[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 22 KB, 500x500, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7870409 No.7870409 [Reply] [Original]

What's /lit/ take on Hegel and the Phenomenology Of Spirit?

>> No.7870464

I think Hegel is pretty cool for wanting to eliminate the distinction between the individual and the universal. I think his logic in his jumps between states of consciousness is a bit flimsy and it isn't as 'scientific' and he deemed it to be. He pretty much just asserts the stages of consciousness without any real reinforcement as to why they are as they are.

All in all 7.5/10. It was a good try

>> No.7870544

>>7870464
>>isn't as scientific
Did you read the preface? How do you interpret the "Force and Understanding" ("Kraft und Verstand") section?

>> No.7870671

>>7870544
Well I was more responding to the hypocrisyin Hegel's statement in which he said Kant's 12 categories were an embarrassment to science. His reasoning for this was that they didn't provide reasons for the steps or differences between them. It was mere assertion. However, I found that his 'stages of consciousness' were also mere assertion that didn't adequately explain *why* each move was made. For instance, the move from Spirit to Absolute Knowing. He just kind of progresses.

just like Kant and his categories

>> No.7870675
File: 5 KB, 225x225, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>skipping the phrenology chapter

>> No.7870708

>>7870671
Didn't even Schopenhauer have a similar experience by reducing them to just the two (space and time)?
Also, the stage the dialectic goes through does indeed happen for a reason. The previous conceptual framework ("Notion", "Begriff", or whatever) collapses due to its own internal contradictions, that gives way to a newer and *better* one.

>> No.7870881

bump

thanks for the answers guys

>> No.7870975

The first time I read Gravity's Rainbow, I couldn't decide whether it was the best thing I'd ever read or the worst. Several readings later, it was safely near the best.

Had the same experience with Phenomenology, but I've yet to re-read it. The highs were high and the lows were low and I was very sure that I didn't get a lot of it. But honestly, book was inspiring like Joyce is inspiring, even if it was a slog in a way that Joyce isn't.

>>7870675
I thought that chapter was alright. You don't have to twist your head very far to read it as about behavioral psychology or genetics. Plus great cf. the Whale Phrenologically Examined. And the line about Hamlet was pretty good (if not as good as Hamlet's paragraph in Revealed Religion).

>> No.7871354
File: 139 KB, 533x496, 1437997550531.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Once of the most casuistic works in the history of philosophy. A work that has spawned countless interpretations and zealots due to its obfuscation and its absurd language to befuddle readers. Certainly one of the most destructive works in Western thought. What a better world we would live in if this had not been written.

It's the Koran that all aspiring young jihadists turn to for inspiration.