[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1019 KB, 1240x700, Story.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7549630 No.7549630[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/,

I consider myself a future writer. I'm not published and I've never tried to get published. I have a job. I've always considered any past work I've completed to be practice, basically. That I would somehow "know" when I was ready.

Recently, an idea for a novel has, over quite a long time, started to really take shape in my head. I've been thinking about it and thinking about it and thinking about it, and the pieces are really starting to come together. I've begun writing it. The words and ideas are beginning to flow. I feel like I have a direction and I feel like this might be "the one." I don't necessarily mean "the one" that hits the market and becomes a smash debut novel. It's not that I think it will be a masterpiece. If anything, I mean it feels like it may be "the one" that I'm confident enough to take to someone and say, "I wrote this. This is mine. Will you publish it?" That'd I'd be okay with hearing "no" and continue to move on to the next person and over and over again and still be proud of it, even if I never hear a yes. My point is, for the first time, I'm confident in what I'm doing. It feels good.

But I have a problem.

For the most part, I'm only interested in writing literary fiction. I'm only interested in reading the titans of literature. I'm only interested in writing something that withstands the test of time, so to speak. And, while I appreciate all types of writing, the only work that I feel true interest in doing is work that, at least in my opinion, attempts greatness. Naive and callow, I know.

The problem is that when I distill this new idea I'm working on to its most basic, if I'm being honest with myself, it sounds relatively formulaic. Yet, when I think about the possibilities and where I intend to go with it all in my head, it sounds extraordinary.

I guess I'm asking you guys for help in breaking down great works of literature to their cores. Help me get over this hurdle in my head.

Whether it's green text or a brief summary or however, what great books sound formulaic when you break them down as far as they can go?

>> No.7549653

>>7549630
Isn't this what English class is for? Also writing workshops