[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.45 MB, 2747x3500, f_hitler_a_20141124.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7434764 No.7434764[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What's your job /lit/

>> No.7434776

I prepare japanese food for rich people.

>> No.7434779

I'm a temporarily embarrassed millionaire.

>> No.7434790

Barman.

>> No.7434802
File: 179 KB, 1209x756, 1449106854971.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7434764
receiving welfare

>> No.7434805

I work for an small Architects designing housing. My friend got me the job after the last assistant was fired for incompetance. Its nice to have someone you can joke with at work.

Our boss is a disorganised indian man who also happens to be a Freemason. I think he uses his influence there to help get work for us.

>> No.7434807

>>7434802
REEEEEEEEE

>> No.7434831

>>7434764
This painting is fucking terrible

>> No.7434839

law student right now. Hopefully in about 7 months I'll graduate and have a professional position

>> No.7434841

Cashier
I read during downtime so it can be pretty satisfying

>> No.7434848

Honestly, that painting isn't as godawful as pop culture makes Hitler's works out to be. However, it is hardly something worthy of the great art academies of Europe, especially around the time it was produced.

I work as a manager at bagel shop/cafe/sandwich shop type deal. However in the near future I plan on opening my own cafe/FLGS/bookstore with community events using the knowledge I've obtained from work and study. I also moonlight as an anthropology student.

>> No.7434849

>>7434805
Super jelly desu

>>7434841
Same but I get in trouble because Sears and corporate bullshit. Fucking hate it

>> No.7434853

>>7434839
I heard if you don't have a job by the beginning of 3L, you were pretty much either not going to get a job or end up getting a job that pays like 35k a year.

Is that true? Is this your fate? If so, what went wrong? Bad grades?

>> No.7434857

Paramedic on the west coast.

>> No.7434887

>>7434853

Will I get a 35k job? probably. Well, probably more like 50k. Even the worse law positions aren't 35k. My grades are below average, but it's a tier 1 school and I worked at several different firms, which is a +. Of course, if you ball hard being an actual lawyer you could certainly move up the ladder to a better paying job, or just open up your own office with a friend or something. The job market for lawyers isn't as awful as people think, especially if you taper your expectations. Even the brightest law students shouldn't be expected 100k right out of law school. Those types of jobs are mainly corporate anyways, and I hate that shit.

People think the job market is terrible for lawyers these days because about 5 years ago the market was flooded with law grads. But once the news started reporting about it people stopped going to law school so it's leveled out again.

I personally don't enjoy law work that much but I can tolerate it.

>> No.7434891

>>7434831
It's because of people like you that WW2 started

>> No.7434904

>>7434887

How old are you?

>> No.7434907

>>7434904

>> No.7434913

>>7434887
Interesting. I also heard that bar exam scores were the lowest they've been in 30 years. Professors have gone on the record saying the students are worse (lazier, less intelligent, distracted). Are you one of these students?

>> No.7434937

>>7434887
What is your preferred area of law? My parents are both lawyers (dad was a crown prosecutor, now only does defence work pretty much, mom used to do big time corporate stuff but hated it, now does property/local business/wills and estates, the like).

They got married in the eighties and moved to a small town to start their own smalltime firm, they say it was by far the best decision they've ever made, despite making maybe half of what they could if they had stayed in the big city.

They still make enough to have built their own amazing home in one of the nicer communities on the Pacific coast of Canada, take regular trips to Europe, raised three kids through sports, music, and everything else.

>> No.7434939

unemployed right now. I'm a freshman at my CC. I plan on looking for jobs when I get my driver's license (which will be in about 2 months)

>> No.7434944

>>7434764
I am an electrical engineer. I will probably go back to college to study something else though, and probably work as a teacher.

>> No.7434946

>>7434913
Lol yea probably. I scored really high on the LSAT and got a full tuition scholarship and I think they were disappointed in my performance, which should have been much higher I imagine.

