considering "A Clockwork Orange."
So, I guess this entire thread will be gone by the time I wake up tomorrow, which is sad to me. You've all been so very kind and helpful, I wish I could repay any of you in some small way. Oh, well. I suppose that's one of many drawbacks of asking favors from strangers.
So once more, thank you, thank you! This thread has inspired me and changed my view of 4chan. I cannot say thank you enough, but I'll try. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.
Well, sleep well everyone. I'm off!
PS. I'll log into that AIM account a couple times tomorrow in case anyone would like to chat. :)

>> No.793351
File: 3 KB, 89x126, 1274439510633.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>793335
>So, I guess this entire thread will be gone by the time I wake up tomorrow, which is sad to me.
This gave me a good laugh.
There's a pretty good chance this thread will still be here, OP. This board is one of the slowest boards on 4chan, if not the slowest.

>> No.793379
File: 43 KB, 640x480, peter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>792598
I strongly suggest you start with Demian by Hesse.
I will also suggest you not to pick the next book before you've finished the one before it on the list, as your views and taste can change from book to book.
But Demian is a great leaping point which will build a good intellectual foundation, prepare you for and make you want even more the deeper stuff, and it will also build your self confidence.

>> No.793884

>>793351
Haha, seems like you're right. I do hope this post doesn't annoy anyone by "bumping" this thread, but I'm really overjoyed that this thread's still here. I also hope very much that it might help some other people, though I somewhat doubt it.
>>793379
Ooh, thank you! I am very intrigued and will look into it without a doubt. :)

>> No.793920

>>793351

I'm pretty damn sure /i/ is slower than /lit/

but /lit/ is fucking down there.

>> No.794044

>>793920
Yeah but the difference is that nobody cares about /i/

>> No.794104

Well, I'm about halfway through Demian and I must say that I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Thanks so much, anonymous person who has recommended it to me! I'm drawing a lot of parallels to my own life and experiences (good and bad) and it is, as promised, a simple enough read. Thanks a ton, /lit/! :)

>> No.795264

Bumping for best troll ever.

/Will you marry me?

>> No.797109

>>795264
Haha, I'm really not a troll but thanks for the bump anyway. :)
So, just got home and read through the rest of Demian, I liked it but found the ending left a bit to be desired in a way I can't quite describe... I suppose that doesn't make much sense but I'm a bit tired. I know, excuses. :) Oh well. Not quite sure which book to move onto next... I'm feeling something somewhat bizarre.

>> No.797126

>>797109
Kafka

>> No.797225

Demian is about as simple as it gets in terms of turning philosophy into fiction. You won't get from it what you can unless you know about existentialism.

Otherwise,
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath (first book I ever read that stirred me not because of the story but because of the quality of the writing.)
Woman Hollering Creek - Sandra Cisneros (short stories. like Plath, her prose reads like poetry.)
Jesus' Son - Denis Johnson (short stories again. a bit of a mindfuck, really. there's one called "Emergency" I read in tenth grade and even now, 4-5 years later, it still blows my mind.)

>> No.797254

>>797126
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. :)
>>797225
I confess I know a bit but not nearly enough about existentialism; however, what little I do know was reflected in the story. I don't know where I was going with that sentence, haha sorry.
And thanks for the suggestions! I'll add them to my list. :)

>> No.797261

Don't worry too much if you didn't study too much in High School. I didn't work as hard as many other kids in my class (took very few AP classes) and got into Berkeley. Going into the school, I thought I would do poorly since I didn't do much in HS but now I'm doing fine with a ~3.8 GPA.

You'll learn a lot in college anyway, don't worry too much about it. It is good to learn though. good luck!

>> No.797277

What college?

>> No.797327

>>797261
Thanks! This gave me a good confidence boost. I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well. :)
>>797277
Truly sorry, but I'm not comfortable disclosing that information to the internet at large. Just ask the kind gentleman currently accusing me of all the evils of the world over AIM. :)