[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 205x350, Snowcrash.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7444746 No.7444746 [Reply] [Original]

Everyone loves shitty ridiculous predictions but are there any futurist or scifi novels that really nailed things that came to exist after they were written?

Neal Stephenson has an uncanny ability for this, giving detailed technical descriptions of Google Earth, Second Life, the Oculus Rift, Bitcoin, crowdsourcing and Cryptolocker as much as 20 years before they existed.

>> No.7444763

Kinda think your stretching current shit to fit his stuff but I haven't read it in a while. enjoyable but the sex stuff was very cringe worthy as was that guy's name. Hiro Protagonist?? cmon man. Hugh Person is a way funnier name

>> No.7445005

>>7444763
>the sex stuff was very cringe worthy

Not going to lie, I jerked it to the part where they talked about getting gangbanged and sold into sex slavery by pirates

>> No.7445014
File: 76 KB, 610x472, viajealaluna[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7444746
>Neal Stephenson
I really wish he didnt partake in that Kickstarter scam for a sword fighting game. I used to really like him, and now I just cant.

Anyway, Jules Verne is very good at this. He predicted, among others:
>the submarine
>the helicopter
>the moon landing
>the steampunk culture

>> No.7445019

>>7445014
I suppose Asimov also qualifies.
He predicted stuff like Youtube, Facebook, global coverage communication, the Internet in general.
Also unlike other techies of his time, he predicted that robots in the early 21th century wont be any good, or much common, at a time when everybody thought we'd have androids and artificial humans by now.

>> No.7445280
File: 38 KB, 205x300, Starship_Troopers_(novel).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Aside from the stuff like power armor and personal radars, Starship Troopers was pretty spot-on for modern infantry equipment.

I think the USMC still has it on their reading list.