I think my situation's unique because it's not like I want to be a complacent student. I genuinely try to get my shit together and focus. I try meditating, eating healthy, exercising, to give some structure to my life, but I never can seem to successfully integrate into my daily routine. Obviously that's my fault. I blame myself. But unlike I lot of people, the intent is there at least, even though the discipline is not.

>> No.7434964

Son

>> No.7434965

I am a consultant for my college's writing center.

>> No.7434969

>>7434764
I grade standardized tests

It's very comfortable, $40k and I do it from home. Pretty much just read essays sometimes, or listen to people's responses to audio prompts and grade them.

Got a bit real yesterday when the question I was listening to responses for was something about "what have you done recently that you would have never seen yourself doing ten years ago." One guy's friend had died in a airplane crash, and he thought he'd never get into a plane again, but recently traveled overseas. A girl said she was an honor student in high school who wanted to get her doctorate, but ten years later she had since "fell in with a bad crowd", got pregnant and would have only been a disappointment her ten years younger self.

>> No.7434975

>>7434965
I did that for a while. How's the student body for yours? I only ever got a handful of competent papers. Mostly a shit ton of lab reports.

>> No.7434983

>>7434937
That's cool. And that's kind of what I meant by "taper expectations". Your parents had a mature outlook and gave up financial opportunities in exchange for an overall healthier work/life balance.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. I considered wanting to join the Navy JAG program and become a military lawyer, but I have some health issues that concern me (arrhythmias, scoliosis). Instead I'll probably find work as a criminal defender, either in a public defenders office or at a private firm. Beyond that I don't know. I'm thinking about returning to my home town since it's near the beach and I like to surf. The way I envision it right now is to go back to my hometown, get a 45k job, and then live out a simple lifestyle doing what I love, which is reading and surfing, and maybe travel some in between. Sorry for my blog, I just kinda got into it.

>> No.7435001

>>7434983
That sounds really great man, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

>> No.7435022

I'm an anarchic rhizomaticist who refuses to have his flows of desire coded and arranged to the power of the despotic signifier. I'm saving the world from the tyranny of oedipal repression one motherfucker at atime

>> No.7435024

>>7434969
sounds sorta interesting but I can see someone getting jaded with something like that real fast. How long have you've been doing it? Do you plan on doing something else career wise?

>> No.7435032

>>7434764
professional suicide ruminater.

>> No.7435051

>>7434887
Are you really a 3L? You seem horribly misinformed. Many people certainly do make in the low to mid 30s their first year(s) in the legal field, and the brightest law students from top-tier schools absolutely make over 100k. My cousin was one of those. Those numbers really have a lot to do with where you are practicing, as well as the field which you mentioned. Also, the job market is still pretty shitty, although it is considerably better than it was 10 years ago. Even 5 years ago it wasn't nearly as bad as it was about 5 years before that.

>> No.7435059

I move boxes and box accessories

>> No.7435062

Editor-in-chief of a university's student newspaper.

>> No.7435078

>>7435051
For those low to mid 30s jobs, think entry-level attorney positions working for various state agencies.

>> No.7435098
File: 54 KB, 434x650, 1445772267475.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7434764
I'm 23, leeching my parents and feeling guilty about it.
I still have to finish college, and they want me to finish before getting a job, but I'm afraid by then I'll be too old to be considered for a job, plus the majors I study (double major) are not going to get me a job unless I go to graduate school.

Every time I see someone working I think I would like to be him - someone who finish his daily duties and can have the rest of the time for himself. I'm afraid that this is something I may not be able to aspire - even after graduate school research positions are hard to get, and the pressure to produce more and better may be overwhelming, producing nothing but stress in order to feed my hungry vanity.

I want to reach a point where expectations are over, and I don't want to go further beyond, because happiness does not depend immediately of external conditions. I have thought of becoming a monk and staying in a monastery, there I could study for the sake of study, but I'm far too coward to take that step.

