[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 96 KB, 480x643, 1433195691582.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7550258 No.7550258 [Reply] [Original]

Some shadowy rulers want you in charge what gets read in high school. Pick five books to become mandatory reading.

>> No.7550261

no

kill yourself reddit

>> No.7550262
File: 900 KB, 3108x3986, 1449149874361.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

SUPER

NICE

TIGHT

GIRL

BUTTS

>> No.7550264
File: 268 KB, 834x870, 427f446ac1cde710.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7550258
GR, IJ, Ulysses, The Recognitions, 2666

>> No.7550285

Plato's Republic
Descartes' Discourse on Method
Kant's Answer to the Question: What is Enlightenment
Emerson's Self-Reliance and Divinity School Address
Nietzsche's The Greek State and Homer's Contest.
Heidegger's The Question Concerning Technology

>reading fiction

>> No.7550289

Meme trilogy
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
Hypersphere

>> No.7550294

The Little Prince for younger kids.
Animal Farm for slightly older kids.

That should foster some personal growth and encourage a lifelong interest in reading. The goal is to get them while they're young, and keep them forever.

>> No.7550303

Comeback to me after I write five books

>> No.7550311

Compilers: Principles, Techniques and Tools
Operating Systems: Design and Implementation
The Art of Computer Programming
The Mythical Man Month: Essays on Software Engineering
Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
The Cathedral and the Bazaar
The C Programming Language
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
The UNIX Programming Environment, 2nd Edition
Advanced UNIX Programming, 2nd Edition
The Pragmatic Programmer
Introduction to Algorithms
The Tao of Programming
Hacker's Delight
Code Complete

>> No.7550312

>>7550303
>the year 2015 +1
>he hasn't written 5 books

just off yourself now, there is no hope for you this time

>> No.7550389
File: 32 KB, 600x400, wer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Selected Tweets
Taipei
I will never be beautiful enough to make us beautiful together
Logogryph|
Lolito

>> No.7550402

Torah
Gospels
Quran
Lotus Sutra
Guru Granth Sahib

>> No.7550412

>>7550311
for fuck's sake anon

OP clearly said FIVE books

>> No.7550697

>>7550258
1) anything by chuck tingle
2) anything by chuck tingle
3) anything by chuck tingle
4) anything by chuck tingle
5) 1984 by george orwell

>> No.7550727

Naked Lunch
Crash
Apocalypse Culture
Lolita
Hogg

>> No.7550774

>>7550258
120 Days of Sodom
Justine
Naked Lunch
Lustmord: The Writings and Artifacts of Murderers
Lolita

>> No.7550796

In all honesty,
A Brief History of Nearly Everything
The Demon Haunted World
Better Angels of Our Nature
The Story of Philosophy
Labyrinths by Borges

In that order, which is of increasing complexity but never beyond the ability of a high schooler. Many might not 'get' Borges, though less than you'd think if they'd just finished up Story of Philosophy, but they could definitely read it. It's not Faulkner or Joyce or something where the writing itself is a barrier to many.
If everybody had to read those books our society would be so much more informed and analytical. Damn what a dream.

>> No.7550807

The Republic
The Odyssey
Paradise Lost
Hamlet
Dr Faustus

I'll have no plebs in my school. All plebs are hand-selected for reconditioning.

>> No.7550811

>>7550294
>Animal Farm
>inspires life-long interest in reading
Are you kidding me with this shit? Give them Fahrenheit 451 or something. Animal Farm inspires nothing but sleep

>> No.7550829

>>7550258
i'm not creative or knowledgeable so i would probably go for some great books stuff. the bible would definitely be one of them. i would want the students to study it more closely than i did in high school, though.

>> No.7550875
File: 179 KB, 404x521, 1439881534756.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Kids can come to school an hour early or stay an hour later and spend the hour reading books under the supervision of a teacher. This is purely optional, but if they commit to the program they get some sort of reward. I don't know what, whatever teenagers like these days that's not illegal.

The only books that aren't allowed are assigned textbooks or fiction for other classes - it has to be recreational. The point is to expose kids to recreational reading because it correlates with academic success in general.

I used to tutor kids with learning disabilities in high school and we did this, albeit for only 15 mins a day. Oh and we didn't reward the kids with anything lol, they didn't seem to enjoy it much.

>> No.7550936

>>7550875
>mfw expected that pic to be a cat holding bulgakov

>> No.7550959

>>7550875
>they didn't seem to enjoy it much.
You just pick out the kids that do and form them into a secret society that covertly makes policy for the school.

Still have a student government for the dumb kids but make them secretly follow your secret shadow government of students.

>> No.7550987
File: 152 KB, 562x800, 1444475350643.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Crucible by Arthur Miller - teaches the next generation to not jump to conclusions and to not judge people without the proper evidence; that it should be innocent until proven guilty rather than guilty until proven innocent.

