[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 12 KB, 220x362, No_Longer_Human_(Osamu_Dazai_novel)_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7428473 No.7428473 [Reply] [Original]

Do you think a depressed person should delve into literature that deals with very depressing matters? Even if the work is amazing or profound, is it worth reading and possibly negatively affecting your depression or avoiding is those authors completely the best route?

Taking a look on the recommended reading on "depressing" topics, a lot seem interesting, but are the interesting topics worth feeling like shit while and after reading it for a while?

>> No.7428474

>>7428473
if by 'depressing' you mean 'truthful', then sure.

:^)

>inb4bootyblastedoptimists

>> No.7428475

The depressed reader always stands a chance to gain insight and perspective by seeing the void through another person's eyes.

Surly the exposure to such triggers could worsen the depression....but one should never shy away from their issues

>> No.7428478

>>7428473
I think that depression is a useful frame of reference. It's difficult for people to realistically assess the risks of existence without it. To see with open eyes the depth of the horror that's possible, and the kind of 'it can happen to anybody' thing, it definitely brings that out.

>> No.7429261

I've found there can be a paradoxical effect to sad works of art. More often than not instead of exacerbating your depression they bring comfort. Make you feel less lonely because at last there's someone else out there who's felt the same things.

>> No.7429268

>>7428474
literally go back to reddit

read all the negative shit you like but retain a sense of optimism and hope for better times.

>> No.7429339

Reading NLH you will realize that you are a little bitch because you aren't Oba.

>> No.7429383 [DELETED] 

> Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

embrace god and the veil of shadow shall be lifted.

>> No.7429421

>>7429261
this is the reason why I always return to /r9k/