>> No.7435106
File: 361 KB, 464x563, 1361020896793.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7435032

>> No.7435138

>>7434764

I work in a call centre and my hobby is writing short fantasy/horror stories. I'm not particularly good and I've released my first ebook with zero interest from even people I know, but it's soothing in a weird sort of way.

>> No.7435147

>>7435138
POGO <3

>> No.7435155

>>7435147

Sorry, what does that mean?

>> No.7435181

Recently became a deckhand on a workboat. I mostly dislike it. I dislike almost every job I do. I wish I didn't.

>> No.7435198

>>7434975
The majority of what I see are essays for basic English courses, but I see lab reports fairly frequently too. The quality usually ranges from mediocre to abysmal. Though, I suppose that's the product of my state's shitty quality of education.

>> No.7435283

>>7435024
I think it's easier to get jaded with the essays. I was grading elementary school level essay writing for a few months and every day I lost more faith in the general intelligence of people. On a four point score, literally 1 in 100 students would make a 4. Most didn't even make a 3. The vast majority were what I would have thought was considered retarded. I wondered how so many could just.. not try. Or not even have the ability to try.

What I've been grading mostly the past several months are for adults entering university and graduate school, so they're all intelligent and well-spoken, if occasionally bad at English as a second language. Nothing like the horrors of American grade school essays.

I'm in graduate school myself, plan to be a professor, but this is definitely good side income as I'm likely to be stuck adjuncting, since I can make whatever hours I like. I've been about a year at it so far, on a few different tests. The variety of tests probably keeps it from getting too stale too.

>> No.7435284

Engineer and i don't care for it

>> No.7435296

>>7435198
Any student who has to take Freshman English in college and didn't already test out of it is already starting at a much lower bar than what you're hoping for.

It's an interesting fact in composition studies that nearly all English professors, the ones stuck teaching first and second year English courses in university, were the students who never had to take those courses themselves.

>> No.7435311

>>7435098
>I have thought of becoming a monk and staying in a monastery, there I could study for the sake of study
Is this really what life as a monk is like? How does a monastery fund itself? As far as I know, monasteries aren't full of NEETs doing nothing with themselves, so I imagine life as a monk isn't just chilling out and meditating all the time. Right?

>> No.7435347

>>7435283
Elementary schools are extremely bad nowadays. Seriously. I'm sure I would be one of those kids who you would consider retarded. Give them a few years. When I was a sophomore in high school, that's when my intelligence really kicked in.

>> No.7435366

>>7435296
Interesting. At my college you can't test out of the basic English courses. I did shitty the first time (it was 6am and I was up all night). I retook it and I got the highest level (for freshman, English 101: Academic Composition). I hate it but it's preparing me for the college essays.

>> No.7435391

>>7434944
Why? That's usually considered desirable job.

>> No.7435467

>>7434764
High school Latin teacher, fresh outta undergrad. I like it but it's not challenging enough for me. Plus I miss being a scholar and doing research. Going to go back to grad school to become a professor.

Right now I'm finishing out the year, reading a ton of Latin and Greek in my free time, and applying to schools.

>> No.7435485

>>7435467
Sounds scarce
Where's the school you teach at? There's only like two I can think of around here that have Latin

>> No.7435499

>>7435311
Different Orders work in different industries. Some are mendicants and survive solely on donations from their local community, others are supported by the local diocese, and some engage in some sort of industry to support themselves, most famously the Trappists.

>> No.7435511

>>7435485
I live in the US, Pennsylvania specifically. There are more high school Latin teachers than you'd think. I teach at a private school but I know of several public schools that offer it in my area. We have enough programs to put on a Latin festival at a nearby college in the spring. It's usually one teacher per school though; it sucks to not have someone to readily bounce ideas off of.

>> No.7435541
File: 56 KB, 640x480, 1406311904399.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

College dropout, currently working in the least enjoyable position at a hotel for yuppies. I take out the garbage, vacuum hallways, pick up after housekeepers after their breaks, and scrub toilets on the daily. I push a foul smelling cart around all day and load plastic bags full of diapers and shoe boxes and beer bottles and broken champagne glasses into a dumpster that's neglected by the municipal authorities, and have cut myself on shattered bottles of wine more times than I've had sex in the laundry room.

