[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 10 KB, 200x230, safe_image.php..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
762638 No.762638 [Reply] [Original]

This any good?

>> No.762650

self-bump

>> No.762657

It's fucking mind blowing.

Get
it
now

>> No.762666

Get it. Especially if you like math.

>> No.762684

It's a hell of a book, no doubt.

>> No.762726

Get it nao. I haven't met anyone who've read and disliked it. Some of the logic parts can be a little difficult if that's not your kind of thing, but the learning curve is far from impossible so it's nothing you can't handle with a little patience, and even if you just glance over those bits (which I really wouldn't recommend), it's still well worth the read.

>> No.762730

I read GBE when I was about 20, and I thought it was fascinating. But Hofstater's overarching philosophical position is really pretty moronic. Basically the stuff you will learn from the book is great and worth reading, but the overall message is forgettable.

>> No.762744

>>762730
This pretty much nails it.

>> No.762749

>>762730
How so? Not trying to start an argument, just curious about your position.

>> No.762801

bump. Respond to OP! I'm interested, too!

>> No.762817

>>762749

Basically he's an AI researcher, and he's putting forward his theory on how machines can think like humans. His conclusion is essentially that consciousness can somehow be reduced to some kind of recursionary system for which he uses Godel numbering as a metaphor. Which is kind of clever, but just not very philosophically rigorous; it's just kind of a wild reach. My understanding is that most AI research departments don't really take his work seriously, and he is completely irrelevant to academic philosophy.

Still, like I said, I do think the book is definitely fascinating and worth reading. You will learn a lot of really interesting things from it.