[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 38 KB, 250x400, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7905631 No.7905631 [Reply] [Original]

What did you think of his writing /lit/?

>> No.7905635

'sgood

>> No.7905647

I like him for the most part. I'm reading Michel Houellebecq's Hp Lovecraft: Against the World Against Life which is cool, even if I think that Lovecraft's views aren't actually that interesting.

>> No.7905648

I just ordered the penguin collection. I've only read Dagon and shadow over inns mouth but I like his writing

>> No.7905673

He's the biggest meme author of all time.

A lot of his early works relied on the stupid bullshit of "I saw a monster and it was so scary that I can't even describe it." Yes I know he did that to represent general, amorphous, unknowable evil, but it really comes off as lazy and unsatisfying, and he did it way too much.

That being said, his prose, while a little purple for my taste, is still great. His use of uncommon, difficult words for simple ideas contributes to the foreign, unnatural atmosphere. You can tell he really cared what words SOUNDED like, not just what their meaning was. And despite retards screaming about Memethulu, Lovecraft's horror style was incredible and unique.

All in all I think he's a magnet for retards but still a great author. He's better than Poe.

>> No.7905690

>>7905673
Of course- great authors attract both intellectuals, dolts, and the in-betweens.

I never let fans of particular authors repel me, because I know that they are not even comprehending the writing since it's only fashionable to them.

>> No.7906043
File: 104 KB, 630x806, hp feelcraft.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>"That earlier illness had kept me in seclusion, limited my knowledge of the world, & given me something of the fatuous effusiveness of a belated adolescent when I finally was able to get around more in 1920, is hardly much of an excuse. . . . The only consolation lay in the reflection that I had matured a bit since '24. It's hard to have done all one's growing up since 33—but that's a damn sight better than not growing up at all."
—HPL in a letter to Catherine L. Moore February 7, 1937

>> No.7906050

Why is there a thread about hpl every two days?

>> No.7906495

>>7906043
One of us?

>> No.7906857

>>7905673
>A lot of his early works relied on the stupid bullshit of "I saw a monster and it was so scary that I can't even describe it."
kind of agree with this, though i think how successful it is depends on the story. when he doesn't rely on this tactic his stories are better. i think arthur jermyn is an excellent story (though i know many people believe it is very racist). while sometimes i think his somewhat convoluted prose adds to the story, a lot of the time it feels more like an obstacle than anything.

>> No.7907560

Dream cycle > all

>> No.7907578
File: 35 KB, 552x583, tumblr_o2tl5nTJht1rmerh9o1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Most of his short stories are awful. His novels are mostly good though. Nontheless he created one of the best and vast myths of all time.

>> No.7907663

i think he's alright

in the lit wiki it says that his prose is "opaque". i still wonder what the hell that's supposed to mean.

>> No.7907744

On Lovecraft's contradictions

>"Paradoxically, the character of Lovecraft fascinates us partly because his system of values is entirely opposed to ours. Fundamentally racist, openly reactionary, he glorifies puritan inhibition and quite evidently finds repellent any "open display of eroticism". Resolutely anti-commercial, he despises money, considers democracy to be pure folly, progress an illusion. The word "liberty", so dear to Americans, elicits from him only a gloomy sneer. All his life he maintained a typically aristocratic attitude of scorn for humanity in general, together with an extreme solicitude toward individuals in person. What is agreed is that all those who knew Lovecraft in person felt an immense sadness at the announcement of his death. Robert Bloch, for example, wrote: "If I had known the truth about the state of his health, I would have run to Providence to see him." August Derleth dedicated the rest of his life to collating, editing and publishing the posthumous fragments of his absent friend."
p.7

>> No.7907768

>>7905690
>>7906857
>responding to pasta

Disappointing.

>> No.7907777

>>7907744
>Fundamentally racist, openly reactionary, he glorifies puritan inhibition and quite evidently finds repellent any "open display of eroticism". Resolutely anti-commercial, he despises money, considers democracy to be pure folly, progress an illusion.

If you want to understand Lovecraft's politics and his racism, read https://radishmag.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/cosmic-horror/.. Warning: it's written by someone who basically shares his views (but is insightful nonetheless).

>> No.7907792

>>7907777
this is interesting link, thanks