Unfortunately for my ego, I have placed myself into a position of humiliating labor. It keeps me humble and enforces the work ethic I place myself into while writing my novel, constantly reminding me that I am low, and I must labor to become wiser and more learned. I read every day, and write every morning, and spend my weekends at a bookstore watching people who make more money than I sip five dollar coffees while I nurse my free hotel coffee that I brought myself.

LISTEN TO ME /LIT/, you can make it through virtue and hard work. The path will be long, and hard, and frustrating, but as long as you focus on your own improvement and seek higher understanding and harmony beyond that of mortal men, you will rise to levels you did not know possible for yourself.

>> No.7435616

I am a college grad, seo-focused copywriter. Not glamorous or particularly high paying but there's room for advancement and its easier/much more flexible than retail and lets me explore new ideas while I get paid.

>> No.7435625

>>7434857

That's dope, I'm getting my EMT cert next semester and hoping to get a gig as a fireman. Do you like your work?

>> No.7435642

>>7435098

100% guarantee tbat more than a few of the people you envy are better at looking the part than playing it.

>> No.7435663

>>7435181
what kind of work, and boat, specifically? I'm in that industry.

>> No.7435685
File: 60 KB, 550x531, 12063628_10153671234853343_7844726393806583904_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ayy lmao, I'm joining the navy for rotary wing aviation. Super excited. Once I get out of the military 8-10 years or so, I'll probably work piloting forest fires or go to grad school (I'm an environmental science major).

But until I actually move on to OCS and then pilot school, I do urban forestry. I just get paid 15/hr to walk around the city and measure/diagnose tree health while listening to audiobooks for 8 hours a day. SUPER FUCKING COMFY.

>>7435625
Not the poster, but EMT is a nice gig. The class is super fun and it's all good people. Everyone instantly is impressed when you mention it.

You need to be aware that firefighter is not an easy job to land at the moment. I think there are more volunteer firefighters in the US than there are paid ones. And you better bet that if a firehouse is going to be paying you 60-100k/yr that they want you to be qualified.

Most people do EMT, go straight into paramedic school, and then work on private ambulance companies for 1-3 years before getting hired onto an actual department.

The only way to fast-track into a fire department is to be a really good tester, know family in the department, have military experience as a combat medic, or have a fire science degree.

Also, most EMTs are glorified taxi drivers (this depends on additional certifications/location/system practices though). Exciting calls get directed to paramedic vehicles and even then, because of how fucked up our medical system is, private companies want you doing nothing but transports as a medic (they bill hire for medic transports than EMT transports -- about 10 times as much).

Most of the cool stuff goes to firefighters. If that's what your heart is telling you, you'll make it and absolutely love it.

>> No.7435690

>>7435296
Hm, that's interesting. As far as I'm aware, all students here are required to take at least the two basic english composition courses. However, there are remedial english courses offered here too that may be more akin to what you're talking about.

>>7435366
Yeah, the classes usually suck, but they're good opportunity to better your writing.

>> No.7435698

>>7434805
>I think he uses his influence there to help get work for us.
He does. A big part of being a mason is helping and getting helped by other masons.

>> No.7435706

>>7434969
How do I do this?

>> No.7435723

>>7434848
>my own cafe/FLGS/bookstore

Hegel's Bagels?

>> No.7435745

i work in a call center. the people are ok, and the days pass fine enough, but i still want to kill myself.

i would like a job that is somewhat physically active and that i get to go to a number of different places and do a variety of things all day. preferably also requiring some degree of high level thought. i will never have a job like this.

>> No.7435749

I work in customer service to try and fit in, I don't need the money but it's nice to know it's there if I need it one day.
I mostly do it for to do during the day instead of waiting until I'm tired enough to sleep.