Dubliners by James Joyce - partially to contextualise what living was like 100 years ago but also to test the children's knowledge of punctuation and reading comprehension.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - maybe a questionable choice, but I think it would be important for children to learn from a younger age the complications and irrationalities that could arise from depression and suicidal behaviour. It's often surprising how many children and young teens struggle with these issues: a book like The Bell Jar could raise awareness to those in school or college in regards to their peers if they suffer from depression.

Down and Out in Paris and London, or The Road to Wigan Pier by George Orwell - to teach children about poverty and the struggles of those suffering from poverty. Could be useful as companion pieces in a sociological class that focuses on marginalisation of those in poverty and reasons why they struggle to succeed.

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon - hear me out: it wouldn't be encouraged to read it page for page in classes, but rather it shall be used as a reference for the extent that language can be expressive and playful. It would be used to explore the abstract metaphors that it implements as well as the absurdist scenarios it conjures (and there may be discussion to regarding to the more taboo scenes in the book, i.e. Slothrop escaping a raping from the negroes by being flushed down the toilet; coprohilia BDSM; etc - it will be discussed whether such content is acceptable in literature to create a debate [of course it's acceptable, but it could be interesting for students to learn what their peers think]).

I'd also put Uzumaki forward for consideration within art classes and Ernest Shackleton's South (The Endurance Expedition) forward for consideration within geography classes.

>> No.7551027

>Some big ass encyclopedia
>Some first aid book
>Some overview of all of history
>Some science book
>Some history of philosophical ideas

Making them read Infinite JEst or other literature wont make them mroe knowledgeable or make them love literature, you just have to force them to absorb some knowledge about the world around them and give them some basic skills that would help society.

>> No.7551107

Piers Plowman
Giovanni's Room
Mythologies
The Man in the High Castle
Frankenstein

if you can't see why that's the most perfect underage list ever then you're underage yourself

>> No.7551152

>>7550875
Look up what the National Math and Science Initiative does. Weekend sessions where they raffle off giftcards to those who attend. They ran four hour-1/2 sessions with the prize going from a $5 McDonalds/target card up to a $25 B&N/Borders/Amazon, then got everyone together for a $100 Amazon card.

For what you're thinking, maybe run a punchcard system where first-timers are eligable for $5 cards and the regulars get entered for the big ones.

>> No.7551185

>>7550987
I like yours and te justifications you have.

>> No.7551207

>>7551185
Thank you, anon.

>> No.7551224

>>7551207
Specially the idea of Orwell's essays, probably his best works and also pretty poignant. It doesn't try to be some tearjerker (something a lot of HS alternative reading ends up being), focuses a lot on pride and family union. It's a good shock for the kids, better yet together with The Bell Jar. On the other hand Dubliners and Miller will teach them proper english.

All in all I guess you'd be missing some entry level stuff, something to ramp it up before the good stuff. But if I were an english teacher I'd be stealing your ideas right now.

>> No.7551227

How productive is reading lit about HS in HS?

>> No.7551234

>>7551224
I think it'd be a good idea to provide the children/young teens with some more difficult literature though (well, more difficult than the typical entry-level material) as then, if they struggle to grasp with the concepts, it gives more potential for discussions: open questions could be hosted where the class could debate what certain passages mean or how they were intended to be interpreted.

Not to disregard the entry-level literature altogether, but I think that tackling some more challenging works in classes could be more rewarding.

>> No.7551239

Stranger by Camus
Please Sir! by Karinthy
Jakob von Gunten by Walser
Siddartha by Hesse
Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut

Please Sir! and Jakob von Gunten being excellent HS novels, and other three as a good starting point in existentialism, buddhism and philosophy of science and religion.

Also, all are very short reads

>> No.7551247

SIDE POINT, OP's pic is extremely hot.

>>7551234
yeah, but when you think at a national level you have to take in consideration that some kids will love it and many will be unable to grasp anything.
if any of this plans were to be implemented it should demand every enlgish teacher to follow some sort of plan.

>> No.7551258

>>7550936
me too holy shit

>> No.7551281

>implying high schoolers other than nerds actually read
>implying they don't just use sparknotes

>> No.7551291

Probably something that won't turn them away from the medium. Entry level /lit/ would probably suffice:

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man-can help introduce them to experimental literature

Of Mice and Men-short but effective read. Holds emotional weight

One Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich- this is a better alternative to a lot of the Holocaust books that show up on a lot of English courses

Crime and Punishment-Entertaining and shows how effective books are at getting into the psychology of a character

The Stranger-yeah I know it's pretty commonplace but I think a lot of teenagers would like it

>> No.7551303

Studies in Pessimism
The Conspiracy Against the Human Race
The Last Messiah
Better Never to Have Been
The Trouble with Being Born