[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 30 KB, 220x365, Neuromancer_(Book).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7902370 No.7902370 [Reply] [Original]

Posting this on mu and lit. What's a good album to listen to while reading Neuromancer? I'll be using good headphones.

>> No.7902372

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJr5Gzaa2ig

>> No.7902385

>>7902370
>headphones
pleb located

>not having an immersive high fidelity system
oh boi

>> No.7902394

>>7902385
In addition the short answer is: techno and/or "idm"

>tfw read neuromancer in the 1990s while listening to kid606, au techie and aphex twin

>> No.7902397
File: 428 KB, 1280x1256, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7902394
*autechre

>> No.7902424

>>7902394
eww. if you don't listen to exclusively classical you don't know anything about music

>> No.7902449

>>7902370
You listen to NOTHING. You sit the fuck down and read the damn book; you don't intentionally try to distract yourself in case you get bored from something that's supposed to be entertaining in the first place. You focus on the words that are in front of your eyes and you analyze and process them.

What is so hard about this? Why does everybody have the brain and impulse control of goldfish? Or is it just a /mu/-scum thing?

Art is not fashion, you middlebrow trash. Books are not accessories for playing cyber-pirate dressup. Media is not a substitute for an identity.

>>7902394
I'll bet you came away having formed a pretty self-image of yourself but a pisspoor understanding of both the book and the music.

>> No.7902452

>>7902424
if you haven't memorised classical music after one listen (two for some less conventional pieces) and need to listen to it more then there's no point in you listening to music at all

>> No.7902453

>>7902449
this
music is a distraction and adds nothing to the book

>> No.7902498

>>7902449
Read the Bridge Trilogy and thought that this time around maybe I'd fuck around with the aesthetic that's such a cornerstone of Gibson's work. I also wanted to gauge if people had certain mental associations between the book and pieces of music. Didn't think I'd hurt anybody's feelings that much by asking, but it figures.

Sometimes it adds to the contemplation of both art pieces, more often it doesn't. Maybe if you weren't so preoccupied with proving that you're so very, very smart, you wouldn't be so hostile to someone else being a little creative while reading, you know, fiction.

Also, cyber pirates?

>> No.7902507

pref no music

else
>Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
>Boards of Canada

>> No.7902519

>>7902449
I didn't listen to the music at the same time as I read the book, but generally what I had playing around that time

>> No.7902536

classical or nothing at all

>> No.7903352

>>7902536
Classical is the worst music to listen to while reading. It is too complex to be understood or enjoyed while you are concentrating on a book. Modern repetitive music is a bit more suitable as background music, but it still can lose a lot.

>> No.7903377
File: 47 KB, 350x350, Merzbow-pulsedemon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7903570

Aphex twin but probably nothing.

>> No.7904829

OP update: I actually decided not to listen to anything while reading it (I work night shifts and usually knock out a novel per shift). But now I've got a few albums to czech out and contemplate, thx.

As a more general note I think often writers intend their books to be read alongside or matched up with certain music. For example in The Flamethrowers, a character, who is a compulsive liar, mentions that he once had Green Onions stuck in his head for ten years. What else is one to do with such a statement other than stop for a second, and look up that song?

Now I've delved into Saturday by Ian McEwan. Page 21 of the hardcover, "Otherwise, he likes music in the theatre when he's working, mostly piano works by Bach—the "Goldberg" Variations, the Well-Tempered Clavier, the Partitas. He favors Angela Hewitt, Martha Argerich, sometimes Gustav Leonhard. In a really good mood he'll go for the looser interpretations of Glenn Gould." What else is this than McEwan recommending us some music?Sure this could later prove to be a deeper commentary on the specific character, but regardless. Guess what I'll be doing while reading this novel guys? He even mentions that Perowne listens to this while working. Maybe part of this novel was written while McEwan was listening to this.

>> No.7904833

>>7902370
The audiobook of Neuromancer

>> No.7904849

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3NoYyNKSXQ

>> No.7904868

>>7902498
> maybe I'd fuck around with the aesthetic that's such a cornerstone of Gibson's work

Heads up, approaching neuromancer as a "cyberpunk" book in line with the later, codified imargery of cyberpunk is not quite right, and if you're expecting a late 80s/early 90s punk thing lol fuck the system grrrr synth beats etc., it's not what you're going to get. It's a noir heist story that takes place in basically a vanilla late-70s/early 80s future with geodesic domes and mega space constructions, just rendered in high detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgYkpk9nJnE

>> No.7904873

>>7902453
Maybe lyrical music is wrong, but most of the appropriate music for this book isn't lyrical. It complements the atmos of the book. It's like listening to Brian Eno for a book. Except Eno isn't appropriate for this. His stuff is more ambient, not electronic.

>> No.7904901

Atari Teenage Riot

>> No.7905383

>>7904833
Great idea. And read it at your own pace too. Challenge yourself.

>> No.7905393

>>7904868
Yeah I noticed that the term fits much better with Idoru and All Tomorrow's Parties than Neuromancer or Bridge 1, Virtual Light, which are both waaaayyy more into the steamy neo-noir ascetic to the point of being almost overdone. The actual cyber-punk ones are, in my opinion, far better books.