>> No.7435755

>>7435098
I'm in a similar position and I am thinking of getting my masters and maybe phd for the knowledge but just living off of a trade. Have you considered that?

I want stone masonry ideally.

>> No.7435781

Software dev.

Awesome pay + work life for an associate degree.

>> No.7435785

>>7435723
Simpsons did it

>> No.7435790

Graduating soon with an engineering degree that will probably get me nowhere, shit grades and shit school and such. Looking forward to the few months I'll have bumming around at my parents' house reading and writing before they force me to get a job.

>> No.7435801

idle rich

>> No.7435813

>>7435690
I didn't mean remedial, I'm talking about those first two composition courses required in university you mentioned. Most people who would major in English in university already tested out of those classes with AP/dual credit testing during high school.

>>7435706
You can do it with Educational Testing Service and Pearson, I haven't looked around for others. Most want you to have teaching experience or be currently teaching, and at the very least they all require a Bachelors (in something humanities-y for most of them, or languages). But otherwise I'm not sure what makes them pick who they pick; it seems all a little random.

>> No.7435822

NEET living off the kindness of my mother.

You don't know how good it feels to have all the free time in the world, wagies.

>> No.7435855

>>7435541
>have cut myself on shattered bottles of wine more times than I've had sex in the laundry room.
so, once?

>> No.7435858

I'm 18, studying Biomedical Sciences 2/4 years. I'll finish with 20 but I'm thinking about work as a college teacher, I don't know.
Where you live this graduation is a good thing?
I'd like some thoughts

>> No.7435869

I'm a pharmacist working at a university hospital. Debating going back to school for another kind of grad degree on top of my PharmD so I can get into research. Right now I feel like a highly paid retail employee.

>> No.7435912

>>7435858
>Diagnostic imaging
Better than teaching imo.

>> No.7435945

>>7435625

EMT is a fun class actually, enjoy it. Depending on where you live it's hard to get a paid EMT job where you actually get to run your whole scope in the 911 system. Most ambulance contracts in populated counties have to have two paramedics on a 911 rig. EMT's usually get stuck running non-emergency inter-facility transports, or worse yet wheelchair vans. If you live in a rural county/town you may be able to volunteer for your local fire department and run your full scope if it's a transporting agency. Volunteer firefighter is a huge time commitment though and I've seen it consume a few guys. Especially when a paid position opens up, best friends will stab each other in the back to get hired on. EMT's a stepping stone though it's a good way to test the waters and see if EMS is right for you, it's a relatively easy certification to get.

Right now I work for a small private ambulance company that has the 911 contract on the North Oregon coast. Doesn't pay particularly well but I wouldn't expect a small non-union company to do so, living out here it cheap however. I work 40-50 hours a week and get paid to drive around some of the most beautiful landscapes in the country. I'm happy doing what I do for the time being but the long term goal is to get on with a fire department or even Life-Flight. Those are some competitive jobs to get into though.

>> No.7435971

>>7435022
get a life loser

>> No.7435978

>>7434764
Plumber.

>> No.7435996
File: 33 KB, 306x306, IMG-20151010-WA0011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7435022

>> No.7436074
File: 243 KB, 600x445, 1445752355483.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7435755
I may start a masters of a major next year, but I still need another year to finish the other one.
It makes me feel demotivated since people there are usually younger than me.

I have considered taking a different job instead of getting into the academy, but here there aren't much jobs, and if there are, then the pay is very low and you wouldn't be able to live with it (500 us dollars a month is the average salary).

>> No.7436107
File: 54 KB, 847x847, qtj.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i love my retail job
>lots of qts to flirt with
>i have a huge wardrobe now
>lots of writing material
but
>i'm poor af
so i'm looking for something else to do

>> No.7436141

Library, I put the books on the shelves.

>> No.7436155

>>7435022
I am an hermetic sealer and alchemist dedicated to the propogation of the word of thrice great Thoth. I seek to end the tyranny of the Demiurge by speading the mesaage that that which is above corresponds to what is below (and vice versa), may no message prevent you from the symbolic association with diety.

