[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 62 KB, 750x736, 1447908391690.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7411325 No.7411325 [Reply] [Original]

Are Shia, James, and all their sycophants on to something here, or is this just another low tier permutation of postmodernism, which will literally never go away?

The "Metamodernist Manifesto:"
>1. We recognise oscillation to be the natural order of the world.

>2. We must liberate ourselves from the inertia resulting from a century of modernist ideological naivety and the cynical insincerity of its antonymous bastard child.

>3. Movement shall henceforth be enabled by way of an oscillation between positions, with diametrically opposed ideas operating like the pulsating polarities of a colossal electric machine, propelling the world into action.

>4. We acknowledge the limitations inherent to all movement and experience, and the futility of any attempt to transcend the boundaries set forth therein. The essential incompleteness of a system should necessitate an adherence, not in order to achieve a given end or be slaves to its course, but rather perchance to glimpse by proxy some hidden exteriority. Existence is enriched if we set about our task as if those limits might be exceeded, for such action unfolds the world.

>5. All things are caught within the irrevocable slide towards a state of maximum entropic dissemblance. Artistic creation is contingent upon the origination or revelation of difference therein. Affect at its zenith is the unmediated experience of difference in itself. It must be art’s role to explore the promise of its own paradoxical ambition by coaxing excess towards presence.

>6. The present is a symptom of the twin birth of immediacy and obsolescence. Today, we are nostalgists as much as we are futurists. The new technology enables the simultaneous experience and enactment of events from a multiplicity of positions. Far from signalling its demise, these emergent networks facilitate the democratisation of history, illuminating the forking paths along which its grand narratives may navigate the here and now.

>7. Just as science strives for poetic elegance, artists might assume a quest for truth. All information is grounds for knowledge, whether empirical or aphoristic, no matter its truth-value. We should embrace the scientific-poetic synthesis and informed naivety of a magical realism. Error breeds sense.

>8. We propose a pragmatic romanticism unhindered by ideological anchorage. Thus, metamodernism shall be defined as the mercurial condition between and beyond irony and sincerity, naivety and knowingness, relativism and truth, optimism and doubt, in pursuit of a plurality of disparate and elusive horizons. We must go forth and oscillate!

#watchmewatchyouwatchingmewatchallmymoviesbruh

>> No.7411333

same

>> No.7411335

>>7411325

I would add:

>How to write a manifesto in an age disgusted with them?
>The fatal weakness of manifestos is their inherent lack of evidence
-Rem Koolhaas, Delirious New York

>> No.7411374

>>7411325
>Shia, James

who is james supposed to be here?

>> No.7411439

>>7411374
James Franco

>> No.7411457
File: 36 KB, 650x366, thirstynigga.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7411439
are we on a first name basis with Mr. Franco now?

>> No.7411467

>>7411439
franco is a pseudo-intellectual

shia is at least genuine in his attempts to do things. he's the person franco pretends to be and he's not even that good at it.

>> No.7411543

I don't know what any of this shit means. Isn't making up silly names and manifestos for things reductive and self-defeating? Like, a sunset is a sunset, man.

>> No.7411551

>>7411543
shit bait 0/10

>> No.7411578

>>7411325
>>5. All things are caught within the irrevocable slide towards a state of maximum entropic dissemblance.

Well that one's just factually wrong as far as human affairs are concerned

>> No.7411618

>>7411551
I'm not baiting. Why would I bait?

>> No.7411621

>>7411618
nice try but you wont catch me

>> No.7411636

>>7411621
Ho ho! This is quite metamodernist, because I'm being sincere but also being cheeky and ironic. I'm ossssccciiillllaaaatttiinnngggg mmmaaaaannnnnnn!!!!

>> No.7411654

>>7411636
you're not being sincere even if you think you are.

>> No.7411664

>>7411325
>Movement shall henceforth be enabled by way of an oscillation between positions, with diametrically opposed ideas operating like the pulsating polarities of a colossal electric machine, propelling the world into action.
Reminds me of Double Think

>6. The present is a symptom of the twin birth of immediacy and obsolescence. Today, we are nostalgists as much as we are futurists.
This is really good, and true too.

>> No.7411780

>>7411654
I don't know if you know what you think you know.

