[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.03 MB, 1524x2379, A1bCf-Xhe4L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7515211 No.7515211 [Reply] [Original]

I'm not sure if this deserves a post but I haven't cringed so hard from reading a book before. My cousin sent me this for christmas saying her and her son really loved it and that I might, too.

After the first few chapters, I felt like I had just scrolled through the front pages of reddit... literally not a single original idea, just regurgitated pop culture references.

How does something like this get published and acquire so many good reviews?

I wrote a story about finding an easter egg with my friends in a Gameboy game for a second grade writing project and this guy publishes a novel based on the same concept.

I am really just offended by this book. Has anyone else managed to get through it?

>> No.7515243

It banks on the 'nudge nudge wink wink' effect. People feel accomplished and part of the club if they 'get' the quirky nerd references or something.

>> No.7515370

>>7515211
>cringed so hard
>implying you don't belong on Reddit

>> No.7515387

>>7515211
Got through it. Had no problem with it other than it was a silly YA novel.

Honestly who cares. It's just nostalgia, like how Star Wars has kept on being a thing even though the last halfway good film was in 1983.