>> No.7436183

>>7435467
Fresh out of undergrad? No masters degree and you're able to teach high school? interesting.

>> No.7436206

>>7434965
Is that you, Matt?

>> No.7436215

>>7436183

There's a shortage of teachers these days. Especially in the math/science fields. Buddy of mine just got a job teaching algebra, he just turned 23. Seems odd getting out of high school, spending 4 years in college then going right back to highschool. He said most of his class mates were getting invitations for interviews, especially in rural districts.

>> No.7436240

I'm a plasma physicist. I'm not very good.

>> No.7436246

hedge fund

>> No.7436334

>>7435855
Exactly

>> No.7436344
File: 81 KB, 1280x720, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7434764
I'm in an odd limbo between super senior and college freshman.
I got kicked out of my high school last April and wasn't able to graduate as a result. I only need one more class and then I'll get my degree in June.
I'm taking the classes I need at my community college.
In addition to counting towards my HS diploma, they are also going towards an AA degree.
Still not 100% what I want to get it in. Kind of been doing specialty classes I am interested in that also fulfill basic requirements.

I'm still living with my parents, turn 19 in a week, no job.
My plan overall is after I get my AA degree to go the Merchant Marines Academy in Vermont (or is it New Hampshire?). I'll go into that and become an officer on a cargo ship. You get pretty decent pay and I won't really have many bills to pay because I'll be gone most of the year and will probably live with my parents the few times I am on land.
After a couple years of that I plan on buying a small little house near L.A. and pursuing acting. Acting is my one true love. That being said I love the ocean and traveling which is why I don't mind being a MM, but actings my calling. But I want to have a large amount of money to fall back on so I don't depend on acting for money, which is where the MM comes in.

>> No.7436381
File: 431 KB, 1280x934, IMG-20150911-WA0000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7436344

You sound fucking autistic

>> No.7436387

I help people get their social security disability at a law firm.

>> No.7436390

>>7436344
why were you kicked out of school? drug shit? fighting? or was it something retarded like "i'm really smart but not motivated so i didn't go to school hurrrrr"

>> No.7436395

>>7436206
Ain't me, bruh

>> No.7436404

>>7434764

This: I'm a professional freelance writer who has made prominent contributions to Harper's, The Paris Review, Vanity Fair, The Columbus Bicentennial, The New York Times (a cute little op-ed piece on police brutality, when it was still in toto), The New Yorker (though I readily regret THAT), Entertainment Weekly, and The Atlantic. I also sail antique Schooners in my free-time.

>> No.7436405

>>7436381
Actually this year I found out I have autism.
So you're not wrong.
>>7436390
My former best friend (attempted to) torch my ex's car and slashed her tires.
Meanwhile he planted evidence against me and said it was me.

>> No.7436409

>>7436405
>My former best friend (attempted to) torch my ex's car and slashed her tires.
>Meanwhile he planted evidence against me and said it was me.

damn shitsux bro, why would he do that to your ex and frame you? was he fucking her?

>> No.7436410

>>7436405
>>7436409
also i guess getting expelled is getting off easy in that case, you could easily be in prison right now

>> No.7436427

>>7436409
2 days after she broke up with me both me and my friend stayed the night at her house (Her and I were still trying to be friends). I got blackout drunk and passed out on the floor and I found out later on that apparently they did some shit while I was fucking drunk on the floor passed out. Plus he was kind of crazy. He always started shit and had been called into the principals office for threatening other students on facebook before.
>>7436410
I'm fighting it in court right now actually.
Charged with 2 felonies and 1 misdemeanor.
There is a decent amount of evidence in my favor and a lack of evidence in the prosecutor's but I think my lawyer is going to be able to get them reduced and with a conditional term so that if I don't do any illegal shit for 2 years they'll be wiped from my record.
I'd rather have that then a 50/50 trial case.