This manifesto is a bunch gibberish born from a generation that's so anxiety ridden and so commodified, but at the same time so arrogant, it assumes all their empty bullshit is somehow worthy of a philosophy. It's all an inflated feeling of self-worth intertwined with an inflated feeling of insignificance. Everyone should just blow their brains out and be done with it.

>> No.7411785

>>7411780
ok u start

>> No.7411794
File: 29 KB, 300x199, hammock_life.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't know about you guys, but I love reading in hammocks

>> No.7411800

>>7411333
*acknowledges repeating digits*

>> No.7411808

>>7411785
Oh man, you want me to kill myself, but you really wouldn't wish death on another person would you? That's pretty metamodernist. That's pretty oscillatory.

>> No.7411833

>>7411780
Nah, the acknowledgement that there is a balance between adult cynicism and the starry-eyed optimism of childhood (roughly analogous with the pre-scientific era of humanity) is a valuable insight and one we sorely need. Everything is balance. You can think love and beauty are social constructs, but you'd be an idiot to deny their pull. You can know love is just chemicals in the brain, but you can still be in awe that chemicals in your brain gave you last night.

I'm being corny, but there needs to be a return to a corniness, an unabashed love of pure emotion. To deny this is to deny life.

>> No.7411840

>>7411794
What are the things to look for in a good hammock?

>> No.7412966

>>7411325
what a bunch of utterly banal platitudes

>> No.7413894
File: 39 KB, 366x488, augustus-bust.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7411325
The only thing I can derive from the whole discussion about post-modernism and meta-modernism is that people in the future will mostly think "philosophers" now are the most narcissistic bunch of fags ever, unless ofcourse those future researchers are hyper post meta modern whatever tards.

An "all over movement" like this and trying to "grasp" what movement we are in, etc. is really the most childish, self-centered bullshit to have come out of people in the history of mankind.

Leave all discussions about in what kind of movement we are as a society and creating a new "philosophical art" movement for a whole society is just so nonsensical and condescending to the average person.

TLDR:
>HURRR we are now in post modern era, hurr lets create new era, hurrr it's metamodern because we are so self conscious about our own time huurrr. We are perfectly able to describe ourselves and change ourselves though our "self consiousness" hurrrrrr
also:
>OSCILLATION MEME GUISSS!!!! HURR EVERYTHING IS OSCILLATING DURRRR

Like, really, do they think they can just change a whole culture by writing down some shit on a paper on call it a day? Shit takes decades.

>> No.7413909

>>7411325
This is honestly the most pretentious filth I have had the dishonor to read.

This really shows how some people in our society have so little to do that they start to make up these condescending, "self-conscious" movements out of pure narcissistic intentions ("look at me being self-conscious about our whole culture!!!")

>> No.7413930

>>7413909
>This is honestly the most pretentious filth I have had the dishonor to read.

we can tell you dont read much buddy

>> No.7413939

>>7413930
Hyperbole...

Anyways give me an example of something more pretentious than:
>All things are caught within the irrevocable slide towards a state of maximum entropic dissemblance. Artistic creation is contingent upon the origination or revelation of difference therein. Affect at its zenith is the unmediated experience of difference in itself. It must be art’s role to explore the promise of its own paradoxical ambition by coaxing excess towards presence.

Especially the last sentence..."It must be art's role..." ... must be...
Seriously? It "must be"...

Also the oscillation meme...

>> No.7413941

>>7411794
Oh yeah.

>>7411840
good fabric, makes no noise, good level of tension.

>> No.7413947

>>7413939
>Anyways give me an example of something more pretentious than:
>averagely pretentious sentence

thanks for proving me right m8

>> No.7413961

>>7413947
>not actually providing a sentence more pretentious

thx 4 provng me rite m8tie

>> No.7413963

They are writing a lot of fluff for something that was addressed in the second point. Still, I don't think their wrong. Just unfinished.

>> No.7413966

>>7413963
dude oscillate lmao

>> No.7413976

>>7413966
We must oscillate. From one meme to another.

>> No.7414048

Metamodernism isn't going to make it.

Mememodernism is the future we will live in.

>> No.7414105

this stuff sounds like it was randomly extracted out of D&Gs a thousand plateaus

>> No.7414153

>>7411325
This -- >>7413894

There's no point for making a "meta-modernism" manifesto before there's even a body of work that exists to define it with.

If you want "meta-modernism" to be a thing, then make art under the principles you have in mind and see if it manifests over time. But even then, most genres were not consciously created, they sort of evolved.