>> No.7436428
File: 261 KB, 566x973, 1448565765552.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7436206

lol anon my name is matt but i dont do that i finger my butthole with sharpies and consume glue hurr

>> No.7436432

>>7434764
Shitposting shitposts. I'm a shitposting shitposter.

>> No.7436438

Is it strange I recognised Adolf Hitler's style straight away and it filled my heart with joy for the first time in a month?

>> No.7436443

>>7436404
Why do you regret contributing to The New Yorker? They paid me significantly more than every other publication, including some of the others you mentioned.

>> No.7436444

>>7434764
I'm 23 y/o, i was a neet for 2 years after i left college, for now i'm working as a freelance translator and doing undergrad studies in music. I don't know what the fuck to "do" with my life, even tought translation pays well is somehow stressfull and sometimes boring.

>> No.7436453

>>7436427
Dang, good luck with all that. Sounds like a really shitty situation all around. Don't let it stall your life; keep working on your education and job experience.

>> No.7436457

>>7436438
>Is it strange I recognised Adolf Hitler's style straight away

no, it's pretty easy to tell, what with all the shoddy perspectives and shadowing

>> No.7436462

>>7436453
Thanks man.
It's been pretty shitty honestly. Was hard for me to give over her and almost as hard having my best friend throughout all of highschool stab me in the back.
But I'm hopeful it will all turn out for the best.
Just working on schooling and preppin' for the future.

>> No.7436473

>>7436443
Because they're hyper-pretentious with no substance to back it up: plump with pomp, I always say.

>> No.7436489

>>7436473
> plump with pomp,
Saying that out loud made me physically uncomfortable. If I read that in a publication or heard a person say that irl I would want to stay away from the writer/speaker.

>> No.7436565

>>7436489
Sounds like someone's never romped with rumps.

>> No.7436598

>>7435822
Your mother and likely your entire family resents you.

I like my job, and it pays well enough to let me do most of the things I want in life like traveling and taking time off to write and compose. Last year I motorcycled across Japan for a month while writing short stories, had an absolute ball meeting new people, trying new things, and having nights of wild abandon with Japanese girls.

But I'm sure depending on someone who resents you to live a life of shitposting, reading, and stagnation is also fun. Lots of free time, I imagine,

>> No.7436609

>>7436565
Oh I've romped with rumps but I would never plump with pomps (BECAUSE PUTTING "PL" RIGHT NEXT TO "PO" SOUNDS LIKE NAILS ON A CHALKBOARD FUCK DUDE)

>> No.7436614

English professor (non-tenure track, so instructor technically).

Shit pay, read freshman comp essays all the damn time. Thought I could work on my novel with this job, hell no.

>> No.7436615

>>7436404
>>7436473
yo anon how much are you usually paid for the op-ed work? i had assumed NYT (specifically) wouldn't pay for submissions but i guess i was mistaken?

>> No.7436639

>>7436609
You poor plum of a man, words shouldn't register a physical reflex in you unless they come from an overbearing, over-expectant, or over-ovulating parent. That, or a partner you've wronged and have lost the chance to right.

>>7436615
I received $350 for that one, but I only got the gig because my friend's brother is one of the editors.

>> No.7436646

>>7436639
hmm 2bh when you made that terrible noise I honestly just assumed you were probably a terrible writer (it sounded about like an undergrad making an obvious lewis carrol reference) who got that job based on privilege/connections but maybe you're not too terrible (also all your guesses are off but I can see why those particular things would be the guesses you chose - well done).

>> No.7436654

>>7436639
Also do you actually not think certain sounds in the english language are just shrill (not that shrill can't be useful - it was useful in that post but the way you used it initially suggested something you'd just through out in everyday speech)? Do you not say these things out loud?

>> No.7436675

>>7436639

damn tasty 350gp i can buy a few chikins n roast them for that much. thanks for the hoe down (even if it was nepotism)

could you enlighten me about the payments from the other magazines? im very interested

>> No.7436688

>>7435663
I have an OS rating and work on tugboats. How about you? I wonder if I would be happier working on bigger boats and for better companies, but I'm not sure if I want to stick around in the industry long enough to get there. Some of the people I work with kind of scare me.

>> No.7436702

I work in the university library and in a warehouse, and I'm a student

Library job is fucking incredible but hard to get lots of regular hours

>> No.7436743

>>7436654
No, I totally agree with that. I think there's good reason that 'cellar door,' for example, is so often lauded for being mellifluous, whereas, say, 'moist ointment' is almost universally agreed to sound revolting. Imagery definitely plays a part in people's reactions, but there is also a definite onomatopoeic aspect to many words. Squish, crisp, crumble, tart, all these have syllabic characteristics related to their definitions, and I hardly think that's a pure coincidence. Also, I've noticed that the more syllables a word has in comparison to a shorter synonym, the more often it correlates to some sort of higher social status, be it hierarchical or merely intellectual: magistrate-judge, avaricious-greed, tintinnabulation-ringing, pulchritudinous-pretty. These might not be the best examples, but they at least roughly show the correlation, I hope. Basically, big words imply a big vocabulary which imply authority in some way or another, or maybe I should 'Brobdingnagian' and 'supremacy.' And to take self-referentiality to Escher-like proportions, just look at the words: pentasyllabic, hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia (the fear of big words), and sesquipedalian.

Anyway, it's only vaguely related, but there's a pretty interesting article called 'Are Lemons Fast or Slow?' Most people reflexively guess 'fast' because, as she explains in the article, we naturally associate the traits of things with abstract concepts that have no real direct relation to the things in themselves, such as sourness with speed–though, to be fair, lips pucker pretty instantly at the taste of tartness.

>> No.7436749

>>7436675
The payment prices posted to this site http://whopays.scratchmag.net/ are pretty standard

>> No.7436751

>>7434764
Studying at the honors college of a mid-tier university. Graduating in a year with: major in European History, minor in Philosophy, Secondary Education Certificate, Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies certificate. Probably gonna teach high school after I get my master's.

>> No.7436755

>>7436743
Quality post. Thanks for the article rec; will read.

>> No.7436794

>>7435685

Good luck my man, thanks for the response. I know it's a long road but I'm really excited for the class and uh, I have a backup in another field.

>>7435945

Thank you for the info. Even if nothing comes out of the class I'm sure it'll be a really eye-opening experience. Got the CPR cert last week and I'm excited to go ahead with it.

>> No.7436803

English teacher in a small independent school.

>> No.7436808
File: 43 KB, 504x350, 1445893333759.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well reading through this thread sure won't me me depressed.

>> No.7436814

>>7436755
Cheers, compatriot–!

>> No.7436816

selling legal weed. I hate stoner culture.

>> No.7436846

>>7436816
I write shitposts on as many boards as possible, but I hate 4chan with all my hearts.

>> No.7437025

I'm a biotech engineering student

everything that has to do with biology in my program is pretty interesting actually

>> No.7437041

>>7434764
I knew immediately that Hitler painted that, just by how terrible the perspective is.

>> No.7437086

>>7437041
Did you also immediately know that Machiavelli is satire and that H.P. Lovecraft has purple prose and other opinions you've memorized from seeing others say them with pretended authority?

>> No.7437091

D A T A C U C K
A
T
A
C
U
C
K

>> No.7437093

>>7436598
Not that guy but you are laughably retarded.

>motorcycling and writing short stories

Fucking kill yourself seriously.

>> No.7437095

>>7437093
I'll kill you with my motorcycle you fucking bitch. Didn't think I was still lurking, did you?

>> No.7437102

>>7437086
you had to be told lovecraft has purple prose? i feel sorry for you.

>> No.7437104

>>7437102
It's a meme, anon.

>> No.7437138

I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.

>> No.7437150

>>7437138
i kek every tiem

but i also wonder if he's commited sudoku. you don't talk shit like that unless you're covering up something

>> No.7437170

>>7435869
i aint so bad. im getting low 60s an hour and i have to deal with a few